Development camp - Blue & Gold scrimmage

BuffaloBorn

I know some people here seem to say that most of these young players will be misses as far as making it in the NHL. But do any of u think as much money, scouts, and everything else Pegula put into the scouting department that there are going to be a lot more players making it. I truly believe so plus u have a guy like Murray who was an ex-scout. I think our prospect pool is really good and that some players might not stand out more because a lot of them are close in talent. I'm liking what I hear about Grigs. I think a full season in the AHL with his current workout program and skating help will really benefit his game. Worst case scenario is he is moved for something else. But I see a lot of these kids making it either on Buffalo or on another team. It sounds like this Wellman kid from high school is really opening eyes he just needs to keep working.I'm wondering if any of the kids that were invited to camp will get signed.

Went to the 3 on 3 today.

- Sat in the same section as Sabres FO staff/coaches. Pegula and Murray were sitting together.

- Teams were alternating ends, so I sat at one end instead of at center ice.

- Once again, I was impressed by Willman's skill. I'd like to know what his downside is as a 5th round pick?

- Compher really impressive. Not only hustling, but had at least two nice goals while down at my end. I'm disappointed that he won't be at training camp along with Fasching, and the other college players.

- Zadorov once again looks like he is skating in cement. I know this is partially because of his size, but I am really interested in seeing him when live bullets start flying in September. That being said, this 3 on 3 is tailor made for speedy skill guys.

- If Reinhart's main goal this season is to put on weight and get stronger, I'd rather have him here than in the WHL. Also, allow him to play in the WJC. Even if it means playing limited minutes, give him some PP time, play him with two-way wingers, and let him work on the little things in his first season.

- Some really nice glove saves by Ullmark and Liewen.

- I'm hoping Girgenson's offensive game makes a jump this year. Clearly he has all the other tools needed to be a top 6 forward. Size, speed, hustle, solld defensive player...

- Either McCabe plays with big shoulder pads, or he is bigger than I thought.

- Risto has game. Nothing more to say.

Edited by LabattBlue

Went to the 3 on 3 today.

- Sat in the same section as Sabres FO staff/coaches. Pegula and Murray were sitting together.

- Teams were alternating ends, so I sat at one end instead of at center ice.

- Once again, I was impressed by Willman's skill. I'd like to know what his downside is as a 5th round pick?

- Compher really impressive. Not only hustling, but had at least two nice goals while down at my end. I'm disappointed that he won't be at training camp along with Fasching, and the other college players.

- Zadorov once again looks like he is skating in cement. I know this is partially because of his size, but I am really interested in seeing him when live bullets start flying in September. That being said, this 3 on 3 is tailor made for speedy skill guys.

- If Reinhart's main goal this season is to put on weight and get stronger, I'd rather have him here than in the WHL. Also, allow him to play in the WJC. Even if it means playing limited minutes, give him some PP time, play him with two-way wingers, and let him work on the little things in his first season.

- Some really nice glove saves by Ullmark and Liewen.

- I'm hoping Girgenson's offensive game makes a jump this year. Clearly he has all the other tools needed to be a top 6 forward. Size, speed, hustle, solld defensive player...

- Either McCabe plays with big shoulder pads, or he is bigger than I thought.

- Risto has game. Nothing more to say.

Now do u believe what I posted right before u that a lot of these kids might be NHLers because a lot of them might be close to the same skill wise. People can talk about Compher but I think he will be up with the big club before he graduates Michigan. This team has a ton of solid prospects. The one no-one is talking about is Armia. Does he need more development time to get bigger, stronger and faster. Anyone know how he look.

I would also like to know where last years second rounder was Connor Hurley or was he under the same rule as Fasching when he started college.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I wish we could jump 2 years into the future...I am getting so frustrated trying to defend the Sabres and what they are doing, to everyone.

Even some guy over in the Bills forum is complaining because WGR is talking about development camp..."because they're a bunch of scrubs from 2nd tier leagues."

I have never been this optimistic about the Sabres, EVER, in my entire life! It blows my mind people want to bash them and not support them.

I know some people here seem to say that most of these young players will be misses as far as making it in the NHL. But do any of u think as much money, scouts, and everything else Pegula put into the scouting department that there are going to be a lot more players making it. I truly believe so plus u have a guy like Murray who was an ex-scout. I think our prospect pool is really good and that some players might not stand out more because a lot of them are close in talent. I'm liking what I hear about Grigs. I think a full season in the AHL with his current workout program and skating help will really benefit his game. Worst case scenario is he is moved for something else. But I see a lot of these kids making it either on Buffalo or on another team. It sounds like this Wellman kid from high school is really opening eyes he just needs to keep working.I'm wondering if any of the kids that were invited to camp will get signed.

I want to believe, but if dumping more money into scouting resulted in appreciable gains in "hit %" in drafting, everyone would be doing it. I think it's like face-offs, more like instead of a 50% hit rate you get a %55 or %60 hit rate. Keep repeating: half for the guys in the first two rounds will never seriously see NHL ice. We'll all be less disappointed that way.

I wish we could jump 2 years into the future...I am getting so frustrated trying to defend the Sabres and what they are doing, to everyone.

