Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Even Strength Points per 60...

1 Sam Bennett OHL 3.5 2 Robby Fabbri OHL 3.4 3 Andrew Mangiapane OHL 3.4 4 Spencer Watson OHL 3.4 5 Nikolaj Ehlers QMJHL 3.2 6 Kris Schmidli WHL 3.2 7 Jayce Hawryluk WHL 3.2 8 Josh Ho-Sang OHL 3 9 Leon Draisaitl WHL 2.9 10 Nikita Scherbak WHL 2.8 11 Chase De Leo WHL 2.8 12 Lane Bauer WHL 2.8 13 Nicolas Aubé-Kubel QMJHL 2.8 14 Sam Reinhart WHL 2.8

thanks… that is surprisingly quite a large difference between bennett and reinhart (3.4 vs 2.8). over 70 games that would lead to ~12 point difference in favor of bennett. its not the largest sample, and definitely shows reinhart is more lethal on the power play (or gets more minutes) but i would've expected him to have better numbers at even strength. And i know its been talked about before but reinhart was less than a month away from being taken in last years draft and was in his 3rd season in the WHL, whereas bennett is 6 months younger and only in his second season in the OHL, which is a big deal to me, but i know not to a lot of others. my only concern with that is that somehow bennetts season was a fluke and hell regress back a little bit next year to where he should be.

regardless, i will obviously trust murrays choice and be excited for whoever our pick is between reinhart, bennett, draisaitl, even ekblad, but i think i am in camp bennett (albeit just barely). i think he's a riskier pick, yet has the highest potential and we could really use a player who is an explosive skater and still has the vision and skill to go along with it. ill be happy with reinhart just based on the general consensus among scouts that he is the best forward in the draft, but i would go with bennett -- more importantly, i doubt we will ever know the truth, but i just hope murray gets the #1 guy on his board.

thanks… that is surprisingly quite a large difference between bennett and reinhart (3.4 vs 2.8). over 70 games that would lead to ~12 point difference in favor of bennett. its not the largest sample, and definitely shows reinhart is more lethal on the power play (or gets more minutes) but i would've expected him to have better numbers at even strength. And i know its been talked about before but reinhart was less than a month away from being taken in last years draft and was in his 3rd season in the WHL, whereas bennett is 6 months younger and only in his second season in the OHL, which is a big deal to me, but i know not to a lot of others. my only concern with that is that somehow bennetts season was a fluke and hell regress back a little bit next year to where he should be.

regardless, i will obviously trust murrays choice and be excited for whoever our pick is between reinhart, bennett, draisaitl, even ekblad, but i think i am in camp bennett (albeit just barely). i think he's a riskier pick, yet has the highest potential and we could really use a player who is an explosive skater and still has the vision and skill to go along with it. ill be happy with reinhart just based on the general consensus among scouts that he is the best forward in the draft, but i would go with bennett -- more importantly, i doubt we will ever know the truth, but i just hope murray gets the #1 guy on his board.

It's nice to trust the GM for once.

I couldn't have told you who Nick Deslauriers was last year if you had a gun to my head and I was on LSD. Now...he's one of 4 or 5 guys who actually gave a crap when there was nothing to play for, and has the body and enough skill to play in the league over time, even if it is on the 3rd line at best.

Just a few more days. What is your wish list?

I think given the heavier/edgier players we've acquired in the past two years, and the types of players available, this is the year to sacrifice some depth to move up, and take a calculated risk on some skill.

@2 I want Reinhart. But I'm good with any of Ekblad/Bennett/Draisaitl in that order.

Then I think we need to be aggressive in targeting a player and paying the price to get him, especially for Ehlers in the top 10, Larkin or Fiala in the teens, or Tuch in the early 20s.

And I'd be ecstatic if we traded up to get Barbashev pretty much anywhere.

And ideally we keep at least one pick in the 30s where I'd like to see them grab whatever high-risk, high-talent question mark like Goldobin, Ho-Sang or Scherbak slides.

Edited by dudacek

I think given the heavier/edgier players we've acquired in the past two years, and the types of players available, this is the year to sacrifice some depth to move up, and take a calculated risk on some skill.

@2 I want Reinhart. But I'm good with any of Ekblad/Bennett/Draisaitl in that order.

Then I think we need to be aggressive in targeting a player and paying the price to get him, especially for Ehlers in the top 10, Larkin or Fiala in the teens, or Tuch in the early 20s.

And ideally we keep at least one pick in the 30s where I'd like to see them grab whatever high-risk, high-talent question mark like Goldobin, Ho-Sang or Scherbak slides.

This is my wish list, be aggressive.

Edited by WildCard

If they trade Zadorov I would be stunned and disheartened. That dude is Chris Pronger for us for a decade + He is the absolute untradeable guy to me and Girgs is a very close second who I envision growing up to Mark Messier.

