Thomas Vanek: Build a line.

darksabre

At this point we know what Thomas Vanek is as a hockey player. He's got the scoring touch but can't be relied on to take a game over. He's kinda slow, doesn't forecheck, but is also strong on the puck when he does have it. Unfortunately I don't think he's ever had line mates that really complement his game.

So I put it to you. Build a line for Thomas. Use current team rosters if you want. Fit him into a lineup or find some players to play on the first line with him here.

Who would maximize Thomas's potential?

Slow? Not sure about that. I've seen his turbo jets come on once in a while. I think the guy was uninspired on the Sabres. I guess we'll see, now, if he comes alive. You can't ask for much better than Tavares as your center.

Slow? Not sure about that. I've seen his turbo jets come on once in a while. I think the guy was uninspired on the Sabres. I guess we'll see, now, if he comes alive. You can't ask for much better than Tavares as your center.

I wish the very best for Thomas. Who knows? Like you say, perhaps he was just discouraged being saddled with such an awful, dead in the water team. I would love to see him come alive on the Islanders and prosper.

Tavares is probably the ideal centerman for Vanek. Totally expect him to reach 40 goals in the near future if he re-signs there. As for his RWer, I'm not sure anyone on the Islanders would be my "ideal" choice. Kind of a cop out here, but I think Pominville's style suits Vanek's play pretty well. Otherwise maybe a speedy winger like St. Louis or a power forward like Dustin Brown.

Tavares is probably the ideal centerman for Vanek. Totally expect him to reach 40 goals in the near future if he re-signs there. As for his RWer, I'm not sure anyone on the Islanders would be my "ideal" choice. Kind of a cop out here, but I think Pominville's style suits Vanek's play pretty well. Otherwise maybe a speedy winger like St. Louis or a power forward like Dustin Brown.

I think Tavares might benefit more from Vanek than the other way around. Tavares is the better player, but Tavares is a goal-scorer more than a playmaker for others. Vanek's passing should suit him well.

I think Tavares might benefit more from Vanek than the other way around. Tavares is the better player, but Tavares is a goal-scorer more than a playmaker for others. Vanek's passing should suit him well.

Vanek's two-way play, which always has been good, will start to be noticed here. Bank on it.

Archived