Development camp - Blue & Gold scrimmage

BuffaloBorn

Thanks campy, same question for you I posed to X. Any chance we see some of this talent in the ECHL this coming year?

Not sure on Elmira - A goalie I would presume.... I'm not sure on the CHL rules.....but should The CHL season end....I don't think there is any reason why the junior players can't join Elmira for Kelly Cup should Rochester be crowded.

I think at the end of the day Samson will be a great player, I just didn't see much from him in this meaningless one game. Not sure if you were at the game or not X but I watched him a bunch without the puck. You can see the smarts and he was almost always going to the right spots, I just didn't see much in the way of a defensive effort when there weren't two guys on him. There were a few plays where a blue player was racing down the wall and Sam looked like he was coasting, just assuming the D would make the play rather than giving him support. Am I nitpicking? Sure. But for a kid that's second overall without flash, I was just hoping to see more. The good thing is once he gets bigger, those issues can easily be corrected.

I guess I'm just not ready to hand him a top line spot between Moulson and Gionta just yet.

Edited by Derrico

I think at the end of the day Samson will be a great player, I just didn't see much from him in this meaningless one game. Not sure if you were at the game or not X but I watched him a bunch without the puck. You can see the smarts and he was almost always going to the right spots, I just didn't see much in the way of a defensive effort when there weren't two guys on him. There were a few plays where a blue player was racing down the wall and Sam looked like he was coasting, just assuming the D would make the play rather than giving him support. Am I nitpicking? Sure. But for a kid that's second overall without flash, I was just hoping to see more. The good thing is once he gets bigger, those issues can easily be corrected.

I guess I'm just not ready to hand him a top line spot between Moulson and Gionta just yet.

I hear you. I guess the Pierre Turgeon thing seems like yesterday to me. Turgeon was very good, he just wasn't the what everyone expected - the next #11. Easy does it with Samson. D camp scrimmage....he held his own with physical play and didn't get concussed. :)

Carrier. Wow I have to start with him. I was really looking forward to seeing him and fasching as I didn't know much about either before the deadline deals. Fasching is pretty decent but needs atleast two years before he even sniffs the show. Carrier on the other hand was excellent. One of the best out there for sure. When we got him I was disappointed we didn't get the blues top pick (can't remember his name) but carrier is going to be a good one. Baker had him ranked outside our top 10 prospects. If that's the case we really are stacked.

I think Rattie was the guy everyone was pushing for.

I know a lot of people want to see some of these guys in Buffalo this upcoming season but I would rather them getting another year of development in whatever league they came from and that includes Reinhart. We have one more season of the tank and why abandon it now when we have a solid shot at McDavid or Eichel. Next year I'm all about Buffalo getting the kids in there and learning.

Lanny - I think you're right, his name slipped my mind last night. He's no Rattie but very encouraged with Carrier's play though.

X - Those were the two who stood out to me. I didn't know what to expect from either and thought both were two of the top 5 guys out there last night. I thought Carrier also handled the puck with speed. That play in I think the third where he pulled a toe drag and then rang it off the crossbar at full speed was unreal.

SBF - I agree with you. I could see Risto making it. I think Reinhart, Carrier, Pysyk and McCabe will be given a real shot. I could see Grigo being a late season callup if he improves in the AHL.

Watching college kids on the driving range at Springville CC and projecting out to how they'll play at the Masters.

Sorry, not buying into any of this. Wake me up when they're doing it on MSG and at MSG (against the Rangers, not during a Billy Joel concert).

—PADowner

Watching college kids on the driving range at Springville CC and projecting out to how they'll play at the Masters.

Sorry, not buying into any of this. Wake me up when they're doing it on MSG and at MSG (against the Rangers, not during a Billy Joel concert).

—PADowner

Rx 3 weeks of stewed prunes for breakfast to relieve constipation.

Dr. Benedict

—PADowner

I get excited because these kids are all we've got and there is no point being a fan without hope.

But PA's are wise words.

Risto looked like Rob Blake out there.

Has he grown that much, or is it because of who he was playing against?

—PADowner

I'm as cynical as the next guy but can't a few posters get excited about the only thing we've been given so far, hope for the future. Sure only a handful of these guys will ever be players you cheer for at the FNC but lets at least enjoy what we have.

Enjoyed reading all your thoughts. I wasn't disappointed in Samson at all. Everyone tried to put a body on him, and whenever he had the puck he seemed to draw two players to himself and made smart passes to open spots. He's going to be fine playmaker. But I think this brings up a good point in that anyone expecting high end flashiness from Samson isn't really going to see it. His game is Judo - he will take what is given, let the defender commit first, and use your weight against you.

That's it. He will make people around him better. Everyone says he has high hockey iq and it was visible watching him play.

