SPOILER GDT: LATVIA v. CANADA

Eleven

they outshot Latvia 60 - 15 for goodness sake , the story line is how well Latvian goalie played, not how Canada did not play well. What it shows in a one shot deal, a hot goalie anything can happen. Game just might also show that Ted Nolan a excellent motivator of men. One of his players, commenting his surprise a coach actually patting him on back.

Russia controls half the game but struggles to score goals and loses to Finland (a perennial medal contender), and it proves that Russians are a bunch of lazy, floating individuals who don't know the meaning of team. Ovechkin only had one goal in the tourney, yada yada typical Russians. Canada struggles to score and escapes by an ass hair against Latvia with Crosby being invisible on the scoresheet...anyone want to take a guess what the narrative will be? I can take a guess what it won't be.

Did you watch the Russian game and more importantly the canada game? It's not as if canada was lazy out there. I'm usually in agreeance with most of your posts but you are way off base on this one IMO.

they outshot Latvia 60 - 15 for goodness sake , the story line is how well Latvian goalie played, not how Canada did not play well. What it shows in a one shot deal, a hot goalie anything can happen. Game just might also show that Ted Nolan a excellent motivator of men. One of his players, commenting his surprise a coach actually patting him on back.

Yea, you missed my point. Of course Canada shouldn't be criticized, they dominated. But replace Canada with Russia, and I'd bet the narrative changes.

Did you watch the Russian game and more importantly the canada game? It's not as if canada was lazy out there. I'm usually in agreeance with most of your posts but you are way off base on this one IMO.

Another one misses the point :(

Somebody needs to give Ted Nolan a top shelf team to coach. He seems to be able to extract the best possible from every player, even untalented ones.

Russia controls half the game but struggles to score goals and loses to Finland (a perennial medal contender), and it proves that Russians are a bunch of lazy, floating individuals who don't know the meaning of team. Ovechkin only had one goal in the tourney, yada yada typical Russians. Canada struggles to score and escapes by an ass hair against Latvia with Crosby being invisible on the scoresheet...anyone want to take a guess what the narrative will be? I can take a guess what it won't be.

Well, I'm confident there will be plenty of teeth-gnashing and "what's wrong with Team Canada?" articles between now and Friday.

Yea, you missed my point. Of course Canada shouldn't be criticized, they dominated. But replace Canada with Russia, and I'd bet the narrative changes.

I got your point, and I'll address it seriously rather than joke around: Russia did not play lazy, or disinterested, or any of that other stuff that has become the narrative in such a short period of time. Their game against the USA was some of the most inspired hockey that I ever have seen. Problem is, Russia's just not that good. But you're right: that's not the story we're getting from sportswriters.

how... how does anyone whoever the participants frame 60 - 15 any differently, at least people not on illegal substances or over indulging in firewater. Finland - Russia game no comparison. , not that Russian floated, what they didnt do is come together as team. Not a surprise with OV , he a guy who with Capitals for his career overstays his time on ice, takes over long shifts, screws up team play, only time he and Capitals played well was when Hunter glued his ass to bench and used him in spirts. What this game shows is leaving guys to their own devices rather than play as team you often while more talented going to lose to a group who do play as team

I got your point, and I'll address it seriously rather than joke around: Russia did not play lazy, or disinterested, or any of that other stuff that has become the narrative in such a short period of time. Their game against the USA was some of the most inspired hockey that I ever have seen. Problem is, Russia's just not that good. But you're right: that's not the story we're getting from sportswriters.

I thought the Russian coaching was horrendous late in the Finland game but I didn't watch them much other than today.

Me and the American guy in the lab were watching this on the computer, stopping our experiments every 30 seconds. It was intense. Fun to watch in a bizarre way. I really hoped Latvia got a lucky breakaway and held on for 2-1. Nolan has impressed quite a few people i'm sure. I wonder what he would be like with a good team? Is his ability to wring every ounce of talent from a team or only to make bad teams better? Interesting to find out.

I joked with the American guy that I wonder if Nolan's experience of coaching a team that is always outgunned and outmatched for 40 games helped him come up with tactics etc. for this.

Latvia should be proud with how they played (despite being dominated they showed guts and blocked a ton of shots). Also I love their jerseys

I tend to agree. Russia's failures in international play speak volumes about the recent state of player development in Russia.

Nolan has impressed quite a few people i'm sure. I wonder what he would be like with a good team? Is his ability to wring every ounce of talent from a team or only to make bad teams better? Interesting to find out.

I think he has earned the right to coach this team for another couple of years.

I think he has earned the right to coach this team for another couple of years.

You'd sure as hell think so. But the interim tag hangs there, conspicuously as Aud has pointed out; Murray is clearly sizing up the guy; and he's the GM and has every right, or should, to bring in his own guy. Jeez, though, to hose Nolan a second time? It could be a PR disaster, which of course brings Black, Sawyer, Benson and the noble Pegulas into the mix. It could get interesting! Of course, it could get interesting without anyone outside of those offices knowing it.

