My Idea for a New Sabres Tradition

Eleven

Anyone who decries the Goos may be from Buffalo, or may follow a Buffalo sports team, but they ain't of Buffalo.

Also, I suspect they never saw the Goos play The Continental, or similar such venues in the late 80s or early 90s. That's a great little band, with a talented core of 2. And Johnny can write a pop song as good as any 6-string-playing singer out there. I realize that last bit is damning with faint praise. Even so.

If I worked for the Sabres and was charged with finding a "fan participation" song(for lack of a better term)...

- I would put together a focus group of 25 or so people.

- Focus group criteria... STH, age 20-40, when at games you are willing to sing as loud as possible even if you are the only one in the entire arena singing

- Song would have to be something that even Chet & Muffy would hop on the bandwagon about, because in the end, the more people singing, the better it will be

- Find creative music talents to take 2 or 3 songs, polish them up, and then go back to focus group, in order to assist with making final choice

Edited by LabattBlue

If I worked for the Sabres and was charged with finding a "fan participation" song(for lack of a better term)...

- I would put together a focus group of 25 or so people.

- Focus group criteria... STH, age 20-40, when at games you are willing to sing as loud as possible even if you are the only one in the entire arena singing

- Song would have to be something that even Chet & Muffy would hop on the bandwagon about, because in the end, the more people singing, the better it will be

- Find creative music talents to take 2 or 3 songs, polish them up, and then go back to focus group, in order to assist with making final choice

You would end up with Sweet Caroline or Margaritaville.

To clarify my previous comment for the clueless who are no doubt still pondering the multiple layers of meaning that they have injected into it, I think the Erie Canal idea is the Sabres Yellow third jerseys of song promotion ideas. I give you points for trying but it's a dreary song and should never be repeated.

Edited by 716

To clarify my previous comment for the clueless who are no doubt still pondering the multiple layers of meaning that they have injected into it, I think the Erie Canal idea is the Sabres Yellow third jerseys of song promotion ideas. I give you points for trying but it's a dreary song and should never be repeated.

Yeah, well, you're the yellow third jersey of song promotion ideas.

:blink: Then please explain how you go about getting the "perfect" song?

Don't ask 20-40 year-old's what songs they like to sing as loud as possible.

Just pick a song and put the words up. In the beginning, pipe in the sound of a crowd singing the song. Keep doing it, eventually groupthink will take over and you won't need the piped in crowd chorus any more.

The Sabres need their own "shout song". Something simple to get the crowd bonded after the goal. I think next year is the year to introduce it...I still can't believe Ooh Ahh Sabres on the Warpath has not ended this debate already. There is NOTHING better in my book.

Edited by CallawaySabres

Nope. No way. I won't hear it.

Better Days was the worst thing they ever did to the Sabres and the City of Buffalo. I won't allow a history to repeat itself.

Better days is... well a pandering crapfest but Iris and Long Way Down, come on there are some good Goo songs.

Maybe we should re-write don't stop believing or Blue Collar Man.

I'll take those long nights, impossible odds

Keeping my eye to the TeVo

If it takes all that to be just what I am

I'm gonna be a buffalo fan

ps, I wrote that quickly don't be to harsh

Better days is... well a pandering crapfest but Iris and Long Way Down, come on there are some good Goo songs.

No. There are no good Goo songs. The only reason anyone in Buffalo likes them is because they're from Buffalo. It's a free pass to them to produce easy listening station fodder under the guise of actually being rockers.

They're the Drew Stafford of rock n roll.

Doooooooon't caaaaaaaare.

Maybe we should re-write don't stop believing or Blue Collar Man.

I'll take those long nights, impossible odds

Keeping my eye to the TeVo

If it takes all that to be just what I am

I'm gonna be a buffalo fan

ps, I wrote that quickly don't be to harsh

No re-writes. Just a damned good song that will get the crowd going.

Don't ask 20-40 year-old's what songs they like to sing as loud as possible.

Just pick a song and put the words up. In the beginning, pipe in the sound of a crowd singing the song. Keep doing it, eventually groupthink will take over and you won't need the piped in crowd chorus any more.

I go to 10-20 games a year and the in-game presentation SUCKS. It's cookie cutter crap that you see at most arenas. BLARING music during every interruption in play, kiss cam, BLARING music, funniest videos, BLARING music, tshirt tosses, BLARING music, etc... Do you remember the Nicholas Picholas fiasco? They trotted this poor fool out as the in-game presentation "host" game after game, and he would relentlessly get booed LOUDER each game.

I have no faith that the people in charge of in-game presentation can choose the right song on their own. They will have 100's of meetings on the topic, and then still end up with a bad choice.

I go to 10-20 games a year and the in-game presentation SUCKS. It's cookie cutter crap that you see at most arenas. BLARING music during every interruption in play, kiss cam, BLARING music, funniest videos, BLARING music, tshirt tosses, BLARING music, etc... Do you remember the Nicholas Picholas fiasco? They trotted this poor fool out as the in-game presentation "host" game after game, and he would relentlessly get booed LOUDER each game.

I have no faith that the people in charge of in-game presentation can choose the right song on their own. They will have 100's of meetings on the topic, and then still end up with a bad choice.

100's of meetings and a bad choice. What do they have, some kind of flat management structure?

What the Sabres need is a producer. And not just on the power play.

No. There are no good Goo songs. The only reason anyone in Buffalo likes them is because they're from Buffalo. It's a free pass to them to produce easy listening station fodder under the guise of actually being rockers.

They're the Drew Stafford of rock n roll.

Doooooooon't caaaaaaaare.

the drew Stafford of rock and roll eh..... Funny and a little true. I've been a GGD fan for as long as I've remembered, seeing them at Broadway Joe's back when.... They used to be better, the new crap they've released is just terrible, freaking brutal.... But in the 90's they really were decent

Agree 100% on the lack of faith thing. The only way this gets done right is if it gets done without the team touching it first.

100's of meetings and a bad choice. What do they have, some kind of flat management structure?

What the Sabres need is a producer. And not just on the power play.

This is absolutely dead on. Leave the entertainment presentation to an entertainment presentation professional.

Dear Teddy,

Please go to Hollywood or NY and hire a real live producer for the in-game presentation.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.