Even some guy over in the Bills forum is complaining because WGR is talking about development camp..."because they're a bunch of scrubs from 2nd tier leagues."

I have never been this optimistic about the Sabres, EVER, in my entire life! It blows my mind people want to bash them and not support them.

I totally agree. People don't want to go thru a rebuild like this but it was totally necessary. Yeah let's finish 10-14 pick wise and be this mediocre team. No Fing Way I want that. This team should be pretty damn good and if people don't see it they sure will in a few years.

This is a great post. I'm excited about the future and I think a lot of these youngsters are going to be players. Maybe not all of them are gonna be on the Sabres. What people don't realize when u have a ton of good young players especially during 1 scrimmage game some guys are going to cancel out other players because they are pretty equal skill wise or just good at shutting other players down. I wouldn't look too much into one scrimmage game. This team has a lot of talent and like Bob said a lot of teams don't get that lucky and land a player like McKinnon who was great in his first year. His skating and pure speed are on a different level than most players. When u pick in the teens for years you just better hope your scouts hit on these players. Plus this last draft just wasn't loaded with a lot of high end talent. That's why I think it's important to keep all these youngsters in their respected league for one more year just to complete the tank. We came to far to change it now especially in a draft that is supposed to be really good.

Now to get off the Sabres for just a second I think Jonathan Droiun will be the Rookie to watch next year with all the moves Tampa made to that team. His skating and playmaking are top notch and will be just as dynamic as McKinnon.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your feedback and the fact you even took the time to read my post.

I don't post often, so when I do I like to add something of substance and bring something to the table.

I just cannot wrap my head around not getting behind this team and new regime simply because of "Dennis Persson and Marek Zagrapan." I haven't thought about those names in 5 years probably. They are gone. The people who drafted them are gone, and I'm pretty sure all their draft mates are gone too.

It's a new day in Buffalo Sabres hockey...we have a leader who knows what he is doing, as does his assistant...they've BOTH been "there."

I honestly, truly 100% feel like it is time for Sabres fans to pee or get off the pot...you're either with us, or you're not?

Thanks again for the feedback! :thumbsup:

I totally agree. People don't want to go thru a rebuild like this but it was totally necessary. Yeah let's finish 10-14 pick wise and be this mediocre team. No Fing Way I want that. This team should be pretty damn good and if people don't see it they sure will in a few years.

That was my exact thing, too...enough with chasing mediocrity, just missing the playoffs or finishing 8th to be bounced in the opening round...and drafting 8-14.

Time to right the ship and do the dirty work that needs to be done to make this team respectable again...for a VERY long time.

I want to compete and contend for the President's Trophy every year, or at least the division/conference...this is how you build a team to do that.

Like I laid out in my previous post, with a plan like this...there is no possible way to screw this up, there's just way too much talent to go around.

But this is what I mean, right here...how absurd is this and how do I even argue with that? (I tried my best, but facts aren't enough for him.)

The Hockey Hotline show is one of the worst things I have ever listened to. Kevin Sylvester is arrogant and his giggling at every tiny poor excuse for a joke is annoying. Andrew Peters has been hit in the head one too many times. So WGR has one show devoted to Hockey and one devoted to Football (John Murphy) The Hockey show is preempted 16 Mondays where as the Football show is preempted up to 82 times. WGR devotes far more time to hockey, barely a major sport in the USA, we are still in the USA right? We haven't been taken over by Canada have we?

Jeremy While will change the subject to hockey any chance he gets, even Junior Hockey. Is it any wonder he didn't get any bids for their golf tournament? When callers call the whiner line to complain about all the hockey talk, they brush it off as nonsense as if those callers don't have a point.

Why I started this post. The Bills reported to camp today and I turn on the radio at 3:00 and what is Schopp talking about? HOCKEY! It is 80 degrees out!!!

Enough already!

I want to believe, but if dumping more money into scouting resulted in appreciable gains in "hit %" in drafting, everyone would be doing it. I think it's like face-offs, more like instead of a 50% hit rate you get a %55 or %60 hit rate. Keep repeating: half for the guys in the first two rounds will never seriously see NHL ice. We'll all be less disappointed that way.

This is why the volume of picks is so important. Some guys we love will fail and some not on the radar will be good. But with the sheer number of picks we have (and will have)? It would take some pretty extraordinary bad luck to come out of this without at least a decent team.

It would take some pretty extraordinary bad luck to come out of this without at least a decent team.

Exactly.

Someone like Grigorenko might fail, but Olofsson could end up being a steal. (Theoretically speaking.)

I just see no way this team does not become good with all this talent...even if only the 1st rounders made it, that's enough for a darn good team.

Edited by Bob Malooga

This is why the volume of picks is so important. Some guys we love will fail and some not on the radar will be good. But with the sheer number of picks we have (and will have)? It would take some pretty extraordinary bad luck to come out of this without at least a decent team.

Very good point but I believe with all the scouts they have, video analysis of younger players and the amount of money Pegula has put into the scouting department I think u are gonna find a lot of players making it either with us or another team. People expect that if they don't see some superstar in a player they drafted they get down on him. These kids need time to develop and I think the scouting staff has pin pointed young players in the draft and have their minds made up on getting these players. The best is yet to come folks just be patient.

