Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Well I am now a very firm believer the Sabres need to get meaner. As such Lemiuex and Kempe better be on the Sabres radar for the late 1st early 2nd round. I am tempted to say we should also take Bennett over Reinhart but I still feel Reinhart is the best player.

This concerns me too. Looking at the Sens team which TM had a hand in, they don't seem to be that mean or tough to play against.

What some Islanders fans want: http://www.reddit.co...rst_round_pick/

Not a great position to be in regardless of what Snow decides:

THN Blog: New York Islanders should give up first pick now, not in 2015

By: Brian Costello on April 11, 2014

The New York Islanders should take their nasty medicine now so they can start moving forward without an albatross around their neck.

Even with the Islanders projected to pick in the top five of this year’s draft, they should give it away to the Buffalo Sabres as compensation in the Thomas Vanek trade. There are just too many things that could go wrong if New York decides to put off the inevitable until next year.

In case you hadn’t heard, the Islanders last October traded their first-round pick in either 2014 or 2015, a second-round pick in 2015 and Matt Moulson to Buffalo for Vanek. It was a dreadful deal at the time and got horribly worse when Vanek, a pending UFA, rejected a contract extension with the Islanders. (Vanek has since been traded to Montreal for pennies on the dollar.)

The Islanders have the option to give either this year’s or next year’s first-rounder to Buffalo. With New York sitting in fourth-last place going into the final weekend of the season, it almost seems like a no-brainer the Isles would keep this year’s top-five pick and delay the compensation until next year.

Here’s a few reasons why I think New York must forsake this year’s pick.

If they end up winning the lottery or not , they have a shot at ekblad, they can't give that up . Islanders need defense more than the Oilers even.

They'll only get Ekblad if they actually win the lottery. Can't imagine a scenario where Ekblad slides to the 4th or 5th pick.

I think PR aside, the Islanders should defer the pick, but I can't imagine telling your fans you're going to be the worst team in the league next year holds up with the Isles fan base. It's a tenuous relationship as it is, throwing that at them might just break it

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM EDT: NBCSN: 2014 Draft Lottery

Perfect. Didn't realize it was going to be on NBCSN.

I think PR aside, the Islanders should defer the pick, but I can't imagine telling your fans you're going to be the worst team in the league next year holds up with the Isles fan base. It's a tenuous relationship as it is, throwing that at them might just break it

I'm confused. Defer the pick means we get the pick next year which wouldn't be telling the fan base they'll be bad.

No way. defer a top 4 pick? Not going to happen. You get a good talent, even in this diluted draft class. They aren't going to look at finishing in the bottom 5 next season. You take the pick, that's common sense. Buffalo will have to wait until 15 and hope the Islanders ######-can the bed next season.

Perfect. Didn't realize it was going to be on NBCSN.

I'm confused. Defer the pick means we get the pick next year which wouldn't be telling the fan base they'll be bad.

No way. defer a top 4 pick? Not going to happen. You get a good talent, even in this diluted draft class. They aren't going to look at finishing in the bottom 5 next season. You take the pick, that's common sense. Buffalo will have to wait until 15 and hope the Islanders ######-can the bed next season.

I think people are confused on what the word "defer" means in this situation...

Pretty much, I had "shouldn't defer" but backspaced and accidentally got rid of "n't" :doh:

Flames now down 4 0 so it looks like the isles will pick 5th if they don't win the lottery. Dal colle has been the near consensus 5th overall ranked player. From what I've seen from him in oshawa I think he will be a good player. He is a big yet skinny kid with an unbelievable release to his shot. He had a great start to the playoffs but has been quiet the last two or three games. Will be interesting to see what the isles do.

Flames now down 4 0 so it looks like the isles will pick 5th if they don't win the lottery. Dal colle has been the near consensus 5th overall ranked player. From what I've seen from him in oshawa I think he will be a good player. He is a big yet skinny kid with an unbelievable release to his shot. He had a great start to the playoffs but has been quiet the last two or three games. Will be interesting to see what the isles do.

Tank had the idea earlier but I'll reiterate it here: If the Isles give us their pick this year, I want two of these three, Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisaitl. Package the St.Louis and our pick to move up a few spots to snag one. Here's to hoping :beer:

5th or 6th, I think they give it to the Sabres.

Tank had the idea earlier but I'll reiterate it here: If the Isles give us their pick this year, I want two of these three, Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisaitl. Package the St.Louis and our pick to move up a few spots to snag one. Here's to hoping :beer:

I'd just take Reinhart/Bennet at 1 and then take Dal Colle at 5. Having a top scoring LW prospect who projects as a hard working power forward would be a great thing to have.

I'd just take Reinhart/Bennet at 1 and then take Dal Colle at 5. Having a top scoring LW prospect who projects as a hard working power forward would be a great thing to have.

Sure, but if you're picking between Bennett/Reinhart and Dal Colle then you pick one of the Sams. So if you have the chance to trade up and get both Sams then you do it. Well, if you think like the general group of people that know this draft do, at least.

I would have absolutely no problem sitting at five and taking Dal Colle, though.

Official draft lottery odds going into Tuesday:

1st - Buffalo 25.0%

2nd - Florida 18.8%

3rd - Edmonton 14.2%

4th - Calgary 10.7%

5th - New York Islanders 8.1%

6th - Vancouver 6.2%

7th - Carolina 4.7%

8th - Toronto 3.6%

9th - Winnipeg 2.7%

10th - Ottawa 2.1%

11th - New Jersey 0% (will pick 30th)

12th - Nashville 1.1%

13th - Phoenix 0.8%

14th - Washington 0.5%

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.