GDT: Buffalo at Chicago, 8:30pm

WildCard

For a coach that really hasn't won crap in this league to openly state he doesn't believe in systems or analytics is kind of pompous.

He was the popular band-aid hire when this team hit rock bottom. GMTM knows he is not the guy. Problem was he had to keep him on due to his popularity. As that popularity fades GMTM will shitcan him and bring in the guy he wants.

Shaw lifted Myers off the ice with the shaft of his stick. Not sure that constitutes a spear. The officials should have caught that and penalized Shaw for unsportsmanlike conduct but the guy with the high voice would have followed him to the box for retaliating anyways. Myers should have dropped to the ice in writhing pain immediately after feeling the business on his bag. Draw attention to the situation. but he never. Payback comes in many forms.

Nolan has a roster of more proven NHL talent. Rolston had a roster of rookies. The results are the same. ergo Nolan = Rolston

I'm not a Nolan defender, but the roster really is not much better. Losing Ehrhoff on the blue line was huge. Gorges is nice for what he is, but he won't drive possession lime Ehrhoff did. We gained a healthy Stewart and Gionta up front, but the latter has been in decline for a couple years running. I liked the adds, but they're not moving the needle much in terms of overall competitiveness. Benoit was a possession drag last year and Meszaros is half the player he used to be. The roster's depth improved, but the top end is the same or arguably worse, and that's what really drives wins from night to night.

In other news I feel bad for Enroth. I'm not his biggest fan, but dude doesn't have a chance right now.

For a coach that really hasn't won crap in this league to openly state he doesn't believe in systems or analytics is kind of pompous.

He was the popular band-aid hire when this team hit rock bottom. GMTM knows he is not the guy. Problem was he had to keep him on due to his popularity. As that popularity fades GMTM will shitcan him and bring in the guy he wants.

Was a great plan. Murray knew this team is garbage, Nolan was only going to fail. Especially with the guys he hired to be his assistants.

Shaw lifted Myers off the ice with the shaft of his stick. Not sure that constitutes a spear. The officials should have caught that and penalized Shaw for unsportsmanlike conduct but the guy with the high voice would have followed him to the box for retaliating anyways. Myers should have dropped to the ice in writhing pain immediately after feeling the business on his bag. Draw attention to the situation. but he never. Payback comes in many forms.

I'll take right hand crosses for $1000 Alex.

Maybe keeping him was part of the tank.

Hopefully Connor McDavid and the other guy everyone is on the nuts of both turn out to have awful careers.

Teams shouldn't be rewarded for being disasters. Ever.

You cannot foster a winning culture by encouraging and celebrating a losing one.

Of course, I shouldn't expect anything else from Buffalo sports fans.

Fans don't foster anything. As long as the players play their ###### off and aren't satisfied then it'll be okay.

Usually you hope a goaltender gives you a chance to win. It is hard to expect more.

In Enroths case vs. Chicago he gave Buffalo a legit chance to earn a point. It was tied 45 minutes in. And the Sabres give up 19 third-period shots.

Holy crap.19.

And being outshot 19-4 doesn't even properly convey how lopsided that period of hockey was. Good Lord.

D'oh!

And I see robviously has nightly #fancystat numbers. Where from?

P.s. would be interesting to see the Nolan era Sabres #fancystats

I saw the Corsi numbers last night and double checked the -46 from Mike Harrington's Twitter feed. I'm still looking for a website that would have game stats like that as part of some sort of "super box score."

And being outshot 19-4 doesn't even properly convey how lopsided that period of hockey was. Good Lord.

I saw the Corsi numbers last night and double checked the -46 from Mike Harrington's Twitter feed. I'm still looking for a website that would have game stats like that as part of some sort of "super box score."

Vic Ferrari had a site with it all. The Caps just hired him. Looks like his site is down.

Just rewatched the game and IMHO, Meszaros is absolutely terrible. The dude is -5 after 2 games. Get him off my team. Benoit was playing "Alamo-mode" most of the evening - gave way too much time and space. Hodgson still doesn't play defense. Gionta bring leadership, but isn't very effective at much of anything. Reinhart obviously looks like a kid playing against men. Our powerplay is worthless without The Hoff on the point.

All that said, it was a pretty good 2 first two periods on the road against the best team in hockey.

Fans don't foster anything. As long as the players play their ###### off and aren't satisfied then it'll be okay.

Fans foster a lot. Way more than your NBA2K-mentality presumes. Nobody wants to play for fans that want them to lose instead of win. Hampers development of a young team.

They should be striving to be as good as possible so that everyone says, "damn, AND they have all those picks and cap room and flexibility and talent in the minors?" instead of "well, at least they have all those picks and cap room and flexibility and talent in the minors."

