SIGNING: Sabres Sign Matt Moulson

spndnchz

I like Moulson. He is smart around the net and doesn't take a beating because he is smooth. Solid effort..smart...he will work great with Reinhart. Seriously, who was here to get the puck to? Hodgson?

This is a discussion for another thread (which we will have later this summer when we get bored) but I believe you way too "down" on Cody.

Forget our guys, what about deadline deals, trades and free agents?

Glad everyone is so in love with him. I disagree. This is probably the first TM dud. Time will tell. He's certainly entitled to miss on a couple when he's taking big swings.

Let me see if I can explain thisso we can all move on. To me this is a Darcy contract. He's a decent player, but the contract is too long and the player is unlikely to be able to perform to the contract when we will need him to the most. He's also a Darcy kind of player in my opinion. I want TM players. I want ass kickers and power forwards who are bigger stronger tougher and meaner than the other team. I don't give a ###### what numbers moulson can put up in the first three years because I don't care what our results are. I care about year four and five when moulson will likely be a contractual and performance liability. As chz said we can buy him out then I guess. I was just hoping that the days of buying out bad contracts were behind us.

wait, isn't this the part where we call each other names?

This is all from page 3. It really seems like you don't like Moulson as I originally stated and that's ok. And now you've gravitated to throwing stones at Murray as a capologist. So I guess this is the part where we call each other names. Buzzkill overdone.

EJ Hradek made an abbreviated point on the wrapup tonight about Moulson and Tavares and what it could mean for Reinhart. I'll expand upon it, because I think it's worth serious consideration.

MattyMo played with Tavares in Long Island and helped him develop into the player he is today. They played together through Tavares' entire career until Moulson's trade to Buffalo. Tavares' game developed from 54 points in 82 games in his rookie season to 47 points in 48 games in his 4th season. Tavares started the 2013-14 season with 13 points in 11 games until Moulson was traded; Tavares would keep the same pace with Vanek to finish with 66 points in 59 games.

That's proven mentorship for our young centers, especially Reinhart (and in the future, McDavid, Eichel?). There's not many opportunities to find players that have that on their resume.

Think of it today from the Islanders perspective.

The Sabres got Moulson, Gorges, karabacek, Mitchel, and first and second rounders next year.

The Islanders got Sebastian Collberg and Josh Ho-Sang

Ho-Sang has the potential to be better than every single one of them, given that 1st round pick isn't McDavid or Eichel. But, nonetheless, I understand the point you were trying to make...I actually saw the same BUF/NYI tweet right after I asked the question here.

I'm impressed with Tim Murray, more and more, every move he makes...but, I still do not want to lose a top-2 pick next year.

(And yes, there were some draft picks and moves I didn't like, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with them...I like everything, so far.)

This is all from page 3. It really seems like you don't like Moulson as I originally stated and that's ok. And now you've gravitated to throwing stones at Murray as a capologist. So I guess this is the part where we call each other names. Buzzkill overdone.

Have another beer and chill out. Wow - people just can't stand someone not agreeing with this move! But accusing Pegula of being an accessory to child molestation is ok. This board has slid further than I thought. Or maybe it's just draft/free agent day fan boys crawling out of the woodwork.

Yeah! Go team! We are going to win the Stanley cup! Just don't count on new fan favorite Moulson to guide us there, as his career point production in the playoffs is just more than half of his regular season production.

Have another beer and chill out. Wow - people just can't stand someone not agreeing with this move! But accusing Pegula of being an accessory to child molestation is ok. This board has slid further than I thought. Or maybe it's just draft/free agent day fan boys crawling out of the woodwork.

Yeah! Go team! We are going to win the Stanley cup! Just don't count on new fan favorite Moulson to guide us there, as his career point production in the playoffs is just more than half of his regular season production.

How many playoff games has he been in? Crosby just went double digit playoff games in a row without a goal. ###### happens over tiny samples.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I notice that you aren't crazy about the signing of Moulson. That's okay.

Most of us thinks he fits today. In three years, we could be sick of looking at him. We'll see.

EJ Hradek made an abbreviated point on the wrapup tonight about Moulson and Tavares and what it could mean for Reinhart. I'll expand upon it, because I think it's worth serious consideration.

MattyMo played with Tavares in Long Island and helped him develop into the player he is today. They played together through Tavares' entire career until Moulson's trade to Buffalo. Tavares' game developed from 54 points in 82 games in his rookie season to 47 points in 48 games in his 4th season. Tavares started the 2013-14 season with 13 points in 11 games until Moulson was traded; Tavares would keep the same pace with Vanek to finish with 66 points in 59 games.

That's proven mentorship for our young centers, especially Reinhart (and in the future, McDavid, Eichel?). There's not many opportunities to find players that have that on their resume.

Except I read that bolded sentence and I wonder how much of it was Moulson and how much was Tavares. His time without Moulson was limited, but you basically just told us that nothing changed after he left. I don't know how that equates to proven mentorship.

I'm OK with the length of this contract. In reality, the players we just drafted recently and the ones we get next year are not going to be stars in 3 years time. Likewise, while we may make the playoffs, the Sabres aren't going to be seriously competing for a Stanley Cup in 3 years either. It's going to take us probably 5 years to get to the level of the Kings or Blackhawks. A 5 year deal gets us to that point. It allows for a positive Veteran presence until our youngsters are vets themselves and gunning for the Cup.

I don't know how that equates to proven mentorship.

I think any vet that has a high "care level" and specifically chooses to be a Sabre, despite the Tank, is a very good mentor and a guy you would like to have around.

Plus he's a proven to not be a Tank liability.

Edited by kas23

I'm OK with the length of this contract. In reality, the players we just drafted recently and the ones we get next year are not going to be stars in 3 years time. Likewise, while we may make the playoffs, the Sabres aren't going to be seriously competing for a Stanley Cup in 3 years either. It's going to take us probably 5 years to get to the level of the Kings or Blackhawks. A 5 year deal gets us to that point. It allows for a positive Veteran presence until our youngsters are vets themselves and gunning for the Cup.

I think any vet that has a high "care level" and specifically chooses to be a Sabre, despite the Tank, is a very good mentor and a guy you would like to have around.

Plus he's a proven to not be a Tank liability.

Excellent points all and clearly MM fits the bill and belongs here.

I'm not saying Gionta or Moulson is that guy, but someone who is willing to sign on to a tank situation could very easily be someone who is just looking for the biggest paycheck. It doesn't automatically make them a good team guy and someone you want around.

Edited by shrader

I'm not saying Gionta or Moulson is that guy, but someone who is willing to sign on to a tank situation could very easily be someone who is just looking for the biggest paycheck. It doesn't automatically make them a good team guy and someone you want around.

Sometimes, Ice-time is king.

Now don't you thing Murray is aware of that possibility. He is bringing in players he feels will make good mentors.

Moulson just seems ot be a high character kind of person, who honestly wants to be here, and One who is willing to help develop younger players and sacrifice some in exchange for that good payday

I think the key here is the and

I put Mezaros more on the lines you are stating.

I think Moulson and Gionta are more toward what Kas is talking about (I understand that you were not implying that Moulson and Gionta were anything different.

I think the key here is the and

I put Mezaros more on the lines you are stating.

I think Moulson and Gionta are more toward what Kas is talking about (I understand that you were not implying that Moulson and Gionta were anything different.

Right, I'm just focusing on the logic that a guy willing to sign here must be a good team guy. That portion of the statement really doesn't belong at all the more I think about it now. The portion before your highlighted and really tells the whole story when it comes to what we should be looking for.

Right, I'm just focusing on the logic that a guy willing to sign here must be a good team guy. That portion of the statement really doesn't belong at all the more I think about it now. The portion before your highlighted and really tells the whole story when it comes to what we should be looking for.

Agreed. I mostly wanted to use the platform to espouse my interpretation of the Andrej Mesz;lsfkaros signing.

Hey, if you want to bring in a guy who may have more of a money focus, a one year deal really isn't a bad way to go.

yup. he's here to convert $4M into an additional pick come March.

between Him and Staff, we could have another solid haul of first round picks.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Except I read that bolded sentence and I wonder how much of it was Moulson and how much was Tavares. His time without Moulson was limited, but you basically just told us that nothing changed after he left. I don't know how that equates to proven mentorship.

Understandable. I can't, with any tangible evidence, claim that Moulson made Tavares the player he is. But he certainly didn't ###### up Tavares' development, and the lack of a measurable increase in production with Vanek at least partially verifies that to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.