Marcus Foligno - What's the deal

CallawaySabres

I really was hoping that Foligno was going to turn into a player like Girgs. Is this still possible - not sure. What in the world has happened to this kid? I barely notice him on the score-sheet as well as on-ice presence. Maybe I am totally wrong here as I don't follow individual players on the ice but I can usually tell who stands out (in a good way.) Girgs is turning into a FORCE and I absolutely love watching him get better and better each night.

Is Foligno in trouble on this team because honestly, I don't see any reason to keep him as part of this rebuild. I thought there was no way he could drift into my 'could not care less if he stays or goes' category and would love to get other thoughts on this. I thought of all people, Marcus would thrive under a coach like Nolan but I just don't see a difference maker on the ice.

I really was hoping that Foligno was going to turn into a player like Girgs. Is this still possible - not sure. What in the world has happened to this kid? I barely notice him on the score-sheet as well as on-ice presence. Maybe I am totally wrong here as I don't follow individual players on the ice but I can usually tell who stands out (in a good way.) Girgs is turning into a FORCE and I absolutely love watching him get better and better each night.

Is Foligno in trouble on this team because honestly, I don't see any reason to keep him as part of this rebuild. I thought there was no way he could drift into my 'could not care less if he stays or goes' category and would love to get other thoughts on this. I thought of all people, Marcus would thrive under a coach like Nolan but I just don't see a difference maker on the ice.

You must not watch the games. The announcers were talking about how he was finishing checks last night. He plays on a terrible line though and I wish he would show Ted something to get him with some better line mates.

I honestly haven't watched enough Sabres hockey this year to comment on Foligno, but wasn't his ceiling always projected to be 3rd liner? I think the torrid and unsustainable pace he put up with Ennis and the notoriously streaky Stafford two seasons ago raised expectations unfairly for the kid. Maybe he's just a 4th line grinder and no more.

He's stuck on the 4th line. He'll always be a 4th liner stuck on the 4th line.

I honestly haven't watched enough Sabres hockey this year to comment on Foligno, but wasn't his ceiling always projected to be 3rd liner? I think the torrid and unsustainable pace he put up with Ennis and the notoriously streaky Stafford two seasons ago raised expectations unfairly for the kid. Maybe he's just a 4th line grinder and no more.

his ceiling wasnt even that high. That was a best case and now that seems to be where he is at early in his development. I think he will be a pretty good third liner when this team gets some talent. Probably chip in 30-40 points a year.

his ceiling wasnt even that high. That was a best case and now that seems to be where he is at early in his development. I think he will be a pretty good third liner when this team gets some talent. Probably chip in 30-40 points a year.

Right now we will be lucky if Cody Hodgson chips in 40pts this year.

Right now we will be lucky if Cody Hodgson chips in 40pts this year.

yeah..... that is this year..... I am saying in two to three years when there is talent on this roster and foligno is on the third line i think he will be chipping in 30-40 points.

So what is your point? Or did you just not read anything?

This.

He's a grinder who at this point needs a little more grind. I don't think he's a 40pt player, more like 20-30. But with a lot of young players, he just doesn't have the consistency in his game right now.

At the very least I would like to see him bang around a little more and cause some trouble. He is certainly being overshadowed by Girg

This.

He's a grinder who at this point needs a little more grind. I don't think he's a 40pt player, more like 20-30. But with a lot of young players, he just doesn't have the consistency in his game right now.

At the very least I would like to see him bang around a little more and cause some trouble. He is certainly being overshadowed by Girg

So a dude on the fourth line is being overshadowed by someone on the first...... our (currently) best player is overshadowing others on the team.....

Also Foligno is currently a 20-30 point guy...... so you dont think he will improve at all...... even though he is currently on the lowest scoring team in hockey history....

This.

Well i guess I thought he was projected to be a much better player - so there you have it then.....

Well i guess I thought he was projected to be a much better player - so there you have it then.....

we drafted him as a project and he has already exceeded expectaions. Kassian was taken in the same draft 4-5 rounds higher and Foligno is already a better player than Kass is.

we drafted him as a project and he has already exceeded expectaions. Kassian was taken in the same draft 4-5 rounds higher and Foligno is already a better player than Kass is.

I think my problem (as someone else had mentioned) is that he looked like Girgs a bit when he played with Stafford and Ennis and he was tearing it up. He was not only scoring but laying the lumber each night and I recall noticing him on a nightly basis.

