Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but let's say the Sabres finish last and lose the lottery for the top pick. Does anyone think there are any teams in the lottery who would choose Eichel and leave us McDavid? McDavid and Eichel are often labeled co-number one's, but it seems unlikely to me anyone would pass on McDavid.

Edited by BagBoy

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but let's say the Sabres finish last and lose the lottery for the top pick. Does anyone think there are any teams in the lottery who would choose Eichel and leave us McDavid? McDavid and Eichel are often labeled co-number one's, but it seems unlikely to me anyone would pass on McDavid.

Just about everything I've seen concludes with definitely McDavid first, definitely Eichel second, and everyone else at three or lower, be it Hannifin, Crouse, Strome, Provorov, etc.

Some have called both McDavid and Eichel "generational talents" (specifically Button at TSN), but whatever the labels for either, or how close they're considered to be, it's always McDavid 1, Eichel 2.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

IKnowPhysics, on 13 Feb 2015 - 9:35 PM, said:

Just about everything I've seen concludes with definitely McDavid first, definitely Eichel second, and everyone else at three or lower, be it Hannifin, Crouse, Strome, Provorov, etc.

Some have called both McDavid and Eichel "generational talents" (specifically Button at TSN), but whatever the labels for either, or how close they're considered to be, it's always McDavid 1, Eichel 2.

Agreed.  I'm not anywhere near the level of obsessive-compulsive lots of folks are here, but it's been clear that McDavid is the 1 and Eichel is the two.  The only real debate is how far apart they actually are.

No.  Post the WJC everyone who is anyone agrees McDavid is #1 and Eichel is #2

No.  Post the WJC everyone who is anyone agrees McDavid is #1 and Eichel is #2

Yeah, if the Sabres win the lottery Murray will step up to the podium, point at McDavid, toss the microphone and walk off. 

Edited by thanes16

Yeah, if the Sabres win the lottery Murray will step up to the podium, point at McDavid, toss the microphone and walk off. 

Even if the Sabres lose the lottery, Murray will step up to the podium and point at McDavid.  Connor will take off the number one team's jersey, toss it aside, and walk up to the stage.

Screw it. I say use the whole clock. Then read off a card while up there and pause at the name like you forget who you are picking.

This would be great.

Pretty much how I picture Murray going to the podium. I'm gonna try to learn how to edit this and make it Bettman standing behind the stand

bJElaYb.jpg

Sabres have had 4

Minnesota (10): Neal Broten (North Stars), Dave Christian (Jets), David Backes (Blues), Darby Hendrickson (Wild), Mark Johnson (Whalers), Jamie Langenbrunner (Devils), Reed Larson (Red Wings), Mike Ramsey (Sabres), John Mariucci (Blackhawks), Mark Parrish (Wild)

Massachusetts (6): Tony Amonte (Blackhawks), Tom Fitzgerald (Predators), Robbie Ftorek (Nordiques), Bill Guerin (Islanders), Shawn McEachern (Thrashers), Keith Tkachuk (Jets, Coyotes)

Michigan (5): Derian Hatcher (Stars and Flyers), Kevin Hatcher (Capitals), Mike Modano (Stars), Brian Rolston (Wild), Doug Weight (Islanders and Oilers)

New York (4): Dustin Brown (Kings), Ryan Callahan (Rangers), Craig Conroy (Flames), Brian Gionta (Canadiens, Sabres)

Connecticut (2): Chris Clark (Capitals), Chris Drury (Sabres and Rangers)

Illinois (2): Chris Chelios (Canadiens and Blackhawks), Lee Fogolin (Oilers)

Texas (2): Michael Christie (Rockies), Brian Leetch (Rangers)

Iowa (1): Russ Anderson (Whalers)

Missouri (1): Pat LaFontaine (Sabres)

New Jersey (1): Jim Dowd (Wild)

Rhode Island (1): Keith Carney (Wild)

Utah (1): Steve Konowalchuk (Capitals)

Washington, D.C. (1): Jeff Halpern (Capitals)

I Googled it. It's 37, really.

I was surprised at how easy it was to find once I changed my google search.

It's actually 38 when you include McDonagh.

Edited by Tank

Still lots of work to do in order to guarantee Eichel.

Oilers have 3 Games Remaining againts teams that are more than 10 points out of a playoff spot while the Sabres have 9.

The avg points per team the Sabres play is 61 while the Oilers is 63. However, if you take out the 2 games the Sabres have against Nashville the Avg Points drops to 55.

The good news is that if the Sabres go at best 10-17 down the stretch the Oilers would only have to win 8 out 25. 

Big week ahead as both teams play 4 games.

Hoping for at best 1-3 for Sabres and 1-3 at worst for Oilers.

Edited by Crusader1969

For as much talk as there has been about not trading 2015 picks plenty have been dealt thus far...

Buffalo owns two picks (theirs and the better of NYI/St. Louis)

Winnipeg owns two picks (theirs and the worse of NYI/St. Louis)

Toronto owns two picks (theirs and Nashville)

Edmonton owns two picks (theirs and Pittsburgh)

Tampa Bay owns two picks (theirs and NYR)

I expect at least a couple more to go between now and March 2nd, as well. Some teams could be made or broken in this draft.

For as much talk as there has been about not trading 2015 picks plenty have been dealt thus far...

Buffalo owns two picks (theirs and the better of NYI/St. Louis)

Winnipeg owns two picks (theirs and the worse of NYI/St. Louis)

Toronto owns two picks (theirs and Nashville)

Edmonton owns two picks (theirs and Pittsburgh)

Tampa Bay owns two picks (theirs and NYR)

I expect at least a couple more to go between now and March 2nd, as well. Some teams could be made or broken in this draft.

But will the bubble teams risk it? So far every moved pick is a playoff team. The Isles and maybe the Rags were the only teams that took some risk at the time of moving theirs. The rest (yes, even St. Louis) knew they were playoff teams at the time of the trade. This will be interesting to watch. I don't think those bubble teams will trade their pick.

But will the bubble teams risk it? So far every moved pick is a playoff team. The Isles and maybe the Rags were the only teams that took some risk at the time of moving theirs. The rest (yes, even St. Louis) knew they were playoff teams at the time of the trade. This will be interesting to watch. I don't think those bubble teams will trade their pick.

Maybe one with think they need one final piece for the push.

Edited by Tank

Maybe one with think they need one final piece for the push.

Fortunately things have tightened up a bit. A week or two ago, it looked like there would be no race whatsoever for the last few spots. Now Boston's gone cold and Florida (also gone cold) and Philly at least belong in the conversation. Minnesota and LA are in play out west. So maybe one of those 4-6 teams consider the move, but I don't think anyone else outside the window would.

Fortunately things have tightened up a bit. A week or two ago, it looked like there would be no race whatsoever for the last few spots. Now Boston's gone cold and Florida (also gone cold) and Philly at least belong in the conversation. Minnesota and LA are in play out west. So maybe one of those 4-6 teams consider the move, but I don't think anyone else outside the window would.

Nobody below them but there are multiple teams above them that might.

Vermette likely garners a first. Some of the Leafs young guys might if they go that route. Sekera might.