But whatever, keep rooting for your team to lose. Loser. Befitting of a losing culture. I'm sure all those young players will be on the first plane out of Buffalo when they can if they keep hearing that their fans are happy they're losing just so some jabroni draft pick comes in as the "man on the white horse" to "save us."

Edited by TheMatrix31

Fans foster a lot. Way more than your NBA2K-mentality presumes. Nobody wants to play for fans that want them to lose instead of win. Hampers development of a young team.

They should be striving to be as good as possible so that everyone says, "damn, AND they have all those picks and cap room and flexibility and talent in the minors?" instead of "well, at least they have all those picks and cap room and flexibility and talent in the minors."

But whatever, keep rooting for your team to lose. Loser. Befitting of a losing culture. I'm sure all those young players will be on the first plane out of Buffalo when they can if they keep hearing that their fans are happy they're losing just so some jabroni draft pick comes in as the "man on the white horse" to "save us."

Ignorance is bliss!?

Soooo... do the young players you mention at the end actually hear that? Because the fans in the arena still cheer when the Sabres score. And hopefully the players aren't reading message boards.

If the players don't like the draft talk, they should just start winning. No one will complain if the Sabres become a winning team again this year. I'll complain when they miss the playoffs AND miss out on a top pick, but no one will second guess the playoffs. In the meantime, I'm OK hoping we finish dead last again this year.

Soooo... do the young players you mention at the end actually hear that? Because the fans in the arena still cheer when the Sabres score. And hopefully the players aren't reading message boards.

If the players don't like the draft talk, they should just start winning. No one will complain if the Sabres become a winning team again this year. I'll complain when they miss the playoffs AND miss out on a top pick, but no one will second guess the playoffs. In the meantime, I'm OK hoping we finish dead last again this year.

You think the players don't hear or see anything outside of cheers when goals are scored at home? Really? This is 2014. They know what's up. They know what such a ridiculous amount of Sabres fans are clamoring for. They know how sports fans are nowadays. Morons who think that if you're not a title contender you should just lose, as if there isn't something to be said for a team that was horrendous last year to improve so much that they push hard for a playoff spot this year, feeding off each other, developing, and fostering a winning culture where even if they're not gonna win a Cup, they'll at least smell and fight for the playoffs.

There are multiple people who are straight up encouraging losing and are upset when we lose. You yourself are admitting being OK with finishing dead last again this year. That's ###### pathetic.

I'd rather be an 8th seed than have the #1 pick. What good is a number 1 pick when you're horrendous? If you're bad enough to get a #1 pick, that #1 pick is not going to be enough to pull you out of it. Sorry. Arguably our best and most exciting player right now is Zemgus Girgensons, who was a #14 pick. If you have good management and scouting (which is what successful teams *actually* need, not be bad enough to get a #1 pick) then you can make a great pick anywhere. Push and fight as much as possible, put a good showing, show the players that you're NOT happy losing, they'll work harder, and you build from there. I just can't believe we've gone from "there's nowhere to go but up" to "oh well, it's cool." Not improving on last year's atrocity would be unacceptable.

Whatever, this is just a matter of philosophies. No need to rehash these stupid arguments. Losers will be happy losing because they think a savior will save them and they'll suddenly not suck anymore. As Bills and Sabres fans, I'm not surprised that you people encourage losing on purpose. It's all Buffalo has known for years now. Would be great to break that culture. But hey, keep going with that. It's sure worked out for all the other professional sports franchises who are perpetual losers with perpetual high draft picks who, for some reason, just can't get good again. Gee, I wonder why.

Edited by TheMatrix31

You think the players don't hear or see anything outside of cheers when goals are scored at home? Really? This is 2014. They know what's up. They know what such a ridiculous amount of Sabres fans are clamoring for. They know how sports fans are nowadays. Morons who think that if you're not a title contender you should just lose, as if there isn't something to be said for a team that was horrendous last year to improve so much that they push hard for a playoff spot this year, feeding off each other, developing, and fostering a winning culture where even if they're not gonna win a Cup, they'll at least smell and fight for the playoffs.

There are multiple people who are straight up encouraging losing and are upset when we lose. You yourself are admitting being OK with finishing dead last again this year. That's ###### pathetic.

I'd rather be an 8th seed than have the #1 pick. What good is a number 1 pick when you're horrendous? If you're bad enough to get a #1 pick, that #1 pick is not going to be enough to pull you out of it. Sorry. Arguably our best and most exciting player right now is Zemgus Girgensons, who was a #14 pick. If you have good management and scouting (which is what successful teams *actually* need, not be bad enough to get a #1 pick) then you can make a great pick anywhere. Push and fight as much as possible, put a good showing, show the players that you're NOT happy losing, they'll work harder, and you build from there. I just can't believe we've gone from "there's nowhere to go but up" to "oh well, it's cool." Not improving on last year's atrocity would be unacceptable.

