So you you've read the reports, watched and listened to the games.

Who is here opening night?

I see Ennis/Moulson/Stafford/Myers/Gorges as a lock on the first line.

Hodgson and Stewart are bookends on the second.

Gionta and Foligno should flank Girgensons (despite a very nondescript camp) on the third.

And McCormick wasn't signed to play in the minors. He'll anchor the fourth.

Meszaros and Benoit are locks on the blue line and Risto should join them. He's ready.

Neuvirth backs up Enroth

Rounding out the blue line, Weber held off Strachan and McCabe has earned a shot, at least until Pysyk gets healthy. Zadorov didn't show enough.

They won't risk Deslauriers on waivers, but I think he's earned a spot on the fourth line anyway.

Flynn and Mitchell outlasted Dalpe for the other depth spots, at least until Kaleta comes back.

And Mikhail Grigorenko edges Sam Reinhart for the number two centre spot.

They will probably keep Sam around for his nine games just to see what plays out because there is a spot available.

But right now there is no room for him in the top nine.

Edited by dudacek

I'm assuming that Grigo goes down while Reinhart gets his 9 games, and when the 9 are up Grigo will be back. But if it is going to who "deserves it" IMO Reinhart goes down right away and Grigo stays with the Sabres. From what little I've seen Grigo beat Reinhart for the job, plain and simple.

I wish I saw more of the games. I'd like to know how Strachan looked compared to Weber. I expect the 7th slot is between them. Risto makes the team. When Pysyk returns I'm not sure what happens. I'd guess whichever among Weber/Strachan stayed up will get waived to make room.

Zads goes back to juniors. As good as he looked last year, I think it was a product of how little D talent we had. Z did not win a job this preseason.

So I guess we end up with something like this?

Moulson Ennis Stafford

Hogdson Grigo Stewart

Mitchell Girgensens Gionta

Foligno McC Kaleta/Flynn

Dalpe Deslaurier

I don't know what the D pairs will look like but overall I think the 7 that stay will be:

Gorges, Myers, Mezaros, Benoit, Risto, one of Weber/Strachan, and I agree that McCabe gets in until Pysyk is healthy.

When Kaleta returns I assume that Dalpe goes down.

Edited by weave

You know, if Reinhart looks decent in his 9 games we could end up with a center ice that has Ennis, Grigo, Reinhart, Girgensens.

Jeez. We haven't had that kind of center ice depth in too long.

What if?

Moulson Ennis Staff

Hodgson Grigs Stewart

Mitchell Reinhart Gionta

McC Girgs Kaleta

You know, if Reinhart looks decent in his 9 games we could end up with a center ice that has Ennis, Grigo, Reinhart, Girgensens.

Jeez. We haven't had that kind of center ice depth in too long.

What if?

Moulson Ennis Staff

Hodgson Grigs Stewart

Mitchell Reinhart Gionta

McC Girgs Kaleta

That second line looks like a smart opposing coach's wet dream. I don't know how much matching and specialization Nolan plans on doing, but that second line needs heavily protected minutes.

Really soured on Foligno, weave, or just forgot him?

I think the organization is really counting on him to bounce back and expects him to be more than a fourth-liner.

That second line looks like a smart opposing coach's wet dream. I don't know how much matching and specialization Nolan plans on doing, but that second line needs heavily protected minutes.

At home though, they could do a lot of damage, especially against shallow teams.

Edited by dudacek

Really soured on Foligno, weave, or just forgot him?

I think the organization is really counting on him to bounce back and expects him to be more than a fourth-liner.

Forgot him.. But that is in good part because he has been rather invisible.

A 4th line of Foligno Girgs and McC/Kaleta might be the best 4th line in the league. I can't think of a better one.

ZOMG a 4th line of NHL'ers!

That is the line Nolan was showcasing this preseason, no? I think that is what he goes with.

Edited by weave

Let's see, you defend Hodgson frequently, and no one will diss Stewart, so your concern must be Grigorenko. Yes?

Let's see, you defend Hodgson frequently, and no one will diss Stewart, so your concern must be Grigorenko. Yes?

I get where he is coming from. PhD has stated in the past that Hodgson is poor defensively. Noone should expect Grigo to be great defensively as a rook. I'm not sure Stewart is known for his defensive abilities.

