College Free Agents

tom webster

The big dog available is center Greg Carey. Has has put up very impressive numbers in each of his 4 seasons at St Lawrence, but the last 2 he has become an elite scorer. No doubt he will be the most coveted college free agent. The best d-men is 6'3 Finn Ahti Oksanen. He plays for Boston College. He is young, just 20yo, and plays on pairing on BC's defense. Great offensive game and great size.

I don't think we will land either of the 2 big free agents, i do think there are few names to watch out for beyond the top 2.

-Trevor van Riemsdyk - Brother of James, he plays defense and is a high scoring d-men. Plays for New Hampshire, plays a smart defensive game but scores at a high level. Currently is injured so i wonder how that will effect his stock?

-Mark Zengerle - 24yo center plays on Wisconsin. Born in Rochester, plays a hard, in your face game. Has offensive talent but is an elite shutdown center in college ranks. Murray said he wants to bring back local players. Brian Flynn did wonders. He is a similar type player.

-Shayne Taker - big 6'4 d-men for Notre Dame. I heard the Sabres had scouted him in the past few months, i forget where i heard it from, somewhere on radio i think it was mentioned. He reminds scouts of Dan DeKayser who was a college undrafted signing with Detroit who has turned out real well.

The big dog available is center Greg Carey. Has has put up very impressive numbers in each of his 4 seasons at St Lawrence, but the last 2 he has become an elite scorer. No doubt he will be the most coveted college free agent. The best d-men is 6'3 Finn Ahti Oksanen. He plays for Boston College. He is young, just 20yo, and plays on pairing on BC's defense. Great offensive game and great size.

I don't think we will land either of the 2 big free agents, i do think there are few names to watch out for beyond the top 2.

-Trevor van Riemsdyk - Brother of James, he plays defense and is a high scoring d-men. Plays for New Hampshire, plays a smart defensive game but scores at a high level. Currently is injured so i wonder how that will effect his stock?

-Mark Zengerle - 24yo center plays on Wisconsin. Born in Rochester, plays a hard, in your face game. Has offensive talent but is an elite shutdown center in college ranks. Murray said he wants to bring back local players. Brian Flynn did wonders. He is a similar type player.

-Shayne Taker - big 6'4 d-men for Notre Dame. I heard the Sabres had scouted him in the past few months, i forget where i heard it from, somewhere on radio i think it was mentioned. He reminds scouts of Dan DeKayser who was a college undrafted signing with Detroit who has turned out real well.

The Sabres can do what they did with Ruhwedel though -- instead of just offering a contract, they can ALSO offer a guy a chance to play in the NHL *this month*. You figure that would resonate with a guy who is just wrapping up his college career.

Hope we make a run at a couple of these guys. I like what we're getting from Ruhwedel.

Edited by Robviously

Thanks.

The Sabres can do what they did with Ruhwedel though -- instead of just offering a contract, they can ALSO offer a guy a chance to play in the NHL *this month*. You figure that would resonate with a guy who is just wrapping up his college career.

Hope we make a run at a couple of these guys. I like what we're getting from Ruhwedel.

I don't know if I agree. Watching him in person Friday, his play in his own end was very suspect. I want to keep an eye on that tonight.

With all the draft picks we have coming I'm not sure if we will have room to play this market.

Two years from now we might need two farm teams.

It's worth the risk and then dealing with the surplus of players later, if they can land a guy like Brian Flynn for nothing.

It's worth the risk and then dealing with the surplus of players later, if they can land a guy like Brian Flynn for nothing.

With all due respect to Rhuwedel and Flynn, the top college free agents we are hoping to emulate are guys like Torey Krug and Dan Dekeyser

Edited by tom webster

With all due respect to Rhuwedel and Flynn, the top college free agents we are hoping to emulate are guys like Torey Krug and Dsn Dekeyser

I would put Matt Read in that discussion too, just to bring up a smaller school find. He's put up some nice seasons in Philly.

I know nothing about these players other than what has been posted here, but hey, if any of them look like they could eventually be more than just a stop-gap or fringe NHL player, why not take a shot? As mentioned above, if a player wants to get his feet wet in the NHL, Buffalo might be one of only a few teams who could realistically afford them that opportunity.

I also like dudacek's point about contracts, though. If we're talking another Brian Flynn, I think the Sabres would likely pass altogether. If they see a higher ceiling in a guy, maybe.

I am rooting for them to sign somebody (and insert them in the Sabres lineup :flirt: ) just for some excitement between now and the draft.

I would put Matt Read in that discussion too, just to bring up a smaller school find. He's put up some nice seasons in Philly.

There's plenty of talent in the college ranks thats untapped. For example, look at NYR backup goaltender Cam Talbot. He was signed as a undrafted free agent from the University of Alabama-Huntsville. Exactly. Who?

Also, one of the better undrafted free agent signings has to be by Brian Burke, Tyler Bozak.

There's plenty of talent in the college ranks thats untapped. For example, look at NYR backup goaltender Cam Talbot. He was signed as a undrafted free agent from the University of Alabama-Huntsville. Exactly. Who?

Also, one of the better undrafted free agent signings has to be by Brian Burke, Tyler Bozak.

Agreed and perhaps the best UFA College kid... Martin St Louis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.