Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Goobers 5-0 in OT. Are those Corsi numbers sustainable?

They are not winning anything. They are failing miserably in their rebuilding effort. They are being a stereotypicalBuffalo team. Close but no brass ring.

They're winning hockey games.

I had to assume since nobody answered my question.

I don't know what he'd fetch. If it's for picks, I don't know if I'd be down for it other than it helps the tank. All this trade talk about Myers/Stewart/Stafford/Hodgson/Enroth...I want meaningful (close to NHL guys) prospects coming back, or I want players back. Throw in a 1st/2nd or two to get it.

I think Murray's saving his ammo in picks for draft day though so he can move up for a player that he wants. Guy drafted Perry and Getzlaf in a loaded draft in that late stages of the first, so I have hope he can get value out of our picks. Plus, Kevin Devine has shown what he can do with a properly funded scouting staff

I don't know what he'd fetch. If it's for picks, I don't know if I'd be down for it other than it helps the tank. All this trade talk about Myers/Stewart/Stafford/Hodgson/Enroth...I want meaningful (close to NHL guys) prospects coming back, or I want players back. Throw in a 1st/2nd or two to get it.

I think Murray's saving his ammo in picks for draft day though so he can move up for a player that he wants. Guy drafted Perry and Getzlaf in a loaded draft in that late stages of the first, so I have hope he can get value out of our picks. Plus, Kevin Devine has shown what he can do with a properly funded scouting staff

You draft a goaltender once a year hoping one sticks. We've now got one that sticks, so why trade him and HOPE one of the prospects makes the cut? If you take a chance on a forward of defensemen and it doesn't work out, you have a whole lineup to make up for him. It doesn't work that way with goaltenders. There are enough draft picks and FA opportunities to not risk losing one of the most consistent goaltenders in the league.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Does anyone really expect Enorth to maintain his .936 SV% (at even strength) for the entire season? Hasek's career SV% is .922.

Anybody watch the end of the Cane's game last night vs TB? They lost 2-1 with TB "scoring" the winning goal in the final 30s. Both TB's goals were handed to them by the hockey gods.... first on a dump in that took a bad hop off the glass, the second an own goal off the d-man's skate.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2014020426-444-h

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2014020426-575-h

They outshot TB 30-27 and have now lost 7 of their last 10 games by 1 goal.... amazing. Their CorsiFor% is 10th best in the league. With the way Ward played last night, I expect them to go on a run here soon.

Does anyone really expect Enorth to maintain his .936 SV% (at even strength) for the entire season? Hasek's career SV% is .922.

Seems like most of the shots are striaght one, from range and he doesn't see a ton a rebound shots. As long as he keeps making the saves he's suppose to he'll be alright. I'm not looking at his as having been spectacular in there, just above average

For all the complaining about the Sabres being soft for years, you'd think the fans were tough as nails. Bah! One good streak and suddenly sky is falling and we can't compete for the Shart, let alone win it. You're all butter soft! If you really believe in the tank, it's time to man up and overcome this adversity!

It's funny watching Sabre fans melt down over the Sabres winning.

My god did we buy into the suffering mantra.

The spectre of Darcy looms over this franchise like Glen Cochrane over Kenny Linseman's shoulder.

Darcy didn't book the Otters at F'NC.

For all the complaining about the Sabres being soft for years, you'd think the fans were tough as nails. Bah! One good streak and suddenly sky is falling and we can't compete for the Shart, let alone win it. You're all butter soft! If you really believe in the tank, it's time to man up and overcome this adversity!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the CHL is no place for pussies. There are just a handful of posters left (<5?) who have yet to waver in their dedication to the pursuit of the shart.

Soon it will be time to forget McDavid/Eichel...It's just not going to happen. the freaking Oilers are so bad and the Sabres are going to be medicore it looks like.

Soon they should consider trading their #1 picks for some big time players and just end the tank.

I can't think of anything worse than getting the #3 overall pick after two years of it being like there isn't even hockey.

Yeah I can't go through another epoch of "they're are a gritty team, short on talent but blue collar".

Terry used the "g word" on Day One when asked what kinds of players he liked — and he actually answered that question when it shouldn't really matter what kinds of players he likes. (Well, howdy Judge Smell, imagine seeing you here...) Short on talent: the braintrust has already told us they don't think free agency is a viable way of building a team. Elite talent must come in the draft. Good luck. Blue collar? I give you Tim Murray.

I'll pray for you.

You draft a goaltender once a year hoping one sticks. We've now got one that sticks, so why trade him and HOPE one of the prospects makes the cut? If you take a chance on a forward of defensemen and it doesn't work out, you have a whole lineup to make up for him. It doesn't work that way with goaltenders. There are enough draft picks and FA opportunities to not risk losing one of the most consistent goaltenders in the league over the last 6 weeks.

Fixed.

Hahhahahaha, I'm glad you're posting more now of days TBP. I don't want to give up on this thing yet but damn our D looks stingy.

