Good hockey talk here boys.

While I agree with dudacek's lock top line & D pairing, I think the rest of it is still pretty fluid. I'm reluctant to project anything with much confidence as I I've only seen parts of 2 preseason games plus some highlights. However, I think the 2nd & 3rd lines are still to be determined, and I think that Nolan and Murray both naturally lean towards sending the youngsters down -- both Reinhart and Griggy.

OTOH, I also think/guess the talk here has been too optimistic on Griggy and too pessimistic on Reinhart. I would not be at all surprised if Griggy were in Rochester and Reinhart in Buffalo to start the season -- in fact, I kind of expect this to be the case because I think they want to look at Reinhart for his 9 games. But I also think TM and TN won't hesitate to send Reinhart back to juniors after the 9 games unless he looks really effective.

Ultimately, I think Reinhart will go back down after his 9 games and Griggy will stay in Rochester until one of the top 9 is hurt.

On D, I don't think both Risto and McCabe will open the season in the starting lineup, and I think Pysyk isn't supposed to be back for the opener -- which means, most likely, Risto in Buffalo, McCabe in Rochester, Weber as the #6 defenseman and Strachan as #7. Then, when Pysyk returns, I think he goes in if Weber or Meszaros has been shaky; otherwise, Pysyk goes to Rochester to play his way into shape. Pysyk and McCabe then fight it out in Rochester for first shot at replacing any of the top 6 who gets hurt or, in the case of the bottom 2, gets the yips.

So, opening night:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Zemgus-Stewart

Foligno-Reinhart-Gionta

Flynn-McC-Deslauriers

extra: Mitchell

Myers-Gorges

Risto-Benoit

Weber-Meszaros

extra: Strachan

But maybe game 40:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Griggy-Stewart

Foligno-Zemgus-Gionta

Kaleta-McC-Deslauriers

Myers-Gorges

Risto-Benoit

Pysyk-Meszaros

Good hockey talk here boys.

While I agree with dudacek's lock top line & D pairing, I think the rest of it is still pretty fluid. I'm reluctant to project anything with much confidence as I I've only seen parts of 2 preseason games plus some highlights. However, I think the 2nd & 3rd lines are still to be determined, and I think that Nolan and Murray both naturally lean towards sending the youngsters down -- both Reinhart and Griggy.

OTOH, I also think/guess the talk here has been too optimistic on Griggy and too pessimistic on Reinhart. I would not be at all surprised if Griggy were in Rochester and Reinhart in Buffalo to start the season -- in fact, I kind of expect this to be the case because I think they want to look at Reinhart for his 9 games. But I also think TM and TN won't hesitate to send Reinhart back to juniors after the 9 games unless he looks really effective.

Ultimately, I think Reinhart will go back down after his 9 games and Griggy will stay in Rochester until one of the top 9 is hurt.

On D, I don't think both Risto and McCabe will open the season in the starting lineup, and I think Pysyk isn't supposed to be back for the opener -- which means, most likely, Risto in Buffalo, McCabe in Rochester, Weber as the #6 defenseman and Strachan as #7. Then, when Pysyk returns, I think he goes in if Weber or Meszaros has been shaky; otherwise, Pysyk goes to Rochester to play his way into shape. Pysyk and McCabe then fight it out in Rochester for first shot at replacing any of the top 6 who gets hurt or, in the case of the bottom 2, gets the yips.

So, opening night:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Zemgus-Stewart

Foligno-Reinhart-Gionta

Flynn-McC-Deslauriers

extra: Mitchell

Myers-Gorges

Risto-Benoit

Weber-Meszaros

extra: Strachan

But maybe game 40:

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford

Hodgson-Griggy-Stewart

Foligno-Zemgus-Gionta

Kaleta-McC-Deslauriers

Myers-Gorges

Risto-Benoit

Pysyk-Meszaros

You're one of the few (if not the only) that consistently put Zemgus above the third line. From what I've heard (didn't watch much preseason), he didn't really do anything this preseason. I don't think he has any reason to be or shot at being a top six center. Especially not right now. Guys like Reinhart or Grigorenko should be getting top six minutes.

You're one of the few (if not the only) that consistently put Zemgus above the third line. From what I've heard (didn't watch much preseason), he didn't really do anything this preseason. I don't think he has any reason to be or shot at being a top six center. Especially not right now. Guys like Reinhart or Grigorenko should be getting top six minutes.

I'd bet Girgensons will be averaging more minutes per night than Reinhart or Grigorenko. The way he skates, I don't know why you think he can't develop into at top 2 center.

That second line looks like a smart opposing coach's wet dream. I don't know how much matching and specialization Nolan plans on doing, but that second line needs heavily protected minutes.

How much of the preseason did you see ? Grigorenko and Stewart are far from players that need " protected" minutes.

Zemgus might skate well, he has no were near the talent and on ice vision Grigorenko or Reinhart has. If he makes it onto top 6 minutes its on the wing.

How much of the preseason did you see ? Grigorenko and Stewart are far from players that need " protected" minutes.

Stewart has an entire career of being lackluster defensively, excuse me for not ignoring that because he wasn't terrible at it during the preseason. Grigorenko is a rookie center, so I don't think it's ludicrous to think having him on the ice against even a Kreicji-like center would end poorly for us.

Zemgus was top six to finish last year and — crappy camp notwithstanding — has been the most impressive of the kids so far.

I don't think it's a stretch to think he will get top six minutes, especially on a team expected to be among the dregs of the league.

Zemgus was top six to finish last year and — crappy camp notwithstanding — has been the most impressive of the kids so far.

I don't think it's a stretch to think he will get top six minutes, especially on a team expected to be among the dregs of the league.

I also think Zemgus averages more ice time than Grigo *assuming Grigo makes the team*.

However, to the bolded, Gus was top 6 to finish a season when the bottom 6, and sometimes part of the top 6, were nothing more than AHL'ers. This season is different. This is a team of NHL talent this year.

BTW, I don't think Gus' "more minutes" with come 5 on 5. He'll get PK time that Grigo won't. And I'm not sure that Grigo gets much powerplay time this season.

Edited by weave

Protection has nothing to do with offensive ability or vision. It's about playing poor defensive players in the offensive zone to minimize the risk of getting goals scored against you. A line of 80-25-19 screams D zone iissues.they might be the Sabres 3 worst defensive forwards, ON THE SAME FREAKING LINE. But Nolan doesn't care much for stats and all that so hopefully he starts then plenty in the D zone. Tank on!

Protection has nothing to do with offensive ability or vision. It's about playing poor defensive players in the offensive zone to minimize the risk of getting goals scored against you. A line of 80-25-19 screams D zone iissues.they might be the Sabres 3 worst defensive forwards, ON THE SAME FREAKING LINE. But Nolan doesn't care much for stats and all that so hopefully he starts then plenty in the D zone. Tank on!

I think you're being a little quick on the trigger here. We still don't know the entire roster, or how TN will roll the lines in actual NHL games yet. Maybe he does give the 80-25-19 sheltered minutes, or maybe that line never plays together. Give Nolan a little bit of a shot.

I think you're being a little quick on the trigger here. We still don't know the entire roster, or how TN will roll the lines in actual NHL games yet. Maybe he does give the 80-25-19 sheltered minutes, or maybe that line never plays together. Give Nolan a little bit of a shot.

I really want to give TN the benefit of the doubt. I thinks he's a cerebral guy, just more like Marv Levy give each player a different book to read type coach vs a know how to use each player to maximize effectiveness type coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.