College Athletes may now Unionize

LastPommerFan

Awesome. Glad to hear we may be taking a step away from colleges taking advantage of their athletes.

And a step toward the elimination of every program other than the money-makers and those necessary to satisfy Title IX.

The NCAA would have been wise to avoid this by treating the students more fairly over the years.

And a step toward the elimination of every program other than the money-makers and those necessary to satisfy Title IX.

The NCAA would have been wise to avoid this by treating the students more fairly over the years.

yes, yes, yes.

They got greedy and it's going to eat them now.

but I don't agree that it will cause an elimination of, say, track. Track athletes just won't get paid as much.

The athletes already get paid in the form of full scholarships to schools many of them wouldn't have a prayer of getting into without athletics. If athletes get paid more everything should just be spun off into minor league sports.

I think that's why they selected NU as the test case.

The athletes already get paid in the form of full scholarships to schools many of them wouldn't have a prayer of getting into without athletics. If athletes get paid more everything should just be spun off into minor league sports.

I agree. Isn't COLLEGE about getting an education? The athletes are getting full and partial scholarships to help them get an education. Free room and board, dining hall access, trips across America are all paid for because they are good at the sport they choose. While I realize they are not getting monetary compensation, the compensation they are getting for their endeavors is more than fair. Enough with this crap.

The problem is that they're all too often steered into sham majors that are solely designed to keep them eligible and upon graduation they have no marketable or employable skills that they can leverage into a sustainable career. The whole "they're getting an education" argument is pure unadulterated BS propagated by the NCAA when the real objective is to profit from these kids' athletic ability with no real concern for them post eligibility.

The problem is that they're all too often steered into sham majors that are solely designed to keep them eligible and upon graduation they have no marketable or employable skills that they can leverage into a sustainable career. The whole "they're getting an education" argument is pure unadulterated BS propagated by the NCAA when the real objective is to profit from these kids' athletic ability with no real concern for them post eligibility.

That issue could be solved rather simply by giving scholarship athletes 6 years of scholarship to play sports for 4 years.

On of my chemistry professors at UB said he had a full ride to Stanford to play football. He recruited, signed, enrolled, went to camp, and was John Elway's roommate for a while. When he tried to take chemistry classes because he wanted to major in that, the athletic department was all like, "you can't take chemistry because football won't give you enough time to be in the lab classes." He immediately transferred to a private liberal arts college. He either played DIII ball or quit playing, don't remember and can't find an old roster. He graduated, got his PhD, and is now a well-respected, well-published, award-winning chemist and patent holder. And a pretty good teacher. And a funny guy.

This is the major issue IMO. It doesn't matter if they get a free ride if their major is underwater basket weaving. One of my colleagues was one of the athletes that got a free ride playing football and didn't go the easy route. He went into I.T. while traveling and playing ball. He knew full well that even though he had a chance at an NFL career that it wasn't a guarantee. He was never drafted/signed but worked out for a few teams. He knew what was in his best interest.

I do agree that the NCAA does take advantage of them but it really does work both ways.

Edited by ROC Sabres

@RobertKlemko

Here's a UNC athlete paper from one of those bogus classes, via @BryanAGraham. This got an A-. Sad stuff.

Bjr6eVVCYAAyS_j.jpg

I feel bad for the person that wrote that and the person that made that public. I'd assume the person that wrote that still has a high paying job. Without a name on the paper though that can be left up to speculation on whether it was a scholarship athlete, only what the teacher said.

Edited by ROC Sabres

That issue could be solved rather simply by giving scholarship athletes 6 years of scholarship to play sports for 4 years.

One of the things they are organizing for is to have their scholarships guaranteed. As it is right now, if they get cut or hurt they can lose their ride. Another thing they are after is durable health coverage for injuries sustained while playing. Currently, they are mostly on their own after they stop playing.

Schools like UB, Canisius, Niagara, etc. are pretty screwed now, too.

Oh well. It will be reviewed for years anyway.

I disagree, Sports will go back to division III style, except those money makers from their own sales or from corporate sponsorship as the athlete in those big time programs will get paid. The rest will be for the pure love of the sport. Others who have talent, but have no business in college, will go to a D league of some sort right out of high school similar to junior hockey or minor league baseball. Those that want an education will actually get one and not be suckered into performing while not having time to actually get an education because they are too busy working for the NCAA.

Read College Sports Inc, by Mo Sperber: who predicted 20+ years ago that the NCAA division 1 would eventually be reduced to 1 or 2 super conferences and the rest the schools would return to something less and more pure, the amateur athlete.

We are just seeing one more step in this inevitable process.

NLRB rules that, in revenue sports, athletes are employees.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

If colleges start paying athletes, It could be a huge incentive to bring top Juniors Players to the NCAA.

I doubt it would bring too many players over. The longer season in junior still serves as a better development period. The one interesting thing though would be when some of the not quite ready junior players jump over to the ncaa once they hit 20.

@RobertKlemko

Here's a UNC athlete paper from one of those bogus classes, via @BryanAGraham. This got an A-. Sad stuff.

Bjr6eVVCYAAyS_j.jpg

I don't think it would be much different from a paper from a freshman, whether an athlete or not, at many colleges, sadly. Or maybe not sadly. Our language has evolved, of course, and maybe it's just going through an evolutionary period again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.