Tyler Myers going forward

LGR4GM

Sorry for all the new thread haters but everyone is discussing this in 3 different threads. Lets consolidate it.

Rumor is Detroit wants Tyler Myers. The price is unknown. Now I have openly argued that Tyler Myers is maxed out for the most part. He will be a 30-40pt a year defender and is a 3/4 guy. His physical talent does not match his mental limitations.

Now some have argued against this with some good points including his improvement last year. No one wants to see him shipped off and then turn into a star. That would make us look like crap.

So where do you see Myers going forward? Does the Detroit rumor interest you at all and if so what would it take to get Myers? Do you think his value is low? Do you want Myers on this team for another year or 3 or 6? What in your mind is Tyler Myers potential from here on out? I have stated mine, now it is your turn.

If a mod has the free time combining the other discussions on this would be helpful.

The only reason I consider trading Myers away is that we have Risto and Zadorov to fill his potential gap, and then some. I'd give him one more year to see if he can pull something together under Nolan, and to see how Risto and Zadorov develop, but I wouldn't be upset if they traded him away at tonight's draft.

The only reason I consider trading Myers away is that we have Risto and Zadorov to fill his potential gap, and then some. I'd give him one more year to see if he can pull something together under Nolan, and to see how Risto and Zadorov develop, but I wouldn't be upset if they traded him away at tonight's draft.

It all depends on who Buffalo gets coming back. It's not like Myers has been this superstud defenseman the last two years.

Don't trade the kid unless it's an offer you can refuse! Trading him to a division team I would ask for more then I would a western conference team. If Detroit wants him, nothing less then a 2014 first round with Nyquist, or a 2015 first with Mantha. That's not where I would start negotiations, but like I said, divisional team will get him for nothing less

Red Wings fan here.

I don't really want Myers in Detroit, but I understand that the DTW system/blue line would be good for him and possibly mold him into a quality defenseman. No chance of him going to forward with the wings- they're swimming in them. Mantha has had Detroit drooling on him for quite awhile. I've heard rumours about these guys going to Buffalo for Myers:

Nyquist

Franzen

Tatar

Jurco

Sheahan

Nyquist I highly doubt- he seems to be in grooming to be another Zetterberg, plus he's Swedish, so hands off. Franzen has been better than in recent years, I'm not sure Buffalo getting Franzen helps anyone. Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, all young. Sheahan can be a drunken Teletubby here as well as in Detroit.

It all depends on who Buffalo gets coming back. It's not like Myers has been this superstud defenseman the last two years.

I highly doubt Detroit moves Mantha + anything for Myers. You don't make it to 23 consecutive postseasons by trading away your best prospect for such a huge risk.

The confident Myers is a completely different animal from the tentative Myers. The tentative Myers is terrible. It's hard to imagine a player with as much size and skill being so bad as to be the worst player on the ice. The confident Myers is very, very good and could get a lot better.

The instant Nolan got hold of Myers he became a lot different than the Rolston Myers. He wasn't instantly great or even very good but there was a noticeable and substantial change. After awhile, it was almost exclusively the confident Myers. Coaching really can make a huge difference in certain players, other players are entirely self-motivated.

To me, we cannot trade Myers right now unless it was an outrageous deal. Nolan really can bring out the confident Myers on a consistent basis. If he gets to the point that he plays an entire season as the confident Myers, it could propel him to the player most of us have imagined. He was clearly our best player for some stretches. It's a shame he got hurt. We have to see if Nolan can keep his head right this coming season.

Red Wings fan here.

I don't really want Myers in Detroit, but I understand that the DTW system/blue line would be good for him and possibly mold him into a quality defenseman. No chance of him going to forward with the wings- they're swimming in them. Mantha has had Detroit drooling on him for quite awhile. I've heard rumours about these guys going to Buffalo for Myers:

Nyquist

Franzen

Tatar

Jurco

Sheahan

Nyquist I highly doubt- he seems to be in grooming to be another Zetterberg, plus he's Swedish, so hands off. Franzen has been better than in recent years, I'm not sure Buffalo getting Franzen helps anyone. Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, all young. Sheahan can be a drunken Teletubby here as well as in Detroit.

:clapping:

I wonder if he'd be willing to do intermission shows with Sabretooth :lol:

I highly doubt Detroit moves Mantha + anything for Myers. You don't make it to 23 consecutive postseasons by trading away your best prospect for such a huge risk.

Detroit desperately needs right handed players, especially defenseman. If they can pick one or two up in free agency they will not even look at Myers. If they can't they will have to pony up the dough. Buffalo is rebuilding, they're not about to give away a young Calder winning D man because Detroit wants to keep all their prospects

Edited by Naulter8

sorry Josie and Glass Case, but this thread has nothing to do with Myers being moved to the forward position - "moving forward" = what to do with him in the future = does he stay or go

Glass Case, you may have been joking, I don't know

I figured that, but reread the first post and thought "well, maybe they ARE talking about pushing him up" so I figured I'd mention it. Thought it was absurd, but haven't been lurking as much as usual so thought I might've missed a discussion somewhere. I'm also currently in the process of packing up my office at work (we're moving to a new office downtown) and probably read it wrong. Sorry!

I HIGHLY DOUBT (new catchphrase, yo) Detroit is willing to give away Mantha. Every Detroit related rag I've read the last couple months must cover Mantha ray love every other sentence.

I agree but if I'm Murray the move has to be Mantha for sure if Detroit is the team.

I'd imagine it'd be a few players/picks coming from both sides if Mantha and Myers are the center-pieces of both trades. Mantha would be huge if we acquired him, especially if the cost is to deplete our deepest part of our farm system to build up one of our weakest.

Detroit desperately needs right handed players, especially defenseman. If they can pick one or two up in free agency they will not even look at Myers. If they can't they will have to pony up the dough. Buffalo is rebuilding, they're not about to give away a young Calder winning D man because Detroit wants to keep all their prospects

I don't think Myers is Murray's guy; Murray holds no attachment to any of the players he inherited, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to start from scratch with his own guys. Saying that though that doesn't mean Murray will just throw Myers away, but if Detroit's not willing to dance I'm sure Murray will look for other's on the floor.

I've got 5 essentially untradeables (would take tremendous offer for me to want to see them gone) and he is one. The other 4 are Ehrhoff (cap recapture threat), Zadorov, Girgensons, and guy they'll pick in about 6 hours.

I know people hate the 'potential' argument, but I've seen enough flashes to not want him jettisoned for just anything.

I am happy to trade any guy if the price is right.

However, Myers price is high. I think he breaks out next season. He is still a young guy and has been maturing whilst asked to shoulder the workload with Ehrhoff. He will do well this season - if we trade him i bet we end up kicking ourselves

I've got 5 essentially untradeables (would take tremendous offer for me to want to see them gone) and he is one. The other 4 are Ehrhoff (cap recapture threat), Zadorov, Girgensons, and guy they'll pick in about 6 hours.

I know people hate the 'potential' argument, but I've seen enough flashes to not want him jettisoned for just anything.

I'd trade the whole team. We saw what they were capable of last year and the answer is 32nd.

It's an incomplete Myers thread without a Chara comparison. I'm in the "there's still potential to be a dominant #1" camp. Don't do it! If on the other hand Nolan and Murray think he's too mental to fix (confidence / IQ / desire), then so be it, trade-away.

It's an incomplete Myers thread without a Chara comparison. I'm in the "there's still potential to be a dominant #1" camp. Don't do it! If on the other hand Nolan and Murray think he's too mental to fix (confidence / IQ / desire), then so be it, trade-away.

Both Nolan and Murray have spoken very highly of Myers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.