If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

I keep hearing this, out of curiosity do you or anyone know of the names that are projected at that range in the 2015 draft?

Well roughly something like:

Colin White, Dylan Strome, Travis Konecny hard to say this early on. Should have a better picture in November and December.

I keep hearing this, out of curiosity do you or anyone know of the names that are projected at that range in the 2015 draft?

2015 features McDavid, Eichel, Pavel Zacha, Noah Hanifin, Matthew Barzal, Colin White, Oliver Kylington, Dylan Strome (Ryan's better brother), Travis Konecny and Dylan Sprong. I think all of those players would be selected ahead of whoever is taken at 5/6 this year barring a rough season or injury next year. There's ten names there so you're bound to get one if the Isles give us their 8-10 pick.

Also, if you're at 8-10 you could use some of the ammo built up to move to 4-7 and get an even better prospect. Any of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Barzal or Zacha would likely be the first pick this year. Zacha is a winger so that would be the only knock there.

Edited by Tankalicious

Well, If Garth Snow is the GM next season, the Islanders would be smart to give up this years pick, if they smarten up and dump Snow ASAP, then defering the pick to next year is smart cause that team with a couple of tweaks is atleast a bubble playoff team. With a good GM, and getting a solid player in possibly the top 5 this year to go with a returning Tavares, then making an upgrade in net they are a good team. I doubt that happens with Snow in charge so giving up this years high pick will save him from giving up one of the top picks next year. (Although with Snow/Islanders luck, they probably give up this years pick and end up making the playoffs (getting swept in the first round) and see Tavares leave them

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!" We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

I'm not as confident as you are but I think you're right.

Separately, here's another item for the very thick "missed opportunities for the Sabres" file: If the Sabres had beaten the Islanders yesterday in regulation, the Islanders would've been in the #4 slot -- either making them more likely to keep the pick, or giving the Sabres a good shot at drafting #1 and #4 instead of #1 and #5.

It's hard to blame Darcy for that one but I will anyway.

Also: Another item to consider in evaluating how bad the Islanders are going to be next year is that it is going to be their last year on LI. The building is going to be empty, apathetic and frequently hostile. It's going to be hard not to internalize that negative energy.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Islanders weren't bottom 5 next year.

Garth Snow just announced that Jack Capuano will be back as coach. If Snow is announcing it that means Snow will likely be back, as well. Doesn't look like a whole lot of change will be coming in that department. Desperation time for Snow.

Garth Snow just announced that Jack Capuano will be back as coach. If Snow is announcing it that means Snow will likely be back, as well. Doesn't look like a whole lot of change will be coming in that department. Desperation time for Snow.

I think this is really going to depend on the ownership issue.

I don't think Wang is going to make any big moves, like firing the coach and GM until they are sold to a new owner.

If a new owner is buying Wangs majority share soon, he may feel that they should stay until the new majority owner has a chance to make the move for themselves.

For all we know a move could happen soon and Snow is gone before the draft.

I'm not as confident as you are but I think you're right.

Separately, here's another item for the very thick "missed opportunities for the Sabres" file: If the Sabres had beaten the Islanders yesterday in regulation, the Islanders would've been in the #4 slot -- either making them more likely to keep the pick, or giving the Sabres a good shot at drafting #1 and #4 instead of #1 and #5.

It's hard to blame Darcy for that one but I will anyway.

Also: Another item to consider in evaluating how bad the Islanders are going to be next year is that it is going to be their last year on LI. The building is going to be empty, apathetic and frequently hostile. It's going to be hard not to internalize that negative energy.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Islanders weren't bottom 5 next year.

Hasn't it been this way for a few years now?

I hope they give us their pick this year...

Let's add Bennett and Dal Colle or Draisaitl

We will still be bad and will still have a shot at McDavid.

Draft McDavid in 2015 and sign UFA Patrick Kane...

Hello Stanley Cup 2016 :D :D

I don't see how any GM could give up a top-5 pick under these circumstances. Doing so would be telling the fans that you expect to be just as bad or worse the following year.

Plus the probability of any team, regardless of record, landing McDavid is at best 25% (assuming no team has multiple lottery picks). I think the Isles use the pick this year on Dal Colle or one of the top European prospects.

That's what the Sabres have been telling us for two years now. What was the phrase, something about patience?

I think this is really going to depend on the ownership issue.

I don't think Wang is going to make any big moves, like firing the coach and GM until they are sold to a new owner.

If a new owner is buying Wangs majority share soon, he may feel that they should stay until the new majority owner has a chance to make the move for themselves.

For all we know a move could happen soon and Snow is gone before the draft.