I think my problem (as someone else had mentioned) is that he looked like Girgs a bit when he played with Stafford and Ennis and he was tearing it up. He was not only scoring but laying the lumber each night and I recall noticing him on a nightly basis.

IDK what to tell you.... he is producing very similar to last year, over 100 hits this year which is top 50 in the league.....

You must not watch the games. The announcers were talking about how he was finishing checks last night. He plays on a terrible line though and I wish he would show Ted something to get him with some better line mates.

Leaving aside the obnoxiousness of your first sentence, he played under 12 minutes last night and his ice time has been declining over the past few games. He's been more or less invisible.

So a dude on the fourth line is being overshadowed by someone on the first...... our (currently) best player is overshadowing others on the team.....

Also Foligno is currently a 20-30 point guy...... so you dont think he will improve at all...... even though he is currently on the lowest scoring team in hockey history....

Funny. But Girg is a first liner because he skates and makes plays. He also hits. There's no reason Foligno cant hit and skate hard like Grig. That's why he's on the fourth line.

No I don't see Foligno with a high offensive ceiling.

Funny. But Girg is a first liner because he skates and makes plays. He also hits. There's no reason Foligno cant hit and skate hard like Grig. That's why he's on the fourth line.

No I don't see Foligno with a high offensive ceiling.

adding 10-20 more points than he currently does on a checking line isnt a high offensive ceiling. He is on pace for 22 points this year on the worst offensive team in hockey history. Him chipping in 30-40 isnt that big of a leap. Foligno hits more than girg.

adding 10-20 more points than he currently does on a checking line isnt a high offensive ceiling. He is on pace for 22 points this year on the worst offensive team in hockey history. Him chipping in 30-40 isnt that big of a leap. Foligno hits more than girg.

He has about 15 more hits than Z. Granted tracking that stat is almost completely arbitrary. In any event, I agree with nfreeman, he hasn't been earning ice time and has been invisible.

My point with Z is that Foligno can be a big guy who hits and can make a difference without scoring.

He has about 15 more hits than Z. Granted tracking that stat is almost completely arbitrary. In any event, I agree with nfreeman, he hasn't been earning ice time and has been invisible.

My point with Z is that Foligno can be a big guy who hits and can make a difference without scoring.

He is. Foligno is hitting and chipping in some points. 11 to be exact, so far. That is while playing mostly checking line minutes. One is a first round draft pick. The other was a fourth round pick.

Foligno's problem is simple. He has forgotten where the net is.

Almost every time over the last few games, he has had possesion of the puck in the offensive zone, he has passed it back to the point. He hasn't even looked elsewhere on the ice. I think he maybe the only winger who still does this hangover from the Rolston era. This team does not score from the point. Hell they barely ever get deflections or other primary assists from there. It is true that the Sabres don't score alot anyway, but when they do it is almost always on a play of confusion from down low or a defensive breakdown. Look what passing the puck backwards all the time did for Leino's career. Also, he has been finishing checks, but they are mostly in the O zone 2 seconds behind the play, while the opposition is working their way into the D zone.

Leaving aside the obnoxiousness of your first sentence, he played under 12 minutes last night and his ice time has been declining over the past few games. He's been more or less invisible.

And all five of his shifts started in the offensive zone, according to Matthew Coller.

He's such an effort guy that I'm wondering if he's tired (tough to see that given that they only played once last week) or nursing something.

I'm generally of the opinion that he'll turn out to be a decent third-liner or very good fourth-liner.

And all five of his shifts started in the offensive zone, according to Matthew Coller.

He's such an effort guy that I'm wondering if he's tired (tough to see that given that they only played once last week) or nursing something.

I'm generally of the opinion that he'll turn out to be a decent third-liner or very good fourth-liner.

I agree with this. Our team is TERRIBLE and he is still a pretty good 3rd or 4th liner. Weird about his offensive starts and I wonder what line TN was matching that line with... maybe the Lecav line?

Foligno is not even playing well enough to be on the 4th line right now. I do not know what his problem is, but he is virtually non-existent on the ice as far as effort and toughness are concerned. He has played much better than this, but rarely this year. He could be headed to healthy scratch status when some other forwards return.

IMO Foligno is doing about what he was projected to do. He was projected as a bottom 6 guy and he is turning into a pretty reliable bottom 6 guy. For those referencing his hot streak when he first came up, someone mentioned he (that whole line really) had a ridiculous shooting percentage. As in, a totally unsustainable shooting percentage. he's come down to where everyone thought he might be when he was drafted.

Archived