World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Brazil have won it 5 times That's a WC best. Germany have appeared in the semi-finals 13 times. That's a WC best.

Germany have won it 3 times. Brazil have only 11 SF appearances.

If Germany win a 4th time, this year, does that make them the unofficial kings of the soccer world? I think so.

Not when they lost a semifinal to Italy (a 4-time winner) at home, no.

Also, only half of Germany won twice. The other half didn't come close. Why should West Germany's successes count, but not East Germany's failures?

Brazil is still the king, no matter what happens tomorrow.

I want Germany to win.

they are always era's in which 1 nation is dominating. I don't think it makes much sense to compare the teams regarding throphies. Football was a different sport 60 or even 20 years ago. Some WOrld Cups were rigged as well. There are rumors about 1978 in Argentina and the World Cup in 1934 which was won by Italy was rigged as well.

A few stories from the 1934 World Cup

Referees were invited by Mussolini and recieved money to let italy win. In the game Italy vs. Austria the referee even cleared an Austrian corner by heading it out of danger. :D The goal that gave Italy the 1:0 win back then was funny as well. The Austrian goalie had the ball in his hand and the Italy players pushed/caried him with the ball into the goal...

Nevertheless this counts as 1 of Italy's 4 wins.

Edited by Peppy22

they are always era's in which 1 nation is dominating. I don't think it makes much sense to compare the teams regarding throphies. Football was a different sport 60 or even 20 years ago. Some WOrld Cups were rigged as well. There are rumors about 1978 in Argentina and the World Cup in 1934 which was won by Italy was rigged as well.

A few stories from the 1934 World Cup

Referees were invited by Mussolini and recieved money to let italy win. In the game Italy vs. Austria the referee even cleared an Austrian corner by heading it out of danger. :D The goal that gave Italy the 1:0 win back then was funny as well. The Austrian goalie had the ball in his hand and the Italy players pushed/caried him with the ball into the goal...

Nevertheless this counts as 1 of Italy's 4 wins.

Nonsense. This implies that Italy was attacking at some point.

But seriously, if we're talking about eras, let's consider that last week was Germany's first semifinal in 12 years. Hardly dominating.

That said, your boys have been by far the most entertaining team AND the most skilled team at this tournament, and I really hope they put on another display this afternoon.

Edited by Eleven

So looks like Germany just ripped the heart out of South America late in the game

Pretty good game. That cup winning goal was pretty sick.

I just can't get past the diving, though. I just can't.

Pretty good game. That cup winning goal was pretty sick.

I just can't get past the diving, though. I just can't.

I'm at work, I just followed on ESPN. Com so I didn't actually see it.... But the diving was probably at its finest today, I can only imagine

I'm at work, I just followed on ESPN. Com so I didn't actually see it.... But the diving was probably at its finest today, I can only imagine

Didn't see many diving. Did see Argentina and especially Mascherano getting away with way to much.

But that has been this way all tournament long.

One of the sickest goals in the tournament though :D

Didn't see many diving. Did see Argentina and especially Mascherano getting away with way to much.

European and American standards on what constitutes diving are clearly not aligned.

Mario Götze!!!

Pals i was sober during the game, because i was sober during the quater and semi finals but now I emptied my Talisker destillers edition bottle this is a fantastic evening.

What a game it was tight , but I believe we earned this title.

Sabres next, Germany again 2034

Amazing game!

Drane will be happy that goatse got the win.

Germany didn't dive. Their players got tripped, got up, got back into the play. I really liked that team.

Amazing game!

Drane will be happy that goatse got the win.

Germany didn't dive. Their players got tripped, got up, got back into the play. I really liked that team.

Schweiny got punched in the face, got stitched up hockey style and went back on the pitch…….Great game, great team……4 stars

But seriously, if we're talking about eras, let's consider that last week was Germany's first semifinal in 12 years. Hardly dominating.

What? Germany reached the semifinal in 2002 2006 2010 and 2014.. they are the first nation ever to reach 4 consecutive world cup semis and the only team in the history to reach a world cup final in the past 7 decades

1954*

1974*

1982, 1986

1990*

2014*

BOTTOM LINE

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! BY FAR! I am so happy right now I can not put it into words. Saw many tears of joy last night.

500.000 people at the viewing party in berlin. huging people you ahve never seen before. dancing all night long

Edited by Peppy22

What? Germany reached the semifinal in 2002 2006 2010 and 2014.. they are the first nation ever to reach 4 consecutive world cup semis and the only team in the history to reach a world cup final in the past 7 decades

1954*

1974*

1982, 1986

1990*

2014*

BOTTOM LINE

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE! BY FAR! I am so happy right now I can not put it into words. Saw many tears of joy last night.

500.000 people at the viewing party in berlin. huging people you ahve never seen before. dancing all night long

Apparently I read a statistic incorrectly or something…anyway, enjoy the win!

1954*

1974*

1982, 1986

1990*

2014*

BOTTOM LINE

Was thinking of going to party in germany myself, but knew i wouldn't get back in time for work on tuesday for sure :P

Guest Sloth

went to bed at 5am and the streets were still filled with people. fireworks everywhere was like new years eve. Many people like me took the day off today.

Very happy for you and your country! Soccer's popularity has grown in the U.S., but not to what you guys have it at in Germany. If the U.S. had won the World Cup, the celebration wouldn't have been as large. Not as many employers would be "understanding" why a person called in "sick" that day after winning a World Cup. One can only hope. Again, congrats to Germany!!! Glad they won it.

Not when they lost a semifinal to Italy (a 4-time winner) at home, no.

Also, only half of Germany won twice. The other half didn't come close. Why should West Germany's successes count, but not East Germany's failures?

Brazil is still the king, no matter what happens tomorrow.

I want Germany to win.

Not following the logic behind the bolded. It appears that you're saying that because the Germans had to put 2 teams out there for ~45 years, the successes of the bifurcated team are somehow diminished. Wouldn't WG's success be even more impressive because they didn't have all the top Germans available to them?

Not following the logic behind the bolded. It appears that you're saying that because the Germans had to put 2 teams out there for ~45 years, the successes of the bifurcated team are somehow diminished. Wouldn't WG's success be even more impressive because they didn't have all the top Germans available to them?

Agreed, had they been one country they would have probably fielded a stronger team and would have formed the Bundesliga earlier which would also have lead them to having a stronger team and perhaps a couple of more trophies.

Agreed, had they been one country they would have probably fielded a stronger team and would have formed the Bundesliga earlier which would also have lead them to having a stronger team and perhaps a couple of more trophies.

Thank god for Stalin!

amirite!?!?