Vanek already planning to play for the Wild?

PromoTheRobot

I think Vanek is a better fit with Montreal. I don't see the Wild as being a team that can challenge the "elite" teams out West with or without Vanek. As X likes to point out, the Wild are built from the outside in. Plus the Wild don't play the same physical style as many of the other Western conference teams they'll need to go through. That, and signing ex-Sabres doesn't seem like the best route to success. :D

I think Vanek is a better fit with Montreal. I don't see the Wild as being a team that can challenge the "elite" teams out West with or without Vanek. As X likes to point out, the Wild are built from the outside in. Plus the Wild don't play the same physical style as many of the other Western conference teams they'll need to go through. That, and signing ex-Sabres doesn't seem like the best route to success. :D

There were initial articles out of Montreal that Vanek was being asked to play more of a 3rd line/shutdown role based on his linemates when he was first traded. Not sure if that has changed but I don't know if he was too happy with that situation when he first joined the team.

There were initial articles out of Montreal that Vanek was being asked to play more of a 3rd line/shutdown role based on his linemates when he was first traded. Not sure if that has changed but I don't know if he was too happy with that situation when he first joined the team.

Seems like Vanek is never happy with the situation. Not the most "team firm" guy it seems.

Minny's a funny team, as I think about it. As someone else noted above, they're largely built from the outside in.

And they decided to build that way primarily with Parise and Suter. Two terrific players, sure - but Parise's a winger, who, like Vanek, plays the left side.

I guess Heatley also plays the left side, and it's forecast that Vanek would slot in for Heatley.

Anyhoo. They're a western team, so I follow their fortunes not a lot. Looking at their captain Koivu's stats - that's a fine career he's put together as a top-6 forward/center.

Is Granlund their answer as the other top center? Man, that kid looks sorta smallish for the task. Bigger than Ennis, though.

Agreed.

He's getting top line minutes with Pacioretty and Desharnais. And plenty of Habs fans over at HF are crediting him with transforming their offense and being the catalyst for their late-season success.

Seems like Vanek is never happy with the situation. Not the most "team firm" guy it seems.

Sigh. http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/04/30-thoughts-players-cant-be-boss-of-nhl-teams.html

Pacioretty said Vanek is making him re-think how he plays the game. "One thing that really sticks out is he said to never have your stick on the ice in front of the net, because the d-man can tie it up. He's always hanging around with his stick in the air, and instead of putting it on the ice and waiting for a tip, he kind of slaps at it when the puck comes...You get more speed on it."

Helping teammates, what a me-first player that Vanek is.

Agreed.

He's getting top line minutes with Pacioretty and Desharnais. And plenty of Habs fans over at HF are crediting him with transforming their offense and being the catalyst for their late-season success.

Sigh. http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/04/30-thoughts-players-cant-be-boss-of-nhl-teams.html

[/font][/color]

Helping teammates, what a me-first player that Vanek is.

Thanks TrueBlue. The article I was mentioning was from the Toronto Star when he was first traded. Things could have certainly changed since then and I can't say I watch a lot of Habs hockey.

Thanks TrueBlue. The article I was mentioning was from the Toronto Star when he was first traded. Things could have certainly changed since then and I can't say I watch a lot of Habs hockey.

Can't say I watch a lot of Habs hockey either :lol:

Just relying on others' observations, it seems to me they eased him into the lineup to give him at least a handful of games to acclimate to the system and whatnot.

That article has to do with his playing style and is irrelevant to Vanek not being happy in Buffalo or on the Island. He signed an offer sheet with Edmonton back in the day, which the Sabres matched forcing him to stay in Buffalo. But, he clearly would have bolted to Edmonton if given the chance. He made it clear that he wanted out of Buffalo earlier this season, so Darcy reluctantly traded him. Same scenario when the Isles offered him huge money to resign - he wanted out. And, it'll likely play out the same way in Montreal, which is a far better team than either of his first two stops. Vanek is a free agent in the truest sense.

That article has to do with his playing style and is irrelevant to Vanek not being happy in Buffalo or on the Island. He signed an offer sheet with Edmonton back in the day, which the Sabres matched forcing him to stay in Buffalo. But, he clearly would have bolted to Edmonton if given the chance. He made it clear that he wanted out of Buffalo earlier this season, so Darcy reluctantly traded him. Same scenario when the Isles offered him huge money to resign - he wanted out. And, it'll likely play out the same way in Montreal, which is a far better team than either of his first two stops. Vanek is a free agent in the truest sense.

So, he's sort of like your one true love, Shea Weber? ;)

Every player is a "me first" player when it comes to contracts. There is not a single, solitary player who would turn down a $49MM offer sheet coming off of their ELC. We can blame Regier, Quinn, and Golisano all we want, but the bottom line is Drury and Briere, whose departure basically everyone admits left a huge leadership void, bolted for dollar signs. Could go on and on and on. Regarding switching teams, how many star players want to spend what's left of their prime on teams that don't care about winning (the Isles) or are deliberately trying to be bad for the next three years (the Sabres)?

