Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

you make a lot of sense. Basically we will be giving big contracts to players with potential...we hope. Who knows, it just might work out in the long run

Thanks.

And keep in mind that if the FAs crash and burn, they were only placeholders and the goal was still achieved - we got to the cap floor.

I think the only thing GMTM and Co are concerned with is signing guys that are hard working on and off the ice, that are hard to play against, and can show the young guys by example what it takes to play in the NHL.

Just my take.

Here we go:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie now

NSH trying to deal Michael Del Zotto before 4 ET. If no deal, do they qualify at $2.9M or let him go UFA. Suspect it's latter but not firm.

He's drawing interest from Garth Snow:

@NYP_Brooksie

Told that Islanders have been looking into Del Zotto, whose rights will either be dealt today by Nashville or who will not be qualified.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: T.J. Galiardi is not being qualified by CGY. He'll go to UFA.

I am pretty surprised. I think he's a decent bottom six guy who brings some skill.

11- Del Zotto has really fallen in two years. I think a team will be happy to have him.

Del Zotto didn't look great last year, that's for sure, but maybe Nolan can make something out of him. And if not, who cares? The Sabres aren't going anywhere next year anyway.

Now, the fact that he's drawing interest from Snow, well, that has me concerned.

Edited by Eleven

MDZ was a healthy scratch down the stretch here in Nashville. The Preds are pretty loaded with offensive defensemen, so I'm not sure why Poille traded a steady, reliable guy like Kevin Klein for yet another offensive d-man in MDZ. The Rangers won that trade by a landslide.

MDZ was a healthy scratch down the stretch here in Nashville. The Preds are pretty loaded with offensive defensemen, so I'm not sure why Poille traded a steady, reliable guy like Kevin Klein for yet another offensive d-man in MDZ. The Rangers won that trade by a landslide.

Something to do with Poile not being a very good GM. I mean he's alright, but I'm still ticked over the construction of the US Olympic roster.

Boston University kid, right?

Yes, and that previous comparison of him to Ellis actually sound pretty accurate based on his college days. He was very productive and entertaining at that level, but he was a little older than the most of the rest of his class, so his ceiling wasn't as high. I think that's a big part of why I'm always skeptical about some of the unsigned college seniors who get a lot of hype (Yip was drafted though). The ceiling tends to be very low with those guys (ie. Matt Gilroy).

And the other part of my bias is that he once hit on a friend of mine in very hilarious fashion.

On a NY radio station right after the Preds season ended Del Zotto said going from NY to Nashville was like "returning to juniors."

He claimed that he meant as far as not having chemistry... But I don't believe that makes sense.

I'd like to snag Brian Boyle. He is someone I would give the longer-term deal to. The guy is huge at 6'7. Hes good on face-offs, plays with heart, sells himself out to block shots. Just a great team player. Makes me think of a 1980 US Olympian type. If we are good in 2-3 years, guys like him are so crucial to team success in the playoffs. He also has a decent pair of hands.

A dream world would have us landing Iginla for 1 year 10 million and selling him on top line ice time and leading the young kids. Then we deal him at the deadline to a team of his choosing.

(1st round pick return required!) Obviously that is very unlikely to happen. Reinhart's favorite player growing up was Jarome Iginla.

B. Boyle for 4 years 18 million.

Ott for 3 years 12 million

Gionta 2 years 8 million

Orpik 2 years 7 million

Moulson 1 year 12 million :

Trade at deadline! (to team who plays the most games against NYI after the deadline)*

If Tim Murray is actually able to sign some of the above names to steep $$$ 1 year contracts (as I'm sure he would want to) and then retain salary and trade them at the deadline for assets, he is a genius. Especially if that happens to be Moulson.

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Del Zotto is a tougher version of Myers.....

I don't know if that negates your point or supports it.....

I know he still has that Ranger scent on him that you love so much, but no, he isn't. Del Zotto is a homeless man's Myers.

I missed it earlier, but if the Ducks can't sign Perreault he's a guy I'd be interested in for the right price.

I like the idea I heard; offer some veterans 1 year contracts, with the understanding that the Sabres will try to trade them to playoff teams at the deadline so they can compete for Cup. Then they can come back the next year if they want. Rinse and repeat.

I'd like to snag Brian Boyle. He is someone I would give the longer-term deal to. The guy is huge at 6'7. Hes good on face-offs, plays with heart, sells himself out to block shots. Just a great team player. Makes me think of a 1980 US Olympian type. If we are good in 2-3 years, guys like him are so crucial to team success in the playoffs. He also has a decent pair of hands.

I'd go 4 years 18 million.

I wouldn't mind him at all.

I like the idea I heard; offer some veterans 1 year contracts, with the understanding that the Sabres will try to trade them to playoff teams at the deadline so they can compete for Cup. Then they can come back the next year if they want. Rinse and repeat.

I think that's pretty unrealistic for the most part. Especially for the guys with families, two or more moves in a calendar year is not what they're looking for.

I wouldn't mind him at all.

Neither would I, but not at anywhere near $4.5x4.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.