-Strachan

-Samuels-Thomas

-Gauthier-Leduc

-Sundher

-Lieuwen

-Varone

-Ellis

-Bagnall

Some will stay, many will go either through free agency or trade. There's no need to worry about the number of contracts. If by some chance he's in the way and we can't find a home for him, he could always be bought out if absolutely necessary. That would cost the team about 50 cents. At the end of the day, he's either a 7th defenseman in the NHL or an older guy who can provided a bit of guidance to some of the AHL rookies fresh out of college or juniors.

I don't have time to look but some new guys don't need contracts as they are still in college too.

I don't have time to look but some new guys don't need contracts as they are still in college too.

If I had to guess when it comes to our big college guys, the Comphers and Faschings of the world, I would bet that at most one would leave school after this year.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while a guy like Zadorov has a contract, it doesn't count against the limit if he gets sent back to the OHL (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). That will be important to keep in mind next year if we do use all 3 of our first round picks. McDavid/Eichel would obviously be in the NHL, but those other two picks probably wouldn't be (unless the Isles really suck this year).

After last season my bad feelings towards stafford have faded somewhat though :)

Yeah, prior to last season he was the poster child for everything that was wrong with Darcy's Sabres.

But with all the changes and a steady diet of Omarks, Konopkas and McBains he's just kinda faded in terms of being a focus for the fans at all.

I really don't like this player

I'm in the same boat.

If I had to guess when it comes to our big college guys, the Comphers and Faschings of the world, I would bet that at most one would leave school after this year.

Another thing to keep in mind is that while a guy like Zadorov has a contract, it doesn't count against the limit if he gets sent back to the OHL (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). That will be important to keep in mind next year if we do use all 3 of our first round picks. McDavid/Eichel would obviously be in the NHL, but those other two picks probably wouldn't be (unless the Isles really suck this year).

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't think we land either of those guys unless Murray unloads some players on the roster during the season. I just have this strange feeling that Darcy started this tank for high picks and a solid chance at McDavid and now that he is with the Coyotes I just have this feeling that because this team has hardly any offense that they somehow land McDavid. That would be huge for a struggling fan base. And it's just out luck!

Ouch.

He's small and he's not physical, but he's a decent skater and has pretty good hockey IQ. If nothing else he could develop into a Chris-Butler-type trade asset.

I might be in the minority, but I kinda like his game. This team in the long run is not going to be able to afford to have a full set of $4 million to $6million dollar per year studs on the blue line. Ruhwedel to me is/can be a pretty decent puck-moving D man that would be a very good #5 or #6 guy that won't hurt you much if you have to move him into a #3 or #4 role.

Cheap and competent depth.

He's not a world beater - but he plays a pretty safe game and skates well with his head up. Decent enough up-ice passer.

No problem with him being the 8th or 9th guy.

As long as he is slated to be a #8 guy I am comfortable. #7 is pushing it as far as I am concerned.

If we are in a contract crunch, can't we give a team our worst player and a 6th round pick or something to make room? I don't understand the worry about 50 contracts impacting any real player development.

Or we could trade 4 for 2 and take on salary? Pegula has been nothing but willing in terms of taking on money to give us a significant advantage. I think that will always be our ace in the hole - Pegula is willing to burn real money to gain future assets.

I might be in the minority, but I kinda like his game. This team in the long run is not going to be able to afford to have a full set of $4 million to $6million dollar per year studs on the blue line. Ruhwedel to me is/can be a pretty decent puck-moving D man that would be a very good #5 or #6 guy that won't hurt you much if you have to move him into a #3 or #4 role.

I agree. He has a tenacious attitude and a good hockey IQ. He doesn't have that ultra-hyped expectation which could be a good thing. He doesn't net tons of goals but does a good job in his own zone. Nothing wrong with a defenseman who does his job behind the blue line and can move the puck north. Not everyone is a super star. We need guys that work well and don't demand top dollar if we ever want a run at the cup. IMO. Which of course means nothing.

I'm in the same boat.

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't think we land either of those guys unless Murray unloads some players on the roster during the season. I just have this strange feeling that Darcy started this tank for high picks and a solid chance at McDavid and now that he is with the Coyotes I just have this feeling that because this team has hardly any offense that they somehow land McDavid. That would be huge for a struggling fan base. And it's just out luck!

He's an assistant GM! It's not like he is going to be calling any shots for that team. Hell, his addition came after most of their work for this season was done. Stop floating this idea that Darcy will destroy them, especially in one year.

He's an assistant GM! It's not like he is going to be calling any shots for that team. Hell, his addition came after most of their work for this season was done. Stop floating this idea that Darcy will destroy them, especially in one year.

And the Arizona Kaiyoots can't afford to tank, their existence is tenuous enough already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.