Jake McCabe signs 3 Year ELC with Sabres

26CornerBlitz

@kevinoDandC

An FYI: 2013-14 as Year 1 of McCabe's ELC isn't necessarily what #Sabres wanted. It's often a collegian's contract demand for leaving early.

That is one thing I didn't really think about. The standard is that they have to hit the 10 game mark, but the team and player can agree on using up the first year for a smaller amount of games. That must be what happened here. I don't know how common it is though. I'm trying to look up some of the more recent higher profile guys, but most that come to mind were older and already had shorter termed ELC deals.

Edit: The most recent one I found is Jaden Schwartz with St. Louis. More often than not, it seems like guys who do wind up leaving early wait until the summer to sign their deal.

Edited by shrader

Why do people keep saying Rudy! I don't see him as anything special.

I'm kinda with you. He seems OK, but I'm afraid he's just not big enough to play D if he's not a point-producing machine or bring something else, because I don't think he'll be able to defend against a lot of forwards.

Why do people keep saying Rudy! I don't see him as anything special.

Rudy does a lot of things very well... he's just a little too small for my liking (can get overpowered in the corners and in front of the net). But, he doesn't look out of place at the NHL level to me.

McCabe's contract will not slide. even if he doesn't play a single game. He's already 20, so his contract starts as soon as he signs it.

Might as well play in buffalo if the contract starts now anyway.

If that's the situation then ya, get him in the lineup.

McCabe's contract will not slide. even if he doesn't play a single game. He's already 20, so his contract starts as soon as he signs it.

Might as well play in buffalo if the contract starts now anyway.

The age cutoff where an ELC deal would be only two years is 22. So his age has nothing to do in this case. He and the team had to agree that he would use up the first year by playing.

The age cutoff where an ELC deal would be only two years is 22. So his age has nothing to do in this case. He and the team had to agree that he would use up the first year by playing.

You are correct about the 3 vs 2 year age thing, but that is different than slide.

http://capgeek.com/faq/how-does-an-entry-level-contract-slide

I do not understand why they are doing the same thing with McCabe as they did with Grigorenko...why waste a year of the ELC for a measly 7 games?

Also, why's Buffalo not gone after any college UDFA's? They'd offered immediate playing time for guys like Mark Zengerle...or even guys like Alex Krushelnyski, Dan O'Donaghue, Connor Jones, Sam Warning, Pat Brown, John McInnis, Dan Carr, Andrew Calof or Matt Zay...who would all be like a free/extra draft pick. We missed out on guys like Garrett Thompson (OTT), Chris McCarthy (NYR), Ryan Haggerty (NYR), Bryce Van Brabant (CAL), Kevin Goumas (PHI), Matt Bailey (ANA), Ryan Carpenter (SJ), Matt Carey (CHI), Greg Carey (PHX), Cody Kunyk (TB), Colin Campbell (DET), Mike Zalewski (VAN).

Non-forwards I would have REALLY liked, but we didn't really need are...D - Christian Folin (MIN), D - Kevin Czuczman (NYI), G - Phoenix Copley (WAS).

On a sidenote...I found this from last year, about Brian Flynn...which is quite the write-up, and makes me think like he certainly deserves to stick around.

Brian Flynn, C - Senior, University of Maine

If there’s one undrafted collegian that could potentially become a top scorer at the pro level, it’s Brian Flynn. Since arriving in Orono four years ago, Flynn has been one of Maine’s top point producers. And while the Lynnfield, MA native is an outstanding playmaker; it is his ability to score goals that is among the attributes getting the attention of several NHL teams, including the Philadelphia Flyers. Flynn attended the Flyers’ prospect camp over the summer.

Flynn currently ranks second on the Black Bears roster with 45 points (17 goals, 28 assists) playing in all 33 games to date. His plus-23 leads Maine and is tied for second nationally. Flynn centers the Black Bears’ explosive top line that includes national top scorer Spencer Abbott and junior Joey Diamond. Back on February 17 versus UMass, he became just the 17th player in the program’s history to reach the 150-point career mark. Most recently, Flynn was named a semi-finalist for the annual Walter Brown Award, which recognizes the top American-born collegiate player playing in New England.

At 6’1, 185 lbs, Flynn is the biggest of Maine’s top line players. He has excellent finishing ability and great net presence. Two characteristics that separate Flynn from many other collegiate point producers are his ability to position himself for the best possible scoring opportunities and capitalizing on rebounds. These attributes are especially noticeable is on the Maine power play, where seven of Flynn’s 17 goals have come this season. He has also shown a knack for scoring timely goals as well.

Another of Flynn’s attributes that has NHL scouts taking notice is his terrific stick work. He utilizes his stick-handling skills quite well, both offensively and defensively. As the Black Bears’ top centerman, Flynn also excels in face-offs, winning well over 50 percent of his draws. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks off quickly and smartly.

While Flynn isn’t an overly physical player, he has added some grit to his game. That has made him more effective in battling for pucks and in the defensive end. It’s unlikely that Flynn will ever become a physical force at the pro level, but he certainly has the potential to become a dominant offensive force.

Edited by Bob Malooga

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.