Thomas Vanek: Build a line.

darksabre

At this point we know what Thomas Vanek is as a hockey player. He's got the scoring touch but can't be relied on to take a game over. He's kinda slow, doesn't forecheck, but is also strong on the puck when he does have it. Unfortunately I don't think he's ever had line mates that really complement his game.

So I put it to you. Build a line for Thomas. Use current team rosters if you want. Fit him into a lineup or find some players to play on the first line with him here.

Who would maximize Thomas's potential?

I'm all for moving Vanek since I don't think there's any chance he'll re-sign at this point but before he gets shipped out I'd like to see a line of Vanek Grigorenko Foligno. I'd like to see what kind of playmaking abilities Girgorenko could make happen by playing with a guy who can actually put the puck in the net and Foligno would be a good compliment with his physicality and abilty to muck it up in the corners and in front of the net. They'd probably be disastrous defensively but I'd roll the dice on it just to see what happens.

I assume you're talking about guys on our team, so here goes:

His center should be Hodgson (for his passing) and he needs a RW to rocket into the corners, dig the puck out, and get it back to either him or Hodgson. That should be Girgensons, Foligno, or Larsson.

At this point we know what Thomas Vanek is as a hockey player. He's got the scoring touch but can't be relied on to take a game over. He's kinda slow, doesn't forecheck, but is also strong on the puck when he does have it. Unfortunately I don't think he's ever had line mates that really complement his game.

So I put it to you. Build a line for Thomas. Use current team rosters if you want. Fit him into a lineup or find some players to play on the first line with him here.

Who would maximize Thomas's potential?

Ott at center and Foligno on the opposite wing.

I would rather discuss what we think we could get in return for him. Who he plays with now or in the future is irrelevant. Sooner the better.

The question should be who do you want to see as Cody's linemates? That is the question that matters. Who will be the two guys that bring the most out of him? I think he picks up on Vaneks laziness.

If Rolston is playing Foligno at center, he probably wouldn't think twice about putting Ott at pivot.

If Ott was going to play center, he would've done it by now.

I would rather discuss what we think we could get in return for him. Who he plays with now or in the future is irrelevant. Sooner the better.

The question should be who do you want to see as Cody's linemates? That is the question that matters. Who will be the two guys that bring the most out of him? I think he picks up on Vaneks laziness.

Yes.

Feel free to fit him into other team lineups as well. I'm looking for who everyone thinks are his ideal linemates. This is less about reality/trade proposals as it is meant to be a fun experiment in player evaluation by fans.

As far as my Moulson and Tavares idea, there are so many ways to go about a trade proposal for Vanek. I'd do Vanek for Strome straight up. Vanek for Nelson, a 1st and 3rd. Sundstrom, Nelson and a pick.

Prospects the Islanders have that I would want: Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Johan Sundstrom, Kirill Kabanov, Taylor Cammarata.

As far as my Moulson and Tavares idea, there are so many ways to go about a trade proposal for Vanek. I'd do Vanek for Strome straight up. Vanek for Nelson, a 1st and 3rd. Sundstrom, Nelson and a pick.

Prospects the Islanders have that I would want: Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Johan Sundstrom, Kirill Kabanov, Taylor Cammarata.

I don't care about trades.

I don't care about trades.

I don't care about lines on other teams. I don't really get this thread then. I'll just say put him on a line with Crosby and Malkin. The end.

Maybe we should just create one giant thread of Vanek and Miller FANTASY speculation (stuff that we just make up) and one giant thread of potential rumors involving them that come from sources/articles. That way to avoid semi-pointless threads like this.

I don't care about lines on other teams. I don't really get this thread then. I'll just say put him on a line with Crosby and Malkin. The end.

Maybe we should just create one giant thread of Vanek and Miller FANTASY speculation (stuff that we just make up) and one giant thread of potential rumors involving them that come from sources/articles. That way to avoid semi-pointless threads like this.

I'm sorry you don't understand the concept. This is about finding the best accompaniment for Vanek. I'd expect posters here to be smart enough to look beyond "oh just put him with Kane and Toewes".

I know, trying is hard. I don't want ###### trade talk diluting what could be a nice exercise.

I'm sorry you don't understand the concept. This is about finding the best accompaniment for Vanek. I'd expect posters here to be smart enough to look beyond "oh just put him with Kane and Toewes".

I know, trying is hard. I don't want ###### trade talk diluting what could be a nice exercise.

Sorry. I just really felt an itch. I just HAD to talk about Vanek on the Islanders.

Archived