GDT: Buffalo at Nashville 3-27-14 at 8:00 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

Ville Leino out for the rest of the night - Upper Body injury. I hope he takes a nice long rest, like maybe 9 or 10 games. :)

hahah, the first time a number should be retired - and not to honor the player. :)

Then we are all in for the Trending Buffalo FB page for that $1000

Here is the original tweet

Craig Custance@CraigCustance 8h

Yup: http://es.pn/1ijnGZ2 [in] RT @MaxHockE @CraigCustance "we’ll be examining teams..." are the sabres on that list?

As each NHL team is eliminated from the 2014 postseason, the focus shifts to 2014-15. Here’s an early look at the Buffalo Sabres’ offseason priorities, projected lineups for next season, free-agent targets, cap space and more.

What happened in 2013-14

Points (as of March 20): 46 (No. 30 in the NHL)

Goals per game: 1.84 (No. 30)

Goals against per game: 2.91 (No. 25)

Power play: 14.1 percent (No. 28)

Penalty kill: 82.1 percent (No. 15)

Corsi for percentage: 45.7 (No. 30)

Expectations this season: In our ESPN.com season preview, I picked the Sabres to finish last in the Atlantic, as did Katie Strang and Pierre LeBrun. Scott Burnside was the optimist -- he had them seventh.

Did they meet them? This was a rebuilding season in Buffalo, and that’s exactly what is happening, although the regime change to general manager Tim Murray and coach Ted Nolan, along with the Pat LaFontaine drama, added an unexpected twist.

Front-office offseason priorities

1. Make the Nolan extension official. Nolan was LaFontaine’s hire. While LaFontaine is no longer with the team, it looks like Nolan is here to stay. TSN’s Bob McKenzie first reported a few days ago that Nolan and the Sabres are finalizing a three-year deal to remove the interim tag and lock up that relationship for the long haul. It’s a good move. Despite their youth and talent deficiency, Nolan has the Sabres playing hard, and guys love playing for him. He’s the right kind of motivator to help guide this group through a challenging rebuild.

2. Bring in the right veterans. The Sabres have a slew of talented young players coming, and the talent pool is only going to be deeper when the draft picks are all cashed in. But as we’ve seen with other teams, surrounding that young talented with the right veterans is a critical part of the rebuilding process.

“I don’t want 20 kids on my team anyways. That’s not competitive,” Murray said when we chatted about the summer plans. “I want a mix. I want to bring kids along at the right speed and develop properly. We’re not going to be the team that’s playing 10 kids at one time.”

3. Buy out Ville Leino. The Sabres don't need the cap space, and if there were any offensive production coming from Leino, you could justify keeping him. His actual salary starts to decline in the 2015-16 season to $3.5 million per season, which isn’t too much money to pay a veteran forward capable of producing offensively. We’re just not convinced he’s capable anymore.

He doesn’t have a goal in 50 games this season and even worse, he’s hardly shooting. He’s averaging just 0.68 shots per game. According to ExtraSkater.com, his Corsi percentage is 45 percent. He’s not being helped by a ridiculously low team-wide shooting percentage when he’s on the ice (3.6 percent), but it’s time to cut bait here, either through a buyout or a trade for a bad contract back.

Projected 2014-15 lineup

Top-six forwards

1. Cody Hodgson

2. Chris Stewart

3. Drew Stafford

4. Tyler Ennis

5. OPEN

6. OPEN

Top-four defensemen

1. Christian Ehrhoff

2. Tyler Myers

3. OPEN

4. OPEN

Goalie

1. Michal Neuvirth

The 2014-15 cap

According to CapGeek.com, the Sabres have 15 players signed for a total of $39.3 million. If the cap remains at the projected $71.1 million, CapGeek projects that the Sabres will have about $33 million in cap space. And that’s before doing anything about Leino. Terry Pegula is an owner who will eventually spend, but Murray said the timing isn’t right yet to push the upper limits of the cap.

“We’re not going to be a cap team. We’re not good enough,” Murray said. “We’ll be a cap team when we’re good enough to be a cap team. That’s our budget.”

That said, it’s not like Murray won’t have the green light to spend if the right situation presents itself.

“I don’t think we’ll be a floor team,” Murray said. “We’ve got flexibility. Our owner has no problem spending to the cap. We’re not ready.”

Three potential Buffalo targets in free agency

[+] Enlargenhl_g_light_200x300.jpg

Mike Carlson/Getty ImagesWestern New York native Ryan Callahan might look good in a Sabres sweater in 2014-15.

1. Ryan Callahan, Tampa Bay Lightning. Callahan has been a nice fit so far for the Lightning, who have expressed interest in making that a long-term relationship. But when you’re talking about putting the right veterans in place to teach young players, there’s nobody better than Callahan. The challenge is convincing him to pass on joining a contender to be part of a rebuilding effort. Lots of money helps that case.

2. Steve Ott, St. Louis Blues. Before trading Ott to the Blues, Murray said he’d be interested in re-signing the veteran this summer even if he was traded. Ott loved playing for Nolan and enjoyed his time in Buffalo. He’s a guy who believed in the plan, and wanted to be a part of it. It makes sense to bring him back for the right price.

3. Matt Moulson, Minnesota Wild. The Wild will have the cap space to keep Moulson if things work out in Minnesota, but there’s also speculation that Thomas Vanek is interested in signing there, which would free Moulson up. He’s another character veteran who plays the right way and would be a positive influence on the young players.

The draft

This is where Murray earns his paycheck. He’s known for his ability to identify young talent, as shown by success stories in Anaheim and Ottawa. Murray’s trade deadline moves were filled with conditions, so you can’t pin down exactly how many picks he’ll have to work with in the 2014 draft.

But if everything plays out perfectly, the Sabres could have as many as three first-rounders this year courtesy of the Ryan Miller and Vanek deals. At the very least, the Sabres are the favorite to land the No. 1 overall pick, where it would be hard to pass on center Sam Reinhart.

Early 2014-15 projection

The Sabres will again finish last -- or close to last -- in the Eastern Conference. The 2015 draft features Connor McDavid, a franchise-altering prospect. There’s no rush in Buffalo to turn things around just yet.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I'm imagining Ville Leino.

How was Risto's goal? I'll watch it once it's on youtube and pretend we won 1-0.

Top of the right face off circle, slap shot. Weber's (Shea not Mike) two goals were identical

Son of a :censored: !!!

Edited by BRAWNDO

And Miller completes the Miller Shut Out

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope I didn't jinx him by being first in to mention the "S" word at the end of the 2nd.

At least the Wild goal was with 8 minutes left on the clock, so it wasn't a real nail-biter. Could have been 8 seconds. ;)

Tonight the Tank stands fully revealed. And it is an ugly Tank!

The Sabres have a legitimate shot at becoming the worst team in the shootout era, and the worst since the Thrashers on 1999-00.

"You guys don't want to earn your ice time? Watch goliath on roller skates take first line minutes over you ###### and see if I give a ######." -Ted Nolan

I think Scott hasn't been that bad over the last 15-20 games. He deserves as much a chance as everybody else. Let him start on the 1st line next game.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.