World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

I'll have a look at that political thread, would have sooner, but didn't want to step on to many toes.

Alot of bad things can be said about my country to, and i know what they are, doesn't mean i like a foreigner to tell me those :P

Jump in. Believe me, the outsider's view can only help us.

I'll have a look at that political thread, would have sooner, but didn't want to step on to many toes.

Alot of bad things can be said about my country to, and i know what they are, doesn't mean i like a foreigner to tell me those :P

That's OK, being Americans most of us know nothing about your country. Other than Beer and Mussels.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to soccer, but in watching that game yesterday, it reminded me of watching the Olympic hockey tournament in February in this respect: I think the big playing surface favors the defense over the offense. When there is so much space on the field/ice, and the defenders and coaching are so good, it takes a ton of offensive effort and skill just to get the ball/puck into the offensive zone. So a lot of the game, in both cases, takes place in the neutral zone and there are long stretches where there is zero offensive threat.

Separately, I read a bit last night about the 1986 World Cup final, which was also Argentina vs Germany. That game was 2-0 Argentina until there were 16 min left in the 2nd half. Then, Germany scored twice in about 6 minutes to tie it -- and then Argentina scored the GWG with about a minute to go in regulation. That must've been a thriller.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to soccer, but in watching that game yesterday, it reminded me of watching the Olympic hockey tournament in February in this respect: I think the big playing surface favors the defense over the offense. When there is so much space on the field/ice, and the defenders and coaching are so good, it takes a ton of offensive effort and skill just to get the ball/puck into the offensive zone. So a lot of the game, in both cases, takes place in the neutral zone and there are long stretches where there is zero offensive threat.

Separately, I read a bit last night about the 1986 World Cup final, which was also Argentina vs Germany. That game was 2-0 Argentina until there were 16 min left in the 2nd half. Then, Germany scored twice in about 6 minutes to tie it -- and then Argentina scored the GWG with about a minute to go in regulation. That must've been a thriller.

The matches get a *lot* better when both teams aren't content to sit back and hope they don't get scored on.

Wasn't that the "Hand of God" game?

Can't really support Argentina, they took the fun out of every game during the world cup while having one of the premier offensive line ups.

Just hope Germany destroys them like they did with Brazil.

Very much agreed.

I feel like every time a player fakes an injury, the jumbotron should be forced to show Richard Zednik attempting to skate off on his own after having his throat slit.

I love soccer and the world cup, but I feel this would be a productive shaming.

I feel like every time a player fakes an injury, the jumbotron should be forced to show Richard Zednik attempting to skate off on his own after having his throat slit.

I really hope people don't need to see any throat sliced moments again.

Can't really support Argentina, they took the fun out of every game during the world cup while having one of the premier offensive line ups.

Just hope Germany destroys them like they did with Brazil.

I agree

Guest Sloth

I remember watching that game. Talk about an immediate buzz kill.

I expected N. Korea to easily dispatch of Japan .I felt that N. Korea got lucky vs. the US, despite the 4-0 scoreline. Word has it, though, that the N. Korea players all got drunk and stoned (crunk) after the first two goals vs. China. They may still be suffering the hangover. No way will N. Korea beat a Cristiano Ronaldo inspired Portugal. I expect Portugal to win this match, 1-0.

Brazil have won it 5 times That's a WC best. Germany have appeared in the semi-finals 13 times. That's a WC best.

Germany have won it 3 times. Brazil have only 11 SF appearances.

If Germany win a 4th time, this year, does that make them the unofficial kings of the soccer world? I think so.