Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

So, vanek was a fourth overall pick years ago. In return from him we received the 5th overall pick this year (or a 1st round next year), a second round pick next year in a very deep draft, and two more seconds for the return from moulson. For once, thank you Darcy. I'm actually not as mad about declining edmontons four first rounder offer sheet back in the day anymore

So, vanek was a fourth overall pick years ago. In return from him we received the 5th overall pick this year (or a 1st round next year), a second round pick next year in a very deep draft, and two more seconds for the return from moulson. For once, thank you Darcy. I'm actually not as mad about declining edmontons four first rounder offer sheet back in the day anymore

I think he was 5th overall.

Even better.

how many no.1 overall picks did we turn down?

True but no way of knowing that at the time and things certainly would be changed if they had gotten vanek. For better, or worse, i don't know but we can't say everything would've still played out the same

With Vanek walking out in 2007, some of our picks could have been #1. Didn't he score like 20% of our goals some years?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Mock Draft #1

1) Florida - Aaron Ekblad, with the Panthers currently doing well up front they could use this oppurtunity to strengthen a blue line that still has some questions surrounding it. Ekblad would give them a big physical presence and they need that on the back end.

2) Buffalo - Sam Reinhart, dropping to #2 may be a great thing if Florida takes Ekblad. Buffalo has more defensive prospects than the rest of the league and they desperately need the offense that Reinhart will bring. It also gives them the chance to draft the #1 center we have lacked since Chris Drury.

3) Edmonton - Leon Draisaitl, with a soft core of smallish forwards the Oilers take the biggest center there is. Leon will immediately add size up the middle and also help to stabilize a team that has issues in all 3 zones.

4) Calgary - Sam Bennett, the aggressive center is exactly what the Flames need to continue their own rebuild. Whether he plays 2C or 1LW next to Monahan, Bennett will be the perfect compliment for them.

5) NYI/Buf - Michael Dal Colle, regardless of who has the pick the only name that should be called here is Dal Colle. He is a power forward and needs another year in juniors to add size/strength. His shot is dynamic and he can skate and play physical, either team could greatly use him.

6) Vancouver - Nicholas Ritchie, the Canucks really need a RW but with the big LW on the board they would be foolish not to take him. His size is something the Nucks need and on top of that he has the goal scoring that could help a team as they prepare for a major retool.

7) Carolina - Brendan Perlini, another large winger with size the Canes need something to get them out of the funk they are mired in. Perlini gives them better size on the wing and gives them a player who can possess the puck and dish it or shoot it.

8) Toronto - Jake Virtanen, this team had an epic collapse and is not that good. Virtanen gives them size on the wing and speed enough that he could play with Kessel or be the 2RW if they decide to switch him over. Either way great skater with good shot who is a beast.

9) Winnipeg - Nikolaj Ehlers, the Jets haven't drafted a LW since 2011 and this is probably one of the best NA wingers left. I don't see them drafting outside the US in rnd 1 and Ehlers should theoretically be a good offensive option on the left side if or when Kane flames out.

10) Anaheim - Kasperi Kapanen, the Ducks draft well outside of the US and Kapanen is a great prospect to have. With quick hands and a good skates Kapanen adds speed to the ducks and could potentially bolster a winger pool that is weaker.

11) Nashville - William Nylander, the Preds need offense almost as bad as the Sabres and Nylander gives them that in spades. Not afraid to take Euro's this pick would help bolster a weak center group that desperatly needs an upgrade.

12) Arizona - Dylan Larkin, Coyotes could use some larger LW prospects and Larkin gives them just that. A USHL product he has the size and skills to really help the Coyotes transition and build over the next 3 years or so as they grow their brand. Americans like Americans, its a smart pick.

13) Washington - Ivan Barbashev, the perfect match for a team in love with Russians. Barbashev gives them a good scoring wigner with massive holes in his defensive game but it's Washington, they only do offense and aren't smart enough to draft Fleury.

Well that is my current 1st round prediciton. There is a ton of winger talent in this draft and 3 very good centers at the very top. Things could change btw now in the draft depending on trades and such but for now I feel good with this.

Ryan Kennedy’s Lottery Mock Draft: http://www.thehockey...ery-mock-draft/

]2. Buffalo – Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert Raiders, C[/b]

The Sabres have great prospects up front and on the blueline. Draisaitl can step right into the NHL and play center thanks to his size and ability to make plays equally well on the forehand and backhand. Moving Cody Hodgson to the wing and keeping Mikhail Grigorenko in the minors/junior clearly meant the Sabres are still keeping jobs up the middle open (except Zemgus Girgensons – he’s your two-way guy).

5. Buffalo (from NY Islanders) – Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa Generals, LW

It’s practically a coin flip, but I think the Islanders need to hold on to next year’s first-rounder. They have to give up one thanks to the Thomas Vanek trade and next year’s draft is just too good with Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel and Noah Hanifin up top. Dal Colle is a fantastic scorer with size and the Sabres’ cupboard gets even more stuffed with his addition.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Is Ekblad really the only 18-year-old blue-liner worthy of a top 13 pick?

That's only happened once since the lockout (2006) and other than that year the next lowest is 4 (three times: '10, '07, '05).

Hayden Fleury could slip into the top 10 but if he goes higher than 9 I would be a surprised.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.