Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

The three 2nd rounders next year are great, but that 1st round pick is amazing to dream about. It's either a top 5 this year or, in all likelihood, a top 10 next year. Let's hope the Islanders stay incompetent.

That's like hoping that the sun rises in the East.

That's like hoping that the sun rises in the East.

Accidents happen. Sometimes the sun never comes out because it's overcast all day.

I guess the concern is that the Isles might accidentally do something right -- or fire Snow for his cartoonish level of incompetence.

BTW, for all the crap we've given Darcy and for all the celebrating we did when he was finally fired, Vanek to the Islanders is still BY FAR the best trade we made this year*.

[*Unless Fasching or one of the other prospects Murray traded for later turns out to be a star or something.]

BTW, for all the crap we've given Darcy and for all the celebrating we did when he was finally fired, Vanek to the Islanders is still BY FAR the best trade we made this year*.

[*Unless Fasching or one of the other prospects Murray traded for later turns out to be a star or something.]

Darcy made some excellent trades during his tenure. Many, actually.

He just didn't know f--- all about how to build a team in the past 7 years. He actually seemed to have an excellent plan post-lockout of 2004, but nothing much since.

In retrospect, I'm glad we got rid of Vanek. F him. :pirate:

Why?

In retrospect, I do wish they hadn't matched that offer sheet with Edmonton, though. The worst kind of face-saving move. They had already lost Drury and Briere. It was time for the tank right then and there. The team could have been set up by 2011 with all those draft picks.

Edited by LoveAndWarrener

Why?

In retrospect, I do wish they hadn't matched that offer sheet with Edmonton, though. The worst kind of face-saving move. They had already lost Drury and Briere. It was time for the tank right then and there. The team could have been set up by 2011 with all those draft picks.

Absolutely. But Darcy was a fool and thought he could tweak. The writing was on the wall when he lost Briere and Drury for nothing. We'll be best served to remember this example of what not to do.

Absolutely. But Darcy was a fool and thought he could tweak. The writing was on the wall when he lost Briere and Drury for nothing. We'll be best served to remember this example of what not to do.

It's funny how it might have been one of his singular worst moves to keep one of his best players... But it turned out that way. Vanek couldn't lead the team and neither could the rest of his generation of teammates. Again, face-saving move to stave off fan revolt.

Now Darcy's looking for work in the league, fan morale hit its all time low this year, and Vanek has been traded twice. Couldn't have scripted that one.

Why?

For being a "susperstar" he never made the Sabres a significantly better team. The best we could do was scratch and claw for 8th place every year. And, he hasn't/didn't make a ton of difference for the Isles. Those 4 first rounders from the Oilers would have done a lot more to rebuild this team that a (very talented) forward who doesn't put in a consistent effort every shift.

I don't actually believe that. What hurt his trade value was actually Steve Bartlett his agent.

Bartlett is taking Vanek to market you can bank on it........nobody was going to pay a premium for Vanek without the chance to sign him.

Well, i agree that it's been clear that Vanek has been determined to go to FA from the get-go, but I also think a soft rental market is a soft rental market. The frenzy didn't really hit this year. I also think that his rental value was impacted by his olympic performance, although probably unfairly so since he's been a pretty solid producer in the playoffs (admittedly with a modest sample size).

I will also note that Friedman and Hughson were also referring to Vanek's value on the UFA market -- I think they both said words to the effect thathe cost himself millions of dollars in Sochi. FWIW, I'm not sure I agree - someone will probably still give him a ton of money.

Well, i agree that it's been clear that Vanek has been determined to go to FA from the get-go, but I also think a soft rental market is a soft rental market. The frenzy didn't really hit this year. I also think that his rental value was impacted by his olympic performance, although probably unfairly so since he's been a pretty solid producer in the playoffs (admittedly with a modest sample size).

I will also note that Friedman and Hughson were also referring to Vanek's value on the UFA market -- I think they both said words to the effect thathe cost himself millions of dollars in Sochi. FWIW, I'm not sure I agree - someone will probably still give him a ton of money.