Let's hope that is the plan and they make a decision in July. Talk about a major distraction when they are trying to sign this 'great goaltender'. (The great goaltender part is not directed at you).

If I'm Garth Snow and a #6-14 team wins the lottery, in which case the Islanders drop to #6, I would give the pick to Buffalo.

This would leave Buffalo with #2 and #6.

Otherwise I'm keeping the pick at #5.

Yup, the only way I'd even consider giving up the pick is if it drops to 6th.

2015 is supposed to be a deep draft. We also have the Islanders 2nd round pick in 2015.

They don't want to totally miss out on a good draft. So, unless they win the 2014 draft lottery,

they give us their 2014 #1 (at 5 or 6).

The consensus is that there is a top 3 (Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennet), then Draisaitl, then Dal Colle

lower down. That's why I'm glad that the Islanders won yesterday. At 4, they hold onto the

pick, but at 5 or 6, they pass it to us.

Now if only we could trade up to get Reinhart *and* Ekblad. I don't want Bennet because

when I hear about him, I can't help but think Sam Gagner at best and Gilbert Brule, at worst.

Reinhart sounds more like Monahan or even MacKinnon.

Edited by etiennep99

I wonder what it might take trade-wise to convince the Islanders to let us use the 2014 pick? What kind of player would it take to have them not defer?

Considering Murray's comments about wanting 2015 picks I don't think he'd want to make the move.

With the Sabres owning NYI's 2015 2nd round pick, I'd have to give the 2014 first to the Sabres. I cant miss out on my first two picks of the 2015 draft if I'm the Islanders. I dont have any players that are worth anything to trade for more picks, and the ones that are worth something, I'm not trading. So I've got to give up the pick if I'm the Islanders.

Edited by ubkev

that doesn't change my question any.

Nope. Just thought I'd note it.

Since I'm assuming that it'll be a tough decision it probably wouldn't take a whole lot. Maybe something like a swap of picks in the 2nd round and a prospect like Larsson.

Another question for those who want to defer:

If NY says they won't defer unless we swap picks this year, would you do it? (So we would get their 2015 first in the deferral if we give NY 1/2 for 5/6)

Nope. Just thought I'd note it.

Since I'm assuming that it'll be a tough decision it probably wouldn't take a whole lot. Maybe something like a swap of picks in the 2nd round and a prospect like Larsson.

Another question for those who want to defer:

If NY says they won't defer unless we swap picks this year, would you do it? (So we would get their 2015 first in the deferral if we give NY 1/2 for 5/6)

No way would I like that deal. Basically, as things stand, that is trading away one of the Sams for DalColle or Nylander.

New threads have been flying around here lately, hardly know where to go to continue a discussion from the previous day anymore

Well, since that is a thread about the "NHL Draft," and this is specifically about ONE aspect of the NHL draft...it seems obvious that if you want to talk about the Islanders deferment of their pick, you would come to this thread, rather than sift through 60 pages of other stuff that have nothing to do with this specific subject.

I never understood that here, that is the point of a message board...to open threads on different subjects. Why be so broad and cover 100 different subjects in ONE thread that is 60+ pages, rather than open new threads for different subjects? Makes no sense.

That's why TBD has grown so much since I started following back in high school 14 years ago. And it continues to grow and be great.

A perfect example is that NHL draft thread that is 60 pages long. What if people just want to discuss the Islanders pick, while some others just want to discuss Sam Reinhart vs. Sam Bennett? Or someone else wants to compare goalie prospects? That right there alone is 3 different subjects being discussed in one giant clusterf**k of a thread, that becomes hard to follow.

Just my opinion, which is not worth much...but I am sure there are others who share the same feelings.

Well, since that is a thread about the "NHL Draft," and this is specifically about ONE aspect of the NHL draft...it seems obvious that if you want to talk about the Islanders deferment of their pick, you would come to this thread, rather than sift through 60 pages of other stuff that have nothing to do with this specific subject.

I never understood that here, that is the point of a message board...to open threads on different subjects. Why be so broad and cover 100 different subjects in ONE thread that is 60+ pages, rather than open new threads for different subjects? Makes no sense.

That's why TBD has grown so much since I started following back in high school 14 years ago. And it continues to grow and be great.

A perfect example is that NHL draft thread that is 60 pages long. What if people just want to discuss the Islanders pick, while some others just want to discuss Sam Reinhart vs. Sam Bennett? Or someone else wants to compare goalie prospects? That right there alone is 3 different subjects being discussed in one giant clusterf**k of a thread, that becomes hard to follow.

Just my opinion, which is not worth much...but I am sure there are others who share the same feelings.

I'm not sure what the community aversion to starting new threads is all about recently.

It's a marketplace.....the the more compelling ones will live, the others will slowly fade.