Sabres Fan Schadenfreude

IKnowPhysics

This is the crux of my point. The Sabres are the worst team in the league by miles after bringing in the Supposed A1 most awesome owner who had unlimited cash and was the biggest fan. People took a lot of crap for saying Pegula was a giant red flag and this thing was going to keep going to the toilet. It wasn't a simple, "they won't win the cup".

I won't speak for others, but when I see something good about the Sabres, I will say it. If you look at the draft/Girgensons thread a couple years ago...I was probably the biggest Gus trumpeter here. Optimists were actually saying to cool my jets. I said the kid was a can't miss and would be wearing a letter in no time. I also gave credit for drafting Grigorenko because at least they took some risk, and already had a guy who was going to have a high basement in Girgensons, so why not?

As far as I'm concerned...I'm not always right...not by a longshot. I'll eat crow. I thought the Bills were going to figure it out with Gailey/Nix and was maybe their biggest supporter. When they got fired after 3 years...I wish they had more time, but I understood they had to go.

I just HATE when quality posters get lambasted for "negative" views on the Sabres, even after establishing correct track records over the years. Heck, even I was thanking them and thought they had it figured out when Lafontaine came in. But I also warned that I could see the dangerous scenario of him leaving in short order if Battista became more than an observer and he really didn't get final say. It's a constant taking shape, but I will at least lay out the process of different scenarios playing out. I'd love to sit back and say I'm confident the Sabres are on a great track and will be good for a long time. I can't say it won't happen, but the hurdles they need to overcome with where they are and who is on board....when my concerns get confirmed time and time again....I'd be a fool to say they are in great shape. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Pegula is the most understood genius with an 170 IQ of all time. Unfortunately, I see what I see.

I was only around since the end of 2006. I actually was all-in thinking they had a real shot. I don't know what was happening here before then. I turned sour on them early in '06-'07 when it was evident they were lacking talented grit and talking a big game. PA would regularly tell me to stuff it then, so I know he wasn't knocking the Sabres on a regular basis.

I see this as a problem.

If you don't pay attention to who posts what...and the board is about discussing, critiquing and enjoying an entity that has many parts which need to be evaluated to determine past/present/future performance....then how can you even honestly critique a player, coach, etc.? If you say Matt Ellis is an All Star coming into the league and keep saying it.....you HAVE to take notice. Just like you HAVE to take notice that Matt Ellis isn't an all star by just watching him on the ice for any stretch of games.

It's probably not an issue for those who usually have been neutral-supportive of the team all along. Unless I see someone conspicuously throwing grandiose praise towards something or someone that doesn't deserve it....I just let it go as someone's opinion. When it is the other way though....over the years I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. It hasn't been bad the past few years because the fanbase has come to acceptance that this is a bad team.

Sorry. I can't apologize. I'm not keeping track of who is right, who is wrong, or especially who is nasty (life is too short isn't it?), or whatever track records. I really see every season as a new chapter, a new animal. That's not to say I don't enjoy reading peoples opinions (however bazaar sometimes). I do however pay attention to what you've just written. Besides that, any groupings you've created mean nothing to me either.

(BTW. I couldn't begin to tell you what Team Stormcloud means, is, believes, or who they are. I just ignore it. It's just not how I'm wired.

I'm not really interested in personal track records here, or groupings. Again, I just don't care. I don't care who is aligned with who. It bores me. I'd rather see what you've just written and whether it resonates based on my own observations, if I can learn something I didn't know - that's more fun. )

What I do enjoy is some companionship on the journey that every hockey season brings. That's it.

Some people are better companions than others. If it isn't fun - I'm out. But honestly, I'm not keeping score and I'm not really trying to score points.

And although it is nice to be well-regarded, I think the nice thing about an anonymous message board is that the messages

are independent of whoever you are off-line. I like that nobody has any special status here. Including me. I like what I like.

It's a valid point in my opinion. It's a psychological phenomenon. It's not the only reason...but it's valid.

Maybe it's an effect of getting older....but I just worry about what I can control and my nesting area. The refs can have a bad game' date=' you can get a bad luck injury, so and so can take physical liberties with you....but 95% of the outcome, you control.

