Sabres better off than I thought....

CallawaySabres

We haven't seen next year's team yet. It could be worse. It really could be.

Next year there won't be Miller or Vanek or maybe even Ehrhoff.

Miller and Vanek aren't on the team right now. The annual revolution of the Earth around the Sun, The cap floor, and the loss of pommer, vanek, and miller retained salary practically ensure the team is better in October than it is right now.

Miller and Vanek aren't on the team right now. The annual revolution of the Earth around the Sun, The cap floor, and the loss of pommer, vanek, and miller retained salary practically ensure the team is better in October than it is right now.

Mighty optimistic. At least Miller kept them in games. The goal tending for next year could be really bad.

Miler is not on the team!

I think we are talking past each other. I know he is not on the team. Even the Pope knows he is not on the team. I'm saying he kept games close this year. Next year's goalies look weaker and they may not be in as many close games.

I'd like to think rock bottom was when RR was coach. I'm just not sure we can say that yet without seeing what next year's lineup is.

Edited by wjag

I think we are talking past each other. I know he is not on the team. Even the Pope knows he is not on the team. I'm saying he kept games close this year. Next year's goalies look weaker and they may not be in as many close games.

Ah.

Right now is rock bottom. March-April 2014. The roster will be better in October and going forward than it is right now. 10/13-2/14 was not rock bottom.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Ah.

Right now is rock bottom. March-April 2014. The roster will be better in October and going forward than it is right now. 10/13-2/14 was not rock bottom.

What makes you believe that the roster will be better in October?

The cap floor, the growth of young players, and the loss of around $10million in salary that is producing nothing right now (miller, vanek, pommer retained salary and Leino.)

Hope you're right.

The cap floor, the growth of young players, and the loss of around $10million in salary that is producing nothing right now (miller, vanek, pommer retained salary and Leino.)

Hope you're right.

Important caveat: TPFNALPF said the roster would be better, not the results.

*ducks*

:P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I am not certain at all that the Sabres are better off than any other team. They have alot of potential in the system. Potential just means they haven't done anything yet.

Every team has their own version of "potential in the system." Right now the Sabres are the worst team in hockey. They have very little NHL ready talent at this point. Which is why I also find it difficult to say the Sabres are/will be better off than any other team.

It all comes down to Tim Murray's ability ti max out assets and develop players to their fullest potential. Murray needs to hit home runs over the next couple of drafts. It may sound strange, but just having good drafts won't be good enough. Any hope for a quicker turn around for the franchise rests on Murray's shoulders and his ability max out all these picks.assets over the next two drafts.

Every team has their own version of "potential in the system." Right now the Sabres are the worst team in hockey. They have very little NHL ready talent at this point. Which is why I also find it difficult to say the Sabres are/will be better off than any other team.

It all comes down to Tim Murray's ability ti max out assets and develop players to their fullest potential. Murray needs to hit home runs over the next couple of drafts. It may sound strange, but just having good drafts won't be good enough. Any hope for a quicker turn around for the franchise rests on Murray's shoulders and his ability max out all these picks.assets over the next two drafts.

I agree I think Murray needs to hit some home runs with all these first rounders. And he needs to find some talent in the rest of the draft as well. You look at a team you want to model yourself after. People say Boston but you also have to look at Colorado. They have 3 young talented forwards and that's not even counting O'Reilly. They need to add some defense the next coupe of drafts and you have the makings of a team that's going to be good for awhile !

Are you sure?

Am I sure that this team will not be more exciting and interesting to watch in October? yes. Remember, we are not talking about wins and losses here, we are talking about how this roster, as it stands right now, is mostly filled with guys who would not crack the lineup of another NHL team. At least next year, we will see SOME of the futures while adding the excitement of the upcoming draft.

I don't think it all comes down to future drafting when talking about moving from 25-30th to 13th-18th (ie "in the playoff hunt") in the short term 2-3 seasons.The development of the last four 1st round picks and the maturation of 19, 57, and 63 will have more impact on the short term drive to competativeness. Now, the drive to be a contendah, none of those seven are the difference makers (with the possible exception of Zemgus). The Stanley cup move into positions 1-5th will be dependent on the talent drafted and acquired over the next 2 off seasons.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I agree but disagree. Yes TM's selection choices are going have an immense impact on the time frame. No development as individual players will draw a playoff slot in the next 2 seasons IMHO.

It's all going to come down to on ice roster chemistry. Can these kids mesh well together?

Only time will tell, and that time should reasonably be 3 years or more. Suffering comes at a price.

Girgs

hodgson

Stafford

Ennis

Stewart

Foligno

So we need to add 6 forwards between current players on the big club, Amerks, Draft and FA. There will not be a ton of wins next year but they will sure as hell be a lot more fun to watch.

I'd say by the end of next season at leadt 7, if not 8. Hopefully Staff brings it next year and gets traded for a piece of the future.

Maybe Marcus needs to be traded to reach his full potential. It was the case for his dad and arguably his brother ad well. I hope he gets it here.

I'd say by the end of next season at leadt 7, if not 8. Hopefully Staff brings it next year and gets traded for a piece of the future.

Maybe Marcus needs to be traded to reach his full potential. It was the case for his dad and arguably his brother ad well. I hope he gets it here.

Mike Foligno was doing pretty good in Detroit before his trade. 160 points in 186 games.

That's .86 points per game. He finished with a career average of .71

Mike Foligno was doing pretty good in Detroit before his trade. 160 points in 186 games.

That's .86 points per game. He finished with a career average of .71

Foligno wasn't the key piece of the trade. McCourt was. He (Foligno) was a 2nd liner in Detroit. He moved up in Buffalo.

Mike's scoring tailed off after he was in his 30's; most players tail off then as well. He was named captain for a reason.

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.