That article has to do with his playing style and is irrelevant to Vanek not being happy in Buffalo or on the Island. He signed an offer sheet with Edmonton back in the day, which the Sabres matched forcing him to stay in Buffalo. But, he clearly would have bolted to Edmonton if given the chance.

He was offered a deal that was probably worth more than double what Buffalo was offering. It had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to leave Buffalo. He'd have to be an idiot not to sign that offer sheet. If he really wanted out of Buffalo at that point, his best move would have been to sign short contracts.

So, he's sort of like your one true love, Shea Weber? ;)

Every player is a "me first" player when it comes to contracts. There is not a single, solitary player who would turn down a $49MM offer sheet coming off of their ELC. We can blame Regier, Quinn, and Golisano all we want, but the bottom line is Drury and Briere, whose departure basically everyone admits left a huge leadership void, bolted for dollar signs. Could go on and on and on. Regarding switching teams, how many star players want to spend what's left of their prime on teams that don't care about winning (the Isles) or are deliberately trying to be bad for the next three years (the Sabres)?

I'm not saying he is wrong and he has certainly earned the right to do what he wants as per the CBA. But, he was (presumably) offered max money at two different places and turned down both. And, I assume the Habs will offer him a monster contract and he'll turn that down. So adjectives like "loyal" and "team first" don't come to mind in describing Vanek. Probably most players are like Vanek, but not all... a guy like Shane Doan comes to mind.

As an RFA, Shea wasn't going to get a big offer last year from conservative David Poille. His only way to get max money was the offer sheet. He knew there was a high probability it'd be matched and he'd be spending the rest of his career in Nashville. But, he was certainly ready to bolt too. I happen to know Weber wasn't a big fan of the recently fired Barry Trotz.

He was offered a deal that was probably worth more than double what Buffalo was offering. It had absolutely nothing to do with wanting to leave Buffalo. He'd have to be an idiot not to sign that offer sheet. If he really wanted out of Buffalo at that point, his best move would have been to sign short contracts.

Fair point.

I'm not saying he is wrong and he has certainly earned the right to do what he wants as per the CBA. But, he was (presumably) offered max money at two different places and turned down both. And, I assume the Habs will offer him a monster contract and he'll turn that down. So adjectives like "loyal" and "team first" don't come to mind in describing Vanek. Probably most players are like Vanek, but not all... a guy like Shane Doan comes to mind.

As an RFA, Shea wasn't going to get a big offer last year from conservative David Poille. His only way to get max money was the offer sheet. He knew there was a high probability it'd be matched and he'd be spending the rest of his career in Nashville. But, he was certainly ready to bolt too. I happen to know Weber wasn't a big fan of the recently fired Barry Trotz.

Fair point.

I guess I don't understand why you'd have that tame of an interpretation for Weber, but not for Vanek. Do you honestly believe Vanek got a 7 year, $49MM offer from the Sabres? Under Golisano/Quinn? It's basically the exact same situation.

I guess I don't understand why you'd have that tame of an interpretation for Weber, but not for Vanek. Do you honestly believe Vanek got a 7 year, $49MM offer from the Sabres? Under Golisano/Quinn? It's basically the exact same situation.

I guess we'll have to wait until he approaches the end of his contract to see if he really wants to leave. Of course, by then he'll be playing on the moon with the Bills.

Not really -- Vanek was the 1st big offer sheet move under the then-new CBA. More importantly, younger players weren't getting huge contracts at that point. By the time Weber signed his offer sheet, quite a few RFAs had gotten big deals, and there had been a number of signed offer sheets.

Having said that, I think you're right that both Vanek and Weber signed their offer sheets because they knew it was the only way to guarantee themselves the huge money, and both were OK with the possibility that their then-current teams would match.

Not really -- Vanek was the 1st big offer sheet move under the then-new CBA. More importantly, younger players weren't getting huge contracts at that point. By the time Weber signed his offer sheet, quite a few RFAs had gotten big deals, and there had been a number of signed offer sheets.

In the 5 years between the Vanek and Weber offer sheet signings, only four other players signed one. Two were directly tied to another offer sheet signing: Edmonton turning around and going after Penner, and St. Louis' offer to Bernier as a direct retaliation for Vancouver's offer to Backes. Those offer sheets were not as common as you'd think.

As Blue stated, the Vanek and Weber situations were about as similar as you'll ever see.

Weber's was for 14 years (signed at age 26) whereas Vanek's was only for 7 (signed at age 23). So Shea signing the offer sheet more-or-less meant knowing he would be staying with one team for the rest of his career. If he wanted out of Nashville he would have been a UFA the following off-season. He could have played out his final year then bolted. Signing the sheet put him in Nashville for the rest of his career (barring any trades down the road) - the Preds had always said they'd match any offer sheet. Vanek was able to sign the sheet, get paid, then bail out of Buffalo with 1/2 his career left. I see the two scenarios as quite different.

Edited by Potato

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.