Whatever, this is just a matter of philosophies. No need to rehash these stupid arguments. Losers will be happy losing because they think a savior will save them and they'll suddenly not suck anymore. As Bills and Sabres fans, I'm not surprised that you people encourage losing on purpose. It's all Buffalo has known for years now. Would be great to break that culture. But hey, keep going with that. It's sure worked out for all the other professional sports franchises who are perpetual losers with perpetual high draft picks who, for some reason, just can't get good again. Gee, I wonder why.

Wow, way to lace your last paragraph with what I'm sure you thought were clever insults. I had no idea I was a "loser." How disconcerting. :(

No, this isn't about a savior arriving so that we suddenly don't suck anymore. This is a simple inter-temporal trade. I'll take less now for a lot more later. The Sabres are going to be a bottom-10 team this year. That's just being realistic. They don't get anything out of them being 20th best though. If we're going to suck, let's go all the way. The Sabres' history with top-5 picks is very good. The history of top 5 picks in general is spectacular.

You bring up our "best and most exciting player right now": Zemgus Girgensons. He was 14th overall but I guess you forgot that we only have him because we sucked the season before that draft and traded Paul Gaustad for a 1st round pick. [On draft day we traded up 7 spots from that Gaustad pick to get your new favorite player.] So your one example of the team "pushing and fighting as much as possible" is actually a guy we have because we were bad and had a mini-firesale at the deadline. That's the benefit of having a realistic view of how good the team is and how to rebuild.

Lastly, regarding the "professional sports franchises who are perpetual losers with perpetual high draft picks who, for some reason, just can't get good again", well, at one point that could describe the team the Sabres played in this GDT and that team shredded Buffalo about as thoroughly as anyone ever. Probably not a good idea to type that sentence in a thread that is literally about the Chicago Blackhawks.

It's easy to see why others snickered at the hire. He's a boob.

He's the perfect guy though. You need that guy to that the fall. Even the Penguins fired coaches (and GM) during Sidney Crosby's rookie season. There is only so far Nolan can take us. When the team starts to turn the corner, i have no doubts Murray will go out and hire his own guy to take us the remainder of the way.

He's the perfect guy though. You need that guy to that the fall. Even the Penguins fired coaches (and GM) during Sidney Crosby's rookie season. There is only so far Nolan can take us. When the team starts to turn the corner, i have no doubts Murray will go out and hire his own guy to take us the remainder of the way.

Definitely

Wow, way to lace your last paragraph with what I'm sure you thought were clever insults. I had no idea I was a "loser." How disconcerting. :(

No, this isn't about a savior arriving so that we suddenly don't suck anymore. This is a simple inter-temporal trade. I'll take less now for a lot more later. The Sabres are going to be a bottom-10 team this year. That's just being realistic. They don't get anything out of them being 20th best though. If we're going to suck, let's go all the way. The Sabres' history with top-5 picks is very good. The history of top 5 picks in general is spectacular.

You bring up our "best and most exciting player right now": Zemgus Girgensons. He was 14th overall but I guess you forgot that we only have him because we sucked the season before that draft and traded Paul Gaustad for a 1st round pick. [On draft day we traded up 7 spots from that Gaustad pick to get your new favorite player.] So your one example of the team "pushing and fighting as much as possible" is actually a guy we have because we were bad and had a mini-firesale at the deadline. That's the benefit of having a realistic view of how good the team is and how to rebuild.

Lastly, regarding the "professional sports franchises who are perpetual losers with perpetual high draft picks who, for some reason, just can't get good again", well, at one point that could describe the team the Sabres played in this GDT and that team shredded Buffalo about as thoroughly as anyone ever. Probably not a good idea to type that sentence in a thread that is literally about the Chicago Blackhawks.

Welp, I guess we'll just have to hope that we end up as lucky as Chicago finally was after a decade of worthlessness in a quarter of the time, I guess.

Edited by TheMatrix31

No one really knows that Girgensons is going to turn out to be. His stats from last year: 70 8 14 22 -6 14 0 1 1 115 7.0

70 games, 8 goals, 14 assists. Even if you accept the "bad team" factor and *double* those numbers, that's 16-18 goals if he plays all year (by that logic, Hodgson will have 90 points on that good team, so take it with a grain of salt). I like Z/Gus, but he's not the savior of the team's scoring woes. If you filled the top 9 with guys like him, the team would score (using that questionable 16-18 goals number) 162 goals from those guys, and maybe 40 more from the D and 4th liners (2ea from the F, 6 each (!) for the D), you end up 28th goals for the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.