With only one class worth of research papers left to grade, my posting frequency is ready to go back up. Prepare for numbers and optimism (in the CHL thread context, anyway)!

To all who doubt the tank, let me ask this: do you think Enroth is the greatest goaltender ever born by a wide margin? If the answer is no, then you need not panic. If you think the answer is yes, then I suggest you seek help elsewhere :P

Anybody watch the end of the Cane's game last night vs TB? They lost 2-1 with TB "scoring" the winning goal in the final 30s. Both TB's goals were handed to them by the hockey gods.... first on a dump in that took a bad hop off the glass, the second an own goal off the d-man's skate.

http://video.nhl.com...014020426-444-h

http://video.nhl.com...014020426-575-h

They outshot TB 30-27 and have now lost 7 of their last 10 games by 1 goal.... amazing. Their CorsiFor% is 10th best in the league. With the way Ward played last night, I expect them to go on a run here soon.

No, but he has managed to keep his save percentage in the range of most high dollar starting goaltenders while playing on a less talented team. The same save percentage that hasn't wavered much in his career.

Next 4 games are against CHL teams or CHL Wannabes. I fear for 3Putt's wellbeing.

Thank you but I still have faith. When the calendar flips and the pressure ratchets, I believe we will come back to our norm. Let's not forget Mezzaros is still on this roster.

I agree that there is no way Enroth plays this well the rest of the year but my tank fear is our D has played so well that we're keeping a lot of shots from the outside. Lot's of teams feel the best way to beat Enroth is any and all shots because of his below avg rebound control which is true but our top 2 pairings are doing a great job of keeping the grade A scoring chances to a min. I think you could put most avg NHL goaltenders in there our D would make them look pretty good based on numbers alone.

Our 'scoring' particularly outside of our top line is what is keeping any shred of hope alive.

I'm still completely pro-tank I'm just not very optimistic that it's going to happen any more, at least not to where we end up guaranteed to at least draft Eichel. We may still be getting painfully outshot but the team is playing well, with more confidence, and most of the players helping us win aren't going anywhere (28, 63, 26, 51, 55) and the others who are playing well (57, 1, 34) aren't necessarily going anywhere although I believe Murray will move one of our goalies.

We're winning a lot of games, especially at home, and even though it's not likely to continue through the rest of the season at the current pace, it may very well still put us out of the sweet spot in the standings.

Edited by Drunkard

Time for a roll call.

What is everyone's current stance on the tank?

I was for the wholesale sell-off of the core.

Now that that is over, I'm for using those assets to build a Stanley Cup team.

I'd love McEichel, but it has to happen organically.

I believe deliberately trying to lose this season to get him is a bad move.

It sends the wrong message with too little chance for success.

I fully support the tradeoff of parts that aren't going to fit here long-term for parts that might be.

Finishing 23rd does not doom us to 10 more years of Darcy hockey.

Edited by dudacek

I'm still completely pro-tank I'm just not very optimistic that it's going to happen any more, at least not to where we end up guaranteed to at least draft Eichel. We may still be getting painfully outshot but the team is playing well, with more confidence, and most of the players helping us win aren't going anywhere (28, 63, 26, 51, 55) and the others who are playing well (57, 1, 34) aren't necessarily going anywhere although I believe Murray will move one of our goalies.

We're winning a lot of games, especially at home, and even though it's not likely to continue through the rest of the season at the current pace, it may very well still put us out of the sweet spot in the standings.

It was just a few short weeks ago that we looked like one of the worst teams in the history of the league, even worse than last season. Do not be fooled by short term ups and downs within a season--we weren't as bad as our record made us appear then, and we aren't as good as our record makes us appear now. But the fundamentals look as bad now as they did then, we're just getting some fortunate bounces and amazing goaltending. It will not last.

Time for a roll call.

What is everyone's current stance on the tank?

I was for the wholesale sell-off of the core.

Now that that is over, I'm for using those assets to build a Stanley Cup team.

I'd love McEichel, but it has to happen organically.

I believe deliberately trying to lose this season to get him is a bad move.

It sends the wrong message with too little chance for success.

I fully support the tradeoff of parts that aren't going to fit here long-term for parts that might be.

Finishing 23rd does not doom us to 10 more years of Darcy hockey.

My stance is the current tank is still going to happen, and it doesn't require deliberately mortgaging this season. I believe in the team's fundamentals, which are still dreadful.

I also believe tanking never was about only McEichel. Some may have become enamored with it because of them, but the logic of the tank persists regardless of whether there's a generational player(s) coming out or not. As many are quick to remind me, you don't need Crosby to win a Cup...and they're right, and I'll be perfectly happy with "only" a Toews-level player. Getting McEichel is a better outcome than getting Strome to be sure...but let's not pretend getting Strome is somehow bad.

His save percentage from the last 3 years and this year. When I said 4 years, I meant 4 years.

I qualified his "consistency" because he just played his 100th game. 4 years of spot duty is a small sample size to determine he is one of the most consistent goalies in the league.