Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

It is...

Sabres' McCabe gets rookie maximum for three-year deal

Unlike teenage junior players, the 20-year-old McCabe doesn't get the nine-game tryout before his contract kicks in. So while he'll play a maximum of seven games for Buffalo this season, they'll count as an entire season.

It's a solid tradeoff for the Sabres, who lured McCabe away from Wisconsin following his junior year. The alternate captain led the Badgers' defense with eight goals and 25 points in 36 games this season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@NHLNewsFeed

2014 NHL mock draft 1.0 - ESPN: ESPN2014 NHL mock draft 1.0ESPNAs the 2013-14 NHL season enters its final stag... http://bit.ly/1pSLPac

Has the Blue and Gold with Reinhart at #1.

Team fit: It is fair to say Buffalo GM Tim Murray is the NHL's version of HGTV's Nicole Curtis (though the physical similarities probably end with the glasses). Like his "Rehab Addict" counterpart, the rookie GM has set about to return the ramshackle mess that is the Sabres franchise to its former glory. Despite the fact that Murray earned rave reviews with the haul of future assets he brought back from the trade deadline, his real skill (and the reason he was given the job in the first place) is in the talent evaluation department. With the first overall pick, Buffalo will select Reinhart to bolster one of the weakest offensive attacks (1.82 goals per game) in the NHL modern era.

Pronman's take: Reinhart is the best pure passer in this draft class. His ability to dictate the tempo of a hockey game, in terms of increasing or decreasing pace and making plays at all those speeds, elevates his game to a distinct level. Reinhart can make all kinds of plays with the puck, and his elite hockey sense stands out regularly in terms of the passing lanes he sees.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Some analysts think the best thing Garth Snow can do is give us this pick. (posted previously) http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/7154181

I don't doubt some analysts believe that. Your looking for a complimentary player for your star center, you have the opportunity to select one of the touted top 4 offensive prospects in the draft.

I don't believe, in Snow's case, he can afford to turn away from that.

Edited by HopefulFuture

I remain firmly on board with whoever Tim picks (even if I'm scared he might be leaning toward Daisaitl)

But god, I love the way Reinhart plays hockey.

Me too I watched him in the prospects game and he makes the guys around him better.

I don't doubt some analysts believe that. Your looking for a complimentary player for your star center, you have the opportunity to select one of the touted top 4 offensive prospects in the draft.

I don't believe, in Snow's case, he can afford to turn away from that.

I think the Islanders are going to pick this year if they fall in the top 5 when there still is a solid offensive player there. I think they can pick up a goalie in free agency and a forward to play with Tavares. I think we will be looking at a pick next year around 8-14 if Snow plays his cards right. Me personally I would love for the Islanders to let us use their pick this year. If they land pick 6 or later I think they might let us pick.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Me too I watched him in the prospects game and he makes the guys around him better.

I think the Islanders are going to pick this year if they fall in the top 5 when there still is a solid offensive player there. I think they can pick up a goalie in free agency and a forward to play with Tavares. I think we will be looking at a pick next year around 8-14 if Snow plays his cards right. Me personally I would love for the Islanders to let us use their pick this year. If they land pick 6 or later I think they might let us pick.

The Islanders have quietly been playing better hockey of late. This has been largely due to the emergence of Ryan Strome. Not sure of the exact number but the Islanders are now something like 6-2-2 with Strome in the lineup. They could make a push and draft 6-7th although staying at 5th seems most likely. I think they take the pick this year and plan on being better next year.

Edited by LGR4GM

I don't want to sound like a jerk with this but I would be shocked and I mean shocked if the Islanders let us use a top 5 pick. They are gonna use that pick and will most likely be alittle bit better than they are right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for some players in the offseason and most likely we will be using their pick next year which I think will fall from 8-14.

I would love to have the Islanders let us use their pick this year I just don't see it happening though. I would love 2 picks in the top 5. I just think they will make a move or two to better the team plus they have a lot of young guys coming. I just think they land in the 8-14 range next year.

In a way I hope NYI let us draft this year. I would draft 2 offensive players in the top 6 and then who knows what happens to the Blues/Miller pick. Murray could use the Blues pick plus a second or two to land another 1st rounder in the 10-20 range. I know people think they will be bad next year. I just don't think Snow is going to sit back and do nothing. He is already in hot water over that trade I think he would be happy if they finish 8-15 next year.

Very well said, with that in mind what do you think the Islanders do? If your Garth Snow and already took alot of heat for the trading of the pick do you risk just giving a team a top 5 pick this year to be in the McDavid sweepstakes. Who really knows if the Islanders will be that bad. I think with all the unrestricted goaltenders around and a possible free agent signing of a defenseman or offensive player they will be sitting worst in the 8-15 spot.

Dude, we get your stance.

Settle down, Beavis. Most of us pretty much just post the same stuff over and over anyway. And five similar posts over the course of a week really isn't that bad.

So what's this you're saying about how you think the Sabres will screw up the tank and win too many games?

Settle down, Beavis. Most of us pretty much just post the same stuff over and over anyway. And five similar posts over the course of a week really isn't that bad.

Honestly, it'd be weirder if he kept changing his mind.

I suppose that's true. I just felt like we already had a big discussion about that point like 4 or 5 days ago. I guess we have changed his opinion a bit. At first it was 8-15, now he's not so confident and has changed it to 8-14 :flirt:

I suppose that's true. I just felt like we already had a big discussion about that point like 4 or 5 days ago. I guess we have changed his opinion a bit. At first it was 8-15, now he's not so confident and has changed it to 8-14 :flirt:

I'm pretty sure a lot of discussions about the tank/draft/future events have had most of you repeat your opinion a ton. That's okay because it's a forum, you don't have to call people out on it though.

Honestly, it'd be weirder if he kept changing his mind.

So what's this you're saying about how you think the Sabres will screw up the tank and win too many games?

:lol:

I'm pretty sure a lot of discussions about the tank/draft/future events have had most of you repeat your opinion a ton. That's okay because it's a forum, you don't have to call people out on it though.

Sorry fellas about repeating it so often. It's just going to be interesting to see what Snow does with the pick. It would be nice if they would have to tell buffalo when they do the lottery not on draft day!

There's a decent chance that the Isles have a different decision maker by June 1st. So while I would guess right now that they give us this year's pick the new guy might think the team is close to competing and keep this year's while going for it. A lot of time to go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.