Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

This team needs players, they are not at the point to start filling specific needs. If the best player available in 2014 is a defenseman than they need to draft that defenseman. If it were a goalie, i'd say draft the goalie. The Sabres need players and they need a lot of them. The better the job Tim Murray does in maximizing assets they shorter the time frame this rebuild can take.

I agree 100%, which means you're dead wrong.

Edited by 716

This team needs players, they are not at the point to start filling specific needs. If the best player available in 2014 is a defenseman than they need to draft that defenseman. If it were a goalie, i'd say draft the goalie. The Sabres need players and they need a lot of them. The better the job Tim Murray does in maximizing assets they shorter the time frame this rebuild can take.

Yeah I understand. I guess. I do agree that this team needs talent as well. But when you're rebuilding from the draft up. As Chicago did with Toews, and Kane. As Pittsburgh did with Crosby, Malkin, Staal. It was done from the center position out. Sprinkling in improvements on the wing and defense throughout. Yes, they did draft Fleury before Crosby and Malkin, but you get the general sense of my argument. You can have a handful of useful wingers, but without the craft and skill of a center, you're devoid of the ability to produce the points. Unless you get in the rare cases of you find a producer from the LW or RW. That is the only thing I argue.

Yeah I understand. I guess. I do agree that this team needs talent as well. But when you're rebuilding from the draft up. As Chicago did with Toews, and Kane. As Pittsburgh did with Crosby, Malkin, Staal. It was done from the center position out. Sprinkling in improvements on the wing and defense throughout. Yes, they did draft Fleury before Crosby and Malkin, but you get the general sense of my argument. You can have a handful of useful wingers, but without the craft and skill of a center, you're devoid of the ability to produce the points. Unless you get in the rare cases of you find a producer from the LW or RW. That is the only thing I argue.

Well that's because there were Kanes, crosbys, and malkins in those drafts. Like next year there is mcdavid and eichel

Didn't the Penguins rebuild start with Fleury at #1 overall in 2003? They took him over two centers #2 Eric Staal and #3 Nathan Horton.

Just a question, why take an excess forward when we need playmaking capable centers. I'm starting to see that Cody Hodgson is more likely suited as a RW. This team really doesn't have a true center at the moment. Unless Grigorenko turns it around.

Not sure what Grigorenko has to turn around:

23GP 15G 24A 39P in the regular season

5GP 1G 8A 9P in the playoffs.

Not to mention tourney all-star at the WJC this past January and the kid isn't even 20 yet. Not to say he is NHL ready but lets not start thinking he is a "bust" either.

Where are they now? 2012 look back at the other forwards drafted in rd 1

Nail Yakupov - 2nd year with Edmