Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

Jovanovski is 38. The only reason to pick him up off waivers is if they really need his $4.1M contract to get to the cap floor.

I think there's definitely some value in having some grown-ups in the room to help the young players deal with what is going to be a difficult season. Not sure if that's Jovo or not, but if Ehrhoff was just going to bitch then I'm glad he's gone.

I think there's definitely some value in having some grown-ups in the room to help the young players deal with what is going to be a difficult season. Not sure if that's Jovo or not, but if Ehrhoff was just going to bitch then I'm glad he's gone.

Fair point; let's do it with Orpik.

picking someone up off of waivers instead of letting them get a big payday and go ufa is a dick move that most likely would cause the player to be resentful and negative.... isn't that the opposite of what we want?

The best payday Jovo will get is if he's picked up off waivers at his current contract, because no one is signing a 38 year old to a contract paying more than $4.1M (what he makes now). He would bless any team that took him. That said, I'd greatly prefer Orpik.

picking someone up off of waivers instead of letting them get a big payday and go ufa is a dick move that most likely would cause the player to be resentful and negative.... isn't that the opposite of what we want?

Jovo Cop has a big payday waiting? He won't get that much on the open market. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets zero interest and retires.

(Technically, he'll get the $4.1 whether he's claimed or not, so any money he would get as a FA is extra, but not much).

Edited by Tankalicious

At the end of the year when we were dressing a collection of random throw aways from other teams? After the team made it clear they wanted to tank to get the best possible pick? Any good player would have been frustrated by that. I don't blame The Hoff one bit.

He had the right to be frustrated and angry, but that should have drove him to play harder. Girgs was angered by the losing so he played harder. In Ehrhoff's case he's getting a boat load of money to play, thus no excuse to not give his all

The best payday Jovo will get is if he's picked up off waivers at his current contract, because no one is signing a 38 year old to a contract paying more than $4.1M (what he makes now). He would bless any team that took him. That said, I'd greatly prefer Orpik.

perhaps I should have said double dip on getting paid?

A fitting end to one of the worst contracts in franchise history. In what may have been one of the worst off-seasons in Sabres history, signing Ehrhoff & Leino.

Ehrhoff is a good defenseman, not great. He had zero chance of living up tot the value of that contract. I have little doubt that Ehrhoff will go to a contending team and be a great help.

All that's left for Murray to do is find trade partners to dump Stafford & Hodgson and collect some more picks in the 2015 draft and we are looking at an off season to remember.

Ehrhoff certainly walked through the back end of the season.

That doesn't change the fact he was our best player.

I guess I understand the why after reading Vogl's story, but this really leaves a huge hole in the lineup and it's a step backward in our push to reach the floor.

I don't do this unless I have a plan that I am pretty sure is going to work.

I am very interested in what Tim will do next and will be second-guessing this until he makes his moves.

Trade for Campbell, sign Orpik?

I think there's a certain kind of player out there. Old guys or guys just playing for the love of the game. There are people who really like that mentor role. A contender won't take them but the Sabres will pay them with no expectation of them actually winning, just bringing the right attitude.

These guys exist.

I don't think they exist when they have a reasonable alternative. If it's between the Sabres and unemployment, sure. Given equal pay and term, who would choose the Sabres? Sure some will come here for a significant overpayment, but is chasing the money really a better example for the kids than Ehrhoff?

I don't think they exist when they have a reasonable alternative. If it's between the Sabres and unemployment, sure. Given equal pay and term, who would choose the Sabres? Sure some will come here for a significant overpayment, but is chasing the money really a better example for the kids than Ehrhoff?

The Sabres aren't an awful destination. They're going to suck next year and then contend for the playoffs with a team stacked with young talent the year after. If you already have a Cup and you want to get paid, that's a good deal.

Translation : "You have the gall to bitch about the team sucking, while not doing a damn thing to change that yourself, while making millions of dollars - Get the ###### out of my sight!"

exactly, get the fck out is right.... and he WILL be getting the one major boo from me the second he skates on our ice.

The Sabres aren't an awful destination. They're going to suck next year and then contend for the playoffs with a team stacked with young talent the year after. If you already have a Cup and you want to get paid, that's a good deal.

While I think they'll be an entertaining team the year after next, I don't see them as a bubble team quite yet. Maybe though.

How many guys are happy with one Cup? I'm always under the impression that most want another after they win one.

On top of that, Buffalo is a pretty amazing place for a hockey player to be.

But I still think the Sabres will have to pay more than other teams for FAs right now.

There was speculations over the last couple of days regarding ongoing talks with the Leafs. I wonder if Ehroff for Gunderson was talked about or possibly Tim Gleason coming back in return.

It leaves (no pun intended) me thinking if the Sabres are positioning themselves to take on a couple of Gleason like contracts. Short term contracts of value other teams are trying to dump to create cap space. It could be a good way yo acquire some extra picks.

Edited by DeLuca1967

On top of that, Buffalo is a pretty amazing place for a hockey player to be.

But I still think the Sabres will have to pay more than other teams for FAs right now.

They will, but they have to anyway to hit the cap floor.

Orpik makes sense. He's at the age where he'll want to cash in, he's already won the Cup with Pittsburgh, and he's from West Seneca.

There was speculations over the last couple of days regarding ongoing talks with the Leafs. I wonder if Ehroff for Gunderson was talked about or possibly Tim Gleason coming back in return.

It leaves (no pun intended) me thinking if the Sabres are positioning themselves to take on a couple of Gleason like contracts. Short term contracts of value other teams are trying to dump to create cap space. It could be a good way yo acquire some extra picks.

Tim certainly said he wants to that, so maybe something is pending.

Taking Gleason would make it tough to re-sign Ott.

I think Ehrhoff will end up getting more on the open market than he was making in Buffalo.

@JoeYerdonPHT: How bad does Darcy Regier look now for the summer of 2011? Leino and Ehrhoff both bought out.

Good point.

Darcy was drunk on Pegula cash, signing free agents like a drunk sailor on liberty call.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The recapture penalty and the long term contract were a handcuff. His vet experience isn't enough to outweigh that.

You just described the guys we'll be getting. Sabres or retirement/another equal bottom feeder.

Any player who doesn't fit that mold will be the ones we over pay. You get the guy with the right attitude and you pay him a little more. It might be a nice fit over a bubble team.

How many of the guys on the UFA list have won a Cup? Those are the guys I'm targeting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.