I doubt they are "good lines," but I just threw them together to show how much talent there really is in this organization...it's very deep.

Someone undoubtedly has to be traded at some point...possibly to bring in an Evander Kane or someone like that? (Idk?)

Ennis - Reinhart - Armia

Grigorenko - Girgensons - Hodgson

Carrier - Compher - Fasching

Foligno - Larsson - Baptiste

Lemeiux - Catenacci - Bailey

Possler - Cornel - Karabacek

McCabe - Myers

Zadorov - Ristolainen

Martin - Pysyk

Florentino - Ruhwedel

Austin - Gauthier Leduc

Ullmark

Johansson

Lieuwen

Makarov

And there are obviously A LOT of guys missing that I did not include...but in my opinion, this is the best of the best. (and I love it! Lol.)

EDIT: Took out McDavid as he is not part of the organization, "yet."

Edited by Bob Malooga

Exactly.

Someone like Grigorenko might fail, but Olofsson could end up being a steal. (Theoretically speaking.)

I just see no way this team does not become good with all this talent...even if only the 1st rounders made it, that's enough for a darn good team.

And who says if Grigs isn't unloaded to another team for another piece or pick. This finishing close to the playoffs or being a first round failure had to end. I'm actually been real excited about the future more so than ever with all these kids. It actually making me laugh at all the comments about Zadorov at camp that he is slow or he seems like he is skating in cement. The kid is a top defenseman in the OHL. The kid needs time to develop and work on his game. Geez these fans are killing me. I said when they tore it down it was going to be a 3-5 year rebuild but leaning more towards 5 years before we see the playoffs.

I doubt they are "good lines," but I just threw them together to show how much talent there really is in this organization...it's very deep.

Someone undoubtedly has to be traded at some point...possibly to bring in an Evander Kane or someone like that? (Idk?)

Ennis - McDavid - Armia

Grigorenko - Reinhart - Hodgson

Carrier - Girgensons - Fasching

Foligno - Larsson - Baptiste

Lemeiux - Compher - Bailey

Possler - Catenacci - Karabacek

McCabe - Myers

Zadorov - Ristolainen

Martin - Pysyk

Florentino - Ruhwedel

Austin - Gauthier Leduc

Ullmark

Johansson

Lieuwen

Makarov

And there are obviously A LOT of guys missing that I did not include...but in my opinion, this is the best of the best.

I agree and in a couple of years people will be wow we have a really good team and a ton of young talent.

And who says if Grigs isn't unloaded to another team for another piece or pick. This finishing close to the playoffs or being a first round failure had to end. I'm actually been real excited about the future more so than ever with all these kids. It actually making me laugh at all the comments about Zadorov at camp that he is slow or he seems like he is skating in cement. The kid is a top defenseman in the OHL. The kid needs time to develop and work on his game. Geez these fans are killing me. I said when they tore it down it was going to be a 3-5 year rebuild but leaning more towards 5 years before we see the playoffs.

I agree and in a couple of years people will be wow we have a really good team and a ton of young talent.

3-5 years TOPS in my opinion.

It is all about next year's draft...add 3 first round picks to that group...and then go into free agency guns-a-blazing, get whomever you want!

We start competing for the playoffs in 2015-16...start competing for the division in 2016-17...compete for a Stanley Cup in 2017-18.

Win it in 2018-19? :D

a key difference there is that that was a 1st a 3rd and a 4th.

The Tylers were also there, and they worked out, but the only other 2 1st rounders were Zagrapan and Persson.

So 2 of 5 first rounders turned into top 6/4 players. 3 if you take into account the kassian/hodgson trade.

This camp had 7 first rounders. and we're adding 3 more next year.

Without any improvement in drafting over the abysmal couple picks above, we should have our solid top 6/4 for years to come.

If any of these second rounders work out, that's just gravy.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I just think some of us want everyone to temper their enthusiasm a bit. Five years ago McNabb, Kassian and Foligno were going to lead us to the promise land. Now they are a 7th defenseman, a 4th liner, and a border line 3rd liner.

Shows how bad our system was at the time then doesn't it? It's a new day. Que some Goo Goo music. Nah don't! We are not doing wash rinse repeat.

If you can't see, sense and feel a difference then something's wrong with you.

Shows how bad our system was at the time then doesn't it? It's a new day. Que some Goo Goo music. Nah don't! We are not doing wash rinse repeat.

Tim Murray drinks Johnny Rez's tears with two cream and no sugar.

I'm glad some posters are getting the early action and calling their shots now but I'm just too cynical to feel that way

who is johnny rez ?

This guy

john-rzeznik-goo-goo-dolls-3535966-800-600.jpg

I'm glad some posters are getting the early action and calling their shots now but I'm just too cynical to feel that way

We can relax. Tim Murray is also too cynical to believe it. He's openly said the kids and the picks will be used to bring in NHL players when the time is ripe. Someone said when The Walking Dead started, "Don't get attached to the characters." It didn't really pan out as too many of the cast seem untouchable. I don't think the same will be said about these young Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.