[/quote']

I actually think the "you hate him because he's not yours" has some validity, but when it gets connected to the relative goodness of each team, that's where you lose me big time. I'd actually hate Lucic/Marchand WAY more if the Sabres were great and the Bruins sucked.

On your second point, are we talking about team success? Over the long run (several seasons or more) I think the quality decision makers will absolutely have some measure or success, and the "best" will in fact be the best. But if we're talking one playoffs, or even one full season, I think luck matters far more than 5% of the outcome, and in many cases may be more important than talent or good coaching. For example, if you knew in advance you could have some random goaltender put up 965 sv% for a playoff year but would fall off and be average for his career, would you take him or Lundqvist who will give you 922 like clockwork? Long term everyone takes Lundqvist, but the fact is random-ass backup can easily take out Lundqvist's team in a series based on nothing other than being lucky at the right time. In the very near term I take luck every time.

Not sure how to look at this?

Are you saying that by overpaying for grit, the acquiring team didn't have success and the Nords made the smart move?

Or are you saying that it is stupid to label guys as Generational Talents because often they don't live up to their expectations?

Wow man, you are way overthinking it...

I thought it was awesome the team he blew off won the Cup not long after being blown off. I thought it was even more awesome that Lindros left the game without ever winning it, and I really like that the Flyers haven't won it since.

And I also thought that pretty much every hockey fan who is not a Flyers fan felt the same way. Ya' know, all schaudenfreudey and stuff.

Edited by Campy

Taylor Pyatt does have dreamy eyes

I'll never forget how smitten Josh Mora was when he interviewed Taylor. Oh, it was metrosexual heaven.

I love whenever Carolina loses.

Well, yeah, we had a huge rivalry with the Whalers. They played in a mall, and all. I mean, it has nothing to do with the Canes stealing that Cup out from under us. It's on Wikipedia!

I'll never forget how smitten Josh Mora was when he interviewed Taylor. Oh, it was metrosexual heaven.

Well, yeah, we had a huge rivalry with the Whalers. They played in a mall, and all. I mean, it has nothing to do with the Canes stealing that Cup out from under us. It's on Wikipedia!

Well, if you were to ask a Whalers fan if the Sabres and Whale had a rivalry, they'd say yes. (Boston 1, Montreal 2, Sabres & Rangers 3-4.) It was a very 1 sided rivalry to the fanbases, but the games were good.

I was very sad to see them pack up and head to Nascarland.

Well, if you were to ask a Whalers fan if the Sabres and Whale had a rivalry, they'd say yes. (Boston 1, Montreal 2, Sabres & Rangers 3-4.) It was a very 1 sided rivalry to the fanbases, but the games were good.

I was very sad to see them pack up and head to Nascarland.

It seemed to me that a disproportionate number of weekend home games were against Hartford.

Never hated the Whale - Quenneville, Francis, Verbeek, Dineen - all smart players on teams with little depth.

It seemed to me that a disproportionate number of weekend home games were against Hartford.

Never hated the Whale - Quenneville, Francis, Verbeek, Dineen - all smart players on teams with little depth.

True,

It did seem that we allllllllways played them on Friday night in October to an announcec crowd of 12,372. Those empty seats saw some good shows.

I work with a guy who grew up rooting for the whalers. He's the only legit canes fan I know.

It may be different because he ended up in the same city as the team, but the second the Bills and/or Sabres leave Buffalo, they're dead to me.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I work with a guy who grew up rooting for the whalers. He's the only legit canes fan I know.

My brother is a Canes fan, and my former stepbrother is as well. One because he lived there while he started getting into sports and the other because he was born there.

I'm just saying....it's good to remember which of the girls tried to steal your wallet when you were in the shower.....

Fair enough.

Given what I've learned of your posting style over the years, I was expecting a much different shower joke there.

IIRC, didn't Sox fans break out the "Yankees suck" chant during their friggin' victory parade too?

During their Superbowl Victory Parade. In February.

Beat me too it, damn. That was in 2002, I assume the other years too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.