I get excited because these kids are all we've got and there is no point being a fan without hope.

But PA's are wise words.

What he said...

Risto is the real deal. Big, smooth, smart. I made the Blake comparison as well. He just controls the game at both ends when he's on the ice. Out of everyone, I hope the fans latch onto him.

—PADowner

It was fun to watch. More fun in that it seems we are present at the birth of something that might be big with all this competition. Take it for what it is and enjoy. Go Sabres!! :)

—PADowner

I remember getting all the solos in the college band, then getting put on the spot as a spectator at a bar to play for Stan Kenton's old lead player who was stuck at the bridge.....and almost making a poopy in my pants.....

What he said...

Risto is the real deal. Big, smooth, smart. I made the Blake comparison as well. He just controls the game at both ends when he's on the ice. Out of everyone, I hope the fans latch onto him.

He looked better his second stint last year. He NEEDS to play physical, so if reports from last night hold...it's a step in the right direction. I don't want a 6'4" Ehrhoff.....

But PA's are wise words.

Rob Blake today or... :)

Fair responses all. I just hate that it's come to this. We don't get NHL games in the winter, we get prospect scrimmages in the summer.

It was fun to watch. More fun in that it seems we are present at the birth of something that might be big with all this competition. Take it for what it is and enjoy. Go Sabres!! :)

I let myself get caught up in Grigorenko fever at the scrimmage in 2012. The building was electric, fans were clamoring for jerseys. Not again. Not again. I just feel like we're being bamboozled here. Hope to be wrong.

Rob Blake today or... :)

Fair responses all. I just hate that it's come to this. We don't get NHL games in the winter, we get prospect scrimmages in the summer.

The regulars here have been following D camp for years. Good times and bad. So it hasn't really come to this. This is this.

Zen Benedict

I let myself get caught up in Grigorenko fever at the scrimmage in 2012. The building was electric, fans were clamoring for jerseys. Not again. Not again. I just feel like we're being bamboozled here. Hope to be wrong.

I have to say, the number of Grigorenko jerseys fans had was a bit embarrassing.

I have to say, the number of Grigorenko jerseys fans had was a bit embarrassing.

I don't get some of you guys , all the things i read of Grigs was that he did very much ok during scrimage, but still people on here saying he sucks donkey balls.

Not saying he did NHL ready ok, but all i read was he was on top 5 of performing prospects, and that does get my hopes up.

What he said...

I was as against picking Risto as anyone (not a knock on him, I just really wanted Nichushkin). But damn has he looked good since his initial stint in Buffalo. Anyone who thinks he's going to be in the A so Zadorov can get a roster spot is nuts.

I worry about the perception fans are going to get of Reinhart because of his style of play. He's not high octane out there, nor will he ever be, so he's unlikely to jump off the ice at you. As far as his offensive style goes, he's much more Brad Richards than Nathan MacKinnon.

To Drane's comments on Risto's physicality.

I loved the battle he and Lemieux had going on all night.

I loved that Lemieux targeted the biggest, best defenceman on the opposing team and went out of his way to make him miserable.

I loved how Risto reacted. He gave as good as he got and used the adversity to elevate his game.

I loved how after the game they embraced and talked for a long time going off the ice.

This is what this camp should be about. This is what I wanted to see.

I don't get some of you guys , all the things i read of Grigs was that he did very much ok during scrimage, but still people on here saying he sucks donkey balls.

Not saying he did NHL ready ok, but all i read was he was on top 5 of performing prospects, and that does get my hopes up.

I like him. I play hockey and saw one of his roof shot goals in the world competition and started doing it myself. But I'm still not going to go out and buy a jersey for a guy that might not even play on our team.

To Drane's comments on Risto's physicality.

I loved the battle he and Lemieux had going on all night.

I loved that Lemieux targeted the biggest, best defenceman on the opposing team and went out of his way to make him miserable.

I loved how Risto reacted. He gave as good as he got and used the adversity to elevate his game.

I loved how after the game they embraced and talked for a long time going off the ice.

This is what this camp should be about. This is what I wanted to see.

It did sound encouraging and that is a valid hope coming out of something like this.

I sort of poo-poo any talk of franchise prospect strength and cupboard stocking. I've seen McCabe, Larsson, Ruhweedle, and Grigorenko play and the first 3 are lucky to get 200 NHL games. Armia doesn't even exist in my mind. That's 5 of your top 20....so I discount any excitement about the future. You have your Girgensons and Zadorovs and maybe Risto....but then to me it's just a bunch of filler and hopefully one of the Lemieux/Fasching/Carrier types ends up hitting big. Maybe you get 2. If you rely on solely building through the draft, you will always be building.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.