I get where he is coming from. PhD has stated in the past that Hodgson is poor defensively. Noone should expect Grigo to be great defensively as a rook. I'm not sure Stewart is known for his defensive abilities.

Exactly this. There's not a single player on that line who is defensively responsible, let alone better than that. Could be a huge liability on the road and maybe even at home, depending on how Nolan handles it.

I agree. Hodgson is a mess in the D zone and Grigorenko hasn't show to be a defensive stalwart, either. Until they learn that part of the game, those two need to be separated or they'll both be minus 40.

I didn't find Grigorenko or Stewart defensively shocking during the preseason games, myself. Indeed, I thought Grigorenko's back checking was pleasantly surprising.

I saw it the same way you did but I don't expect Grigo to be decent in his zone when the pressure is on during the regular season. I would be pleasantly surprised indeed if he looked defensively "acceptable" when he plays exclusively against NHL'ers.

I agree. Hodgson is a mess in the D zone and Grigorenko hasn't show to be a defensive stalwart, either. Until they learn that part of the game, those two need to be separated or they'll both be minus 40.

But that was at center, Hodgson might be way better High along the wall in the de-zone. Not as much skating for him there.

But that was at center, Hodgson might be way better High along the wall in the de-zone. Not as much skating for him there.

Yes, I overlooked that he was at wing. I recall that helped him last year. At center, he was defensively brutal. Too much responsibility. and that's why I hated that position myself!

I find this slightly amusing. Grigo should go back to Roch for a little more seasoning with his improved physical self.

Nolan will lose some credibility if Grigo goes back to Roch right away because he has earned a spot here.

I think I just send the little guy back to juniors right off the bat and Nikita also without question.

I think Jake stays.

I find this slightly amusing. Grigo should go back to Roch for a little more seasoning with his improved physical self.

Nolan will lose some credibility if Grigo goes back to Roch right away because he has earned a spot here.

I think I just send the little guy back to juniors right off the bat and Nikita also without question.

I think Jake stays.

Who are your 4 centers then?

I guess I don't understand this comment. That 2nd line could pretty good. I think that's a pretty legitimate 2nd line in any building.

I don't seen how Grigorenko can be sent down after all the talk of "earning your position" That's been repeated 100 times by Murray and Nolan. They can't possibly look the guy in the eye and tell he's the on that has to go down between Dalpe, Reinhart, Mtichell, Flynn and him. It would defy all credibility. They guy did the work, acknowledged his previous immaturity and has done everything anyone could request to make the team

I guess I don't understand this comment. That 2nd line could pretty good. I think that's a pretty legitimate 2nd line in any building.

I don't seen how Grigorenko can be sent down after all the talk of "earning your position" That's been repeated 100 times by Murray and Nolan. They can't possibly look the guy in the eye and tell he's the on that has to go down between Dalpe, Reinhart, Mtichell, Flynn and him. It would defy all credibility. They guy did the work, acknowledged his previous immaturity and has done everything anyone could request to make the team

I agree from what I seen and heard from the coaching staff is that Grigs really has earned a spot. As much as I like Reinhart he didn't do anything to earn a spot and needs more time. I like where Grigs is heading I just wish he could have 1 full year in Rochester before earning a spot. I wonder with some teams with cap trouble if Murray makes a trade for another young player who already has some minor and nhl experience but just not good enough to grab a top 6 spot on another team.

Who are your 4 centers then?

Ennis

Gus

Grigo

Cody Mac

Although I wont be surprised if Nolan put Ennis on the wing and Hodgson in his place.

Kareem, Russell, Shaq and the dream

What? No love Clyde the drive??

They might be a legit scoring line, debatable in my book but what's not up for debate is the lack of D on that line. That's almost certainly going to cost you a goal or three a game. When Grigorenko, is your D forward on a line, bad things man, bad things.

They might be a legit scoring line, debatable in my book but what's not up for debate is the lack of D on that line. That's almost certainly going to cost you a goal or three a game. When Grigorenko, is your D forward on a line, bad things man, bad things.

And that's all I was saying. Just picture what would happen if there's a Dzone faceoff and Nolan puts them out there for whatever reason. The opposition wouldn't be able to put their top scoring line out fast enough.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.