You'd sure as hell think so. But the interim tag hangs there, conspicuously as Aud has pointed out; Murray is clearly sizing up the guy; and he's the GM and has every right, or should, to bring in his own guy. Jeez, though, to hose Nolan a second time? It could be a PR disaster, which of course brings Black, Sawyer, Benson and the noble Pegulas into the mix. It could get interesting! Of course, it could get interesting without anyone outside of those offices knowing it.

No, it doesn't. The decision is Murray's, with the possible need for LaFontaine's imprimatur. The reason he has the "interim" label is EXACTLY FOR THAT: they wanted a GM to be able to hire his own coach.

For me, I'd take Nolan in a hot second (I wouldn't have let him go in '97, either). I know, it's troublesome for you to find something to be contrary about right now, but this is a double "reach."

No, it doesn't. The decision is Murray's, with the possible need for LaFontaine's imprimatur. The reason he has the "interim" label is EXACTLY FOR THAT: they wanted a GM to be able to hire his own coach.

For me, I'd take Nolan in a hot second (I wouldn't have let him go in '97, either). I know, it's troublesome for you to find something to be contrary about right now, but this is a double "reach."

I think you're the one who's reaching if you think this is me being contrary. You don't think this owner will have something to say about who the coach is? ("Lindy ain't goin' nowhere.") Bringing back Nolan fits so nicely with two of Terry's themes: honoring alumni and giving people the chance to redeem themselves. I don't think I'm saying anything controversial when I say that if Tim doesn't want Nolan to return, it could be a very interesting time behind the scenes at the arena.

I think you're the one who's reaching if you think this is me being contrary. You don't think this owner will have something to say about who the coach is? ("Lindy ain't goin' nowhere.") Bringing back Nolan fits so nicely with two of Terry's themes: honoring alumni and giving people the chance to redeem themselves. I don't think I'm saying anything controversial when I say that if Tim doesn't want Nolan to return, it could be a very interesting time behind the scenes at the arena.

Then why didn't the just anoint him as coach at the beginning? The point is to let the GM choose a coach. There's no other reason.

Then why didn't the just anoint him as coach at the beginning? The point is to let the GM choose a coach. There's no other reason.

I don't know. We're both speculating. In an odd way, I am conflicted. I support bringing back Ted. But if Murray has his own guy, it would be a good sign that things are working as they should.

I don't know. We're both speculating. In an odd way, I am conflicted. I support bringing back Ted. But if Murray has his own guy, it would be a good sign that things are working as they should.

I'd speculate that a condition of employment for Murray was continuing with Nolan as coach at least through next year, barring a Rolston like output.

Same here. This may be a sign of the apocalypse.

I'd speculate that a condition of employment for Murray was continuing with Nolan as coach at least through next year, barring a Rolston like output.

Nah, they wouldn't still be calling him "interim coach."

Nah, they wouldn't still be calling him "interim coach."

I just don't see it.....if LaFontaine really runs the operations side of the house, and he fought this long to get Nolan back into the game, I'm doubting his first hire would be a guy who would can Nolan (or in this case, I guess it's fail to extend him) without a fair shot being given to prove himself.

Add in that next year, it doesn't really matter who coaches the team.

My guess is the "interim" tag remaining is an illusion that Murray has rights to make this decision going into this offseason. But there's no way to know until this fall.....

I just don't see it.....if LaFontaine really runs the operations side of the house, and he fought this long to get Nolan back into the game, I'm doubting his first hire would be a guy who would can Nolan (or in this case, I guess it's fail to extend him) without a fair shot being given to prove himself.

Add in that next year, it doesn't really matter who coaches the team.

My guess is the "interim" tag remaining is an illusion that Murray has rights to make this decision going into this offseason. But there's no way to know until this fall.....

I'm definitely down with that. That goes for last year and a couple preceding (and maybe even one more after next), as well.

Hmmm, let's see... This guy, Ted Nolan, says here he's a hockey coach:

Prior experience. Check.

Ability to squeeze proverbial water from proverbial rock. Check.

Demonstrable International and NHL coaching accomplishments. Check.

Unarguable untapped potential. Check.

Accepted and respected by fans. Check.

Primary choice of Sabres' President of Hockey Operations. Check.

Well, but does he have a few years to kill while we straighten this team around? This doesn't say anything about long term commitments.

If the team isn't sold on Nolan, why fire him at this end of the season when it will be controversial?

With our talent base, it's almost inevitable the coach who starts next year will be fired before we turn into a contender. That's the hockey way anywhere but Darcy's Buffalo and David's Nashville.

Ted can be that sacrificial lamb as well as anyone else.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.