World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

How about just suspending that silly offsides rule in extra time? That offsides rule is the biggest impediment to futbol being exciting to watch.

And drop one defender on each team after 90 minutes.

Edited by wjag

How about just suspending that silly offsides rule in extra time? That offsides rule is the biggest impediment to futbol being exciting to watch.

Lets just have archers take out guys, lol

Just be glad they aren't able to pass back on their own goalie, with the goalie allowed to just pick up the ball with his hands :P

You might be on to something.....maybe get rid of the offsides rule, but have an American Gladiators style Tennis Ball Gun mounted to the top of the goal with 20 balls to use the entire game.

This is fine, except add targets to each upper corner of the goal which, when hit with a shot, send the tennis ball gun (and operator) flying into the stands.

The offsides rule actually encourages attacking play, because it allows all 10 outfield players to move forward to more effective attacking roles, closer to the opponents goal, without having to worry about what's behind them. The offsides rule allows the defenders to get closer to the opponents goal, where they can make shorter, more effective passes in order to get into the offensive play.

In American Football, there is a line of scrimmage that the offense must line up behind. The offense can not cross the line of scrimmage until the ball is snapped. In Soccer the line of scrimmage coincides with the last defender. The offense cannot cross the last defender until the ball is passed.

If there were no line of scrimmage, the game would resemble a repetitive series of footraces. One goalie would kick the ball as far as he or she could to the other end of the field, where all of the other players would be waiting to intercept, or receive the pass. It would be a never ending series of Hail Mary's. The problem I see, is that a Hail Mary is easier to defend than it is to catch. It is difficult to possess a 60 yard pass with one's foot, or head, or chest. I could catch a 60 yard pass with my hands, but I would have difficulty controlling a 60 yard pass with any other part of my body, without giving a defender an opportunity to smash the ball back down the field, which we would all run after, as fast as we can, until it seems silly, and we quit the game after 10 minutes, let alone 120 minutes.

The offsides rule, in Soccer, allows all 10 outfield players to distribute the running, and the passing sustainably over 90+ minutes. The rules of soccer, in my opinion, hold up well in comparison to other team sports.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

France - Germany

my prediction, france will play a hard game, trying to outmuscle germany, and it will work, i can see alot of cards being thrown around in this one.

If france can avoid the red card, they will win. The slow german defense might take one before them though.

Colombia - Brazil

Brazil will end their tournament today, with sloppy play. Colombia will outclass them in every way.

The offsides rule actually encourages attacking play, because it allows all 10 outfield players to move forward to more effective attacking roles, closer to the opponents goal, without having to worry about what's behind them. The offsides rule allows the defenders to get closer to the opponents goal, where they can make shorter, more effective passes in order to get into the offensive play.

Interesting, well argued.

It also keeps all the players bunched together, including the defenders. I'm not suggesting doing it for the whole game, just the overage. Maybe suspend it everywhere but the box.

Having to worry about what's behind you just might open up some more field. My issue with futbol is all the players play in the same area at the same time negating the advatanges of the enormous field. Streching things out a bit when players are clearly tired, may open up the scoring opportunities in overage.

Putting a goalie at an enormous disdvantage in PKs seems remarkably unsporting. If you insist on PKs as the way to settle things, at least move the ball further back. It would be more exciting if the goalie had more than a lucky guess chance in stopping a PK.

Edited by wjag

France - Germany

my prediction, france will play a hard game, trying to outmuscle germany, and it will work, i can see alot of cards being thrown around in this one.

If france can avoid the red card, they will win. The slow german defense might take one before them though.

The slow German defence can be fixed……….Durm at LB who is very fast………Take out Mertesacker and put Hummels and Boatang in the Middle and slot Lahm back at RB………I would be very happy to see that line up on defence

I basically stopped watching, tbh im hoping for a Colombia - Belgium final.

Might not win, but atleast it will be exciting to watch. Already getting nervous though, not so much for messi, but for di maria.

Edited by Heimdall

Guest Sloth

Neymar out with a broken vertebrae..

Saw the play live. At first I thought he was exaggerating, but as he was taken off the field you could see the pain on his face. Strong chance Neymar will be away from soccer for a period of time. He was having a great World Cup.

Well strongest teams on that bracket are out, colombia and france. Good for us if we make the final :P

And brazil lost Their best player, you know would be awesome to beat them in final seeing they said we'd only be around for a week and fly home :D

Im getting to nervous still 12hrs still game, better get some sleep after my nigthshift :D

Edited by Heimdall

Sorry Heimdall..

Belgium played like the US today.

The incredible stat I saw at one point during the Belgium vs Argentina game today was in the US-Beligium, Beligium outshot US 26 to 3. 26 ... insanity.

I still want the Netherlands to win it all, Idk why and have no ties at all to the team, nor do I follow soccer all too closely.... But from what I've seen of the world cup so far they seem like the strongest offensive team.

Also what the hell constitutes a yellow card vs no card..... I don't know the exact wording but it seems very very inconsistent.... Makes the NHL look good.

France - Germany

Colombia - Brazil

Brazil will end their tournament today, with sloppy play. Colombia will outclass them in every way.

Stick to hockey predictions. :D

I was surprised that Belgium couldn't generate more offense against Argentina. Belgium has the talent, but they lack the creativity in the offensive third that separates the good sides from the great sides. Young team. Belgium should be even stronger in 4 years.