You are correct , someone will give him the money because on a good team (not to be confused with ours or the Isles) with a playmaking center, he will continue to use half of his skill and energy to play through injuries and put up 20-40 goals and 60-80, pts for the next five or so years. He is still a scoring chance machine and still makes whomever he plays with better .

OR he may take less to return to MINN because in the final analysis he probably knows hockey is just another professional sport meat market and that the quality of his family's life is far more important than a puck and the psycho mood swings of the average fickle fan. lol

Freidman and Hughson are just two of many talking heads in the pro sport buisness. They must have thought Austria was a powerhouse hockey force with a chance to medal.(I did like their hybrid goaltender who played the third against Canada and the next two games ) Their opinions in the market carry the same weight as Potato's.

Today, Boston, Philly, LA, and Pitt are kicking themselves knowing Montreal got him for a 2nd and a/b prospect. It gets really interesting if Montreal faces Boston in the playoffs or for that matter any of those teams who looked early and passed.

Edited by waldo

For being a "susperstar" he never made the Sabres a significantly better team. The best we could do was scratch and claw for 8th place every year. And, he hasn't/didn't make a ton of difference for the Isles. Those 4 first rounders from the Oilers would have done a lot more to rebuild this team that a (very talented) forward who doesn't put in a consistent effort every shift.

Even the best individual players are only worth a few wins per year, so I think it's important not to confuse overall place in the standings with the value of each player. Vanek, Pominville, Roy...all players you "couldn't win with"....yet, the team has gotten unarguably worse since getting rid of them. Those players made the Sabres better, and if being better wasn't enough for more than a battle for 8th place, the problem wasn't them it was the players surrounding them.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I have a feeling they will be giving us their first this year because they will be a strong candidate in the McDavid sweepstakes

I doubt it. Snow has to make the decision in concert with the owner. Unless Snow is fired before June 1, which is possible, and regardless of what he may say, he is going to protect his own ass. If he defers and they suck again down to the McDavid sweepstakes, Snow is going to be out of a job. I say they defer even though they probably shouldn't.

Even the best individual players are only worth a few wins per year, so I think it's important not to confuse overall place in the standings with the value of each player. Vanek, Pominville, Roy...all players you "couldn't win with"....yet, the team has gotten unarguably worse since getting rid of them. Those players made the Sabres better, and if being better wasn't enough for more than a battle for 8th place, the problem wasn't them it was the players surrounding them.

No room for rational thoughts here, Doc.

Craig Custance from ESPN weighs in with his trade grades - A minus for both MIN & BUF

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=1639

I took note of what he wrote about Moulson and, sadly, this speaks to the reasons I wish we could have kept him - or will get him back.......

Of all the rental wingers available, Matt Moulson might be the best fit for a contender. Thomas Vanek has higher-end skill, but teams really like the way Moulson plays.

min.gif

“He’s what I’d really like to be looking for,” one interested general manager said earlier this week. “He goes to the hard areas.”

That’s not necessarily the case for some of the other wingers. Moulson’s production dropped when he left John Tavares' wing, but whose wouldn’t?

“[He’s a] natural goal scorer,” one NHL scout said following the trade to Minnesota. “Ideally needs someone to get him the puck. Good down low around the crease.”

The Wild are currently No. 25 in the NHL in scoring, averaging 2.36 goals per game. Bringing in a 30-goal scorer definitely helps the cause. He’s a guy teammates love, was close with Tavares, and should have no problem acclimating to his third team this season.

Snow said on Sportsnet radio that they have to make a decision on the deferment of the 1st round pick they gave up for Vanek on June 1st.

I have a feeling they will be giving us their first this year because they will be a strong candidate in the McDavid sweepstakes

draft lottery is April 15th. NYI will know their draft position before june 1 designation.

I think the islanders will be worse next season. assuming this years is 3rd or higher, if I was them, i'd give the sabres this years.

also, garth snow won't be around on june 1st to make this decision.

Edited by papazoid

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.