I agree on Z. I'd hate to see him anywhere but a sabre.

I'm still not happy that NJ was allowed back in the round 1.

that number 30 player is sure to have a HOF career followed by #31 being an AHL all-star. ;)

There are going to be a lot of good value picks between 31 and 50 and possibly as many as 5 with NHL bloodlines: Lemieux, Quenneville, Macinnis, Karlsson, Schmaltz......

I have issues with all those stats :D

In the end it always depends on what kind of style the team plays he ends up.

MacKinnon might not have had such a great year if he would have played in Buffalo or for the Islanders... I look more at the attitude then at the skillset.

I've settled in on Reinhart > Bennett > Draisaitl, but I won't cry about any of them. Yes, that means I don't want Ekblad at all. Trades for 1st line forwards just aren't common enough for me to put faith in a trade happening if we draft Ekblad.

I'd be delighted with Ekblad...it would mean more moves to get a center, but there are two drafts to get this right.

If Ekblad is there, I think he gets taken. I don't think he will be though.

I won't moan about Reinhart, Draisaitl or Bennett. (I like that order) But I think Reinhart is the clear choice. I do think Bennett would be fun to watch, I just wonder about his durability in the NHL. But this at some point choosing the best center is like looking at paint colors with the missus...........

(Her) "Honey, do you prefer the Alabama Crimson, the Crimson Sunset, or the Crimson Candy Shell?"

(me not seeing or caring about the difference) "Uh........definitely the Crimson Sunset, dear."

(her smiling in delight because I secretively guessed correctly) "We always have the same taste, I was leaning that way too."

(me confidently) "Well that's the right choice then. How about I fire up the grill and we celebrate a little."

I've settled in on Reinhart > Bennett > Draisaitl, but I won't cry about any of them. Yes, that means I don't want Ekblad at all. Trades for 1st line forwards just aren't common enough for me to put faith in a trade happening if we draft Ekblad.

I agree with you on Ekblad. While I like all three of the top Centers, my order of preference is Bennett > Draisaitl > Reinhart. I'll trust Murray and the scouts to make the right selection. Come on Friday!!

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Quick follow up on TSN Draft Rankings: it's never been more difficult to assemble the list than this year. More difficult to get consensus.

I suspect reasonable # - 23 to 27 is usual range - of Top 30 will go in 1st round. As usual, guys ranked in 30s interchangeable with 20s.

Beyond 35, opinions on players are wildly scattered. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of guys ranked 31-60 don't go in 2nd round.

In any case, 2014 draft has stronger feeling of unpredictability/volatility. I don't think scouts are as enamored of prospects as most yrs.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

There are going to be a lot of good value picks between 31 and 50 and possibly as many as 5 with NHL bloodlines: Lemieux, Quenneville, Macinnis, Karlsson, Schmaltz......

So you'd rather keep the three seconds than package them to trade up?

So you'd rather keep the three seconds than package them to trade up?

I'd prefer to move up. But I think it is not a tragedy if Murray can't. There is a lot of value in the middle of the second, those picks might be attractive to some clubs that need additional picks. The coming worry is maxing out on the 50 contract limit with all the draft picks Buffalo has acquired, so trading quantity for quality is imperative at some point.

Me too. And I will punch TM if he drafts Ekblad.

This is a strange draft, IMO. The question marks start at #5 and after. Lots of value in this draft, but very few sure-fire players and very few players that project as first liners.

For me the interesting thing about this draft is the strength of this draft, at least in the second round, is small players that can score. They're all smaller than what Murray wants. At 31, Scherbak or Ho Sang or Point or Gunnarsson will be there, and I think all of them are a higher caliber player than is normally available at 31, but I think Murray takes Lemieux.

I'd prefer to move up. But I think it is not a tragedy if Murray can't. There is a lot of value in the middle of the second, those picks might be attractive to some clubs that need additional picks. The coming worry is maxing out on the 50 contract limit with all the draft picks Buffalo has acquired, so trading quantity for quality is imperative at some point.

The 50 player limit will be an issue for this team, but they seem to be shaping to a point where their quantity has enough potential to use it to increase their quality.

I'm sure over the next week to 2 years we'll see players we don't want moved, moved. But if at the end of the day the Sabres are better (at least in future seasons, 'cause I'm resigned to this one not being good) I'm good w/ it. TM gets the benefit of the doubt (for now).

We take Leon or one of the Sams this year, a first-liner like Eichel next and at least one more centre in the top two rounds this year or next. Add them to Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, Compher.

When was the last time we had too many centres?

We should be in an amazing position to trade quantity for quality in the future.

We take Leon or one of the Sams this year, a first-liner like Eichel next and at least one more centre in the top two rounds this year or next. Add them to Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, Compher.

When was the last time we had too many centres?

We should be in an amazing position to trade quantity for quality in the future.

I'd set the over/under on NHL goals for Larsson at 37 1/2. Grigorenko at 113 1/2.

I'd set the over/under on NHL goals for Larsson at 37 1/2. Grigorenko at 113 1/2.

I am guessing you mean career goals. I think Larsson could hit the 100 mark roughly but he appears to be a solid 3rd line guy and I see him as better at wing. As for Grigorenko, to me he is a wild card. Your prediction could be right or he could hit 500 goals in the NHL. Grigorenko has all the talent and ability and the real question is does he have the will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to pretend we just draft were we draft and here are my 5 round mock for Buffalo (round 6 and 7 is a crapshoot):

2nd overall: C Sam Bennett 6' 180lbs, while many will argue that it takes larger players to win in the NHL and point to the Kings and Bruins as prime examples, I think Bennett is what it takes. Is he 6'2" 210lbs, no. That being said he is a very tenacious player with a very good skating ability and shot. I love how he blows through the zone and I love how he is physical. He is kind of a badass and has some swagger to his game and I honestly like that. When he is 6' 195lbs will anyone be worried he isn't big enough? No, because he will be flying around the ice doing what he does best, win.

31st overall: LW Brandon Lemiuex 6'1" 210lbs, think Kaleta but bigger, more skilled, and sadly with less defensive ability but don't let that scare you. This kid has a good shot with good hands. While he needs to work on the defensive side of things his offensive game and ability to cycle the puck and maintain possession are great. Occasionally blunders but the raw package and already established skill set is something we could really use. Oh and he is a pain in the ass in the offensive zone... everyone calls him hard to play against.

39th overall: C Vladaslav Kamenev 6'2" 203lbs, the Russian factor is in full effect with Kamenev. Murray is known to not take Russian guys but I think we have an exception and a player worthy of taking a shot on. If you could build the perfect #2 center for your team this is what you would get. Skates well and has good speed, footwork and great balance. Runs. Things. Over. Is good on both the fore and back check and is not afraid to be physical. His style is more of a play maker but he can stick-handle. His shot is average which is part of the reason he isn't rated higher but his defensive game is sound. Good on draws and smart in his own zone, this a player I would like to burn a 2nd on and hope for a home run.

49th overall: D Jack Glover 6'3" 190lbs, well I have technically have this American sliding a bit it would be very logical for him to be here at 49 and he could go anywhere from 39-59 in all reality, this draft is fluid. So what do I like about him? Ever heard of Jake McCabe? This kid is similar but slightly different. He is a good skater with good balance. He has a good wrist shot and passes well. Needs some offensive zone coaching from the sounds of things, may get a little over zealous on pinches. Will hit and block shots but has a good IQ defensively and knows where and when to do those two things. All and all a nice solid guy who could be a top 4 guy you can put out against other teams top lines. Probably 3 years away from AHL action, maybe 2 but looks to be heading to University of Minnesota in the fall.

61st overall: LW Edgars Kulda 6' 180lbs, the Latvian kid with great skater and the will of the Zemgus. Tenacious. He skates and shoots good and has the potential to be a 2nd line guy or maybe just high end 3rd liner. His stickhandling is quite good and his wrist shot is good. Obviously need sot bulk up but the interesting thing about him is his defensive zone play. He plays a good hard defensive game and is a bear when on the puck pursuit. Not sure what they feed them in Latvia but if you watch some of his highlights, there are flashes of Zemgus to his game. Also this guy is already in NA playing in the WHL and dropping 10g and 22pts in 21playoff games this season. Should be there at 61 but could be there at 121 or gone by 50. Fluid!

121st overall: C/LW Justin Kirkland 6'3' 190lbs, this guy is all over the map in terms of projections. I can find him as high as mid 40's-50's and as low as 140's roughly. I am doubtful to some extent he would actually be available at 121st overall. Realistically I'd like to see us trade up a little to about the 90 range and grab him. Skates well and just blossomed at the end of the season with 21pts in 22 games. 10pts in 14 playoff games. He is a power forward in the making. Graduated HS a year early, worked all year on getting better, he is a smart, has a good shot, and plays well in all 3 zones. He needs more experience and is a bit of a project. This guy will sit in Juniors for 2 more years and then take a year or 2 in the AHL before he see the NHL ice simply because he needs experience.

Well that's it. That is my dream draft but with how fluid and wonky the rankings everywhere are, who knows. I would considerate personally a good draft if we got 2 or 3 of the guys on my wishlist but I trust Timmy. Reinhart and Draisaitl are two players I like a lot. There is the possibility of trading back into the first and Barbashev I like along with everyone else. Hard to predict but Friday and Saturday should be a blast.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.