Semifinals Thread

Eleven

Only problem with your thinking is that the NHL actually calls this round "Conference Finals" and awards Conference Championship Trophies to the winners in this round.

The NHL is anything but new age.

The trophies have been around for a long time, but the newspeak "conference finals" hasn't.

It's the semifinals.

The trophies have been around for a long time, but the newspeak "conference finals" hasn't.

It's the semifinals.

In the end it's semantics. Just pointing out the facts of what the NHL calls this round. Third round, Semifinals, or Conference Finals.....No big deal either way.

Next Round is the Fourth Round. :lol:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Only problem with your thinking is that the NHL actually calls this round "Conference Finals" and awards Conference Championship Trophies to the

winners in this round.

The NHL is anything but new age.

I think you just proved my point -- i.e. awarding trophies to teams that haven't won a tournament is the literal embodiment of the "let's give everyone a trophy" philosophy.

Having said that, I agree that who gives a crap.

I think you just proved my point -- i.e. awarding trophies to teams that haven't won a tournament is the literal embodiment of the "let's give everyone a trophy" philosophy.

Literally it's an exaggeration because they would award a trophy to every team that makes the playoffs if the point you're trying to make were true. That's hardly the case.

However, I do get your point and I don't like the awarding of trophies on the youth sports level just for participation. It's one of the reasons IMO why younger people often feel so entitled in the absence of any real accomplishment.

As much as I hate "let's give everyone a trophy", I don't think that's what this is. Does anyone have a problem with 2nd place (i.e. conference) trophies -- or, for that matter, the existence of silver and bronze medals? They still recognize achievement. "Let's give everyone..." just recognizes participation, which is annoying.

It won't be the same for everyone, but I do think there's some value in knowing how it feels to fail.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The most successful people have failed many times in their life, and have thus learned what it takes to succeed from their experiences. Failure is real, and we are doing our kids a disservice by not exposing them to that reality at an early age Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

As much as I hate "let's give everyone a trophy", I don't think that's what this is. Does anyone have a problem with 2nd place (i.e. conference) trophies -- or, for that matter, the existence of silver and bronze medals? They still recognize achievement. "Let's give everyone..." just recognizes participation, which is annoying.

You hit the nail on the head. This isn't even kind of a "let's give everyone a trophy" philosophy in play.

In the end it's semantics. Just pointing out the facts of what the NHL calls this round. Third round, Semifinals, or Conference Finals.....No big deal either way.

Next Round is the Fourth Round. :lol:

It is eleven's thread and he is gonna call it whatever he wants to ;)

But they have. The two conferences do not play each other in the playoffs (and barely do during the regular season) until the SC finals. Instead, each conference has a three-round (conference quarterfinals, semifinals and finals) tournament to figure out who the best team in that conference is, and then they play each other in the SC finals to determine who the best team in the NHL is. In this way, it's like the WHL, OHL and QMJHL, each having its own tournaments to figure out who the best team is in the individual league, and then each one gets a berth to determine who the best team in the CHL is. Likewise, collegiate conferences have tournaments to determine who their best teams are, and then those teams go on to play in a tournament to figure out who the best NCAA team is.

In the NHL one teams gets two awards (SC and conference trophy), one gets one (the other conference trophy), and the rest get nothing.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The most successful people have failed many times in their life, and have thus learned what it takes to succeed from their experiences. Failure is real, and we are doing our kids a disservice by not exposing them to that reality at an early age

Any kid that gets a participation award and thinks he won something, well, probably isn't going to succeed later anyway.

This thread I kind of going off the rails, but I'll join in. I don't think participation awards are bad, at all. Telling a ten year old that they've failed and aren't good enough is ridiculous. They haven't even gotten to the point of competitive thinking yet, somehow, they're already failing at life. It's important to remind these kids that they're on the right track and trying. But we can sit here and claim that the old way of parenting and doing things is perfect while also complaining about the way the world has ended up. The two don't go together...

This thread I kind of going off the rails, but I'll join in. I don't think participation awards are bad, at all. Telling a ten year old that they've failed and aren't good enough is ridiculous. They haven't even gotten to the point of competitive thinking yet, somehow, they're already failing at life. It's important to remind these kids that they're on the right track and trying. But we can sit here and claim that the old way of parenting and doing things is perfect while also complaining about the way the world has ended up. The two don't go together...

Not getting a trophy = failing at life? Talk about hyperbole. And no competitive thinking at 10? I always wanted to beat my friends at Tecmo Super Bowl, and I was like 6 when it was out.

I played rec league soccer from ages 5-8. Everyone got trophies, but I thought of them as tokens to remember the season by rather than awards. When I started playing travel soccer at 8 and beyond, I think I cared even less about trophies when we did earn them. Okay, I just looked at my trophy shelf, still have 3 of the travel soccer ones. The reason I cared "even less about trophies" is probably because they're all for second place finishes in tournaments :lol:

And a 3rd place chess trophy towers over them all!

Edited by qwksndmonster

Not getting a trophy = failing at life? Talk about hyperbole. And no competitive thinking at 10? I always wanted to beat my friends at Tecmo Super Bowl, and I was like 6 when it was out.

Video games =/= life.

Kids today are softer than ever no matter how you look at it.

And it's all their fault they're that way? Or is it the generation that is pointing the finger while parenting them to be that way? It's hilarious how much the entitled generation sits around and complains about today's youth when they're the ones that parented today's youth...

And it's all their fault they're that way? Or is it the generation that is pointing the finger while parenting them to be that way? It's hilarious how much the entitled generation sits around and complains about today's youth when they're the ones that parented today's youth...

I didn't say that, did I?

Except for all the ones who aren't. So whatever.

You said 'all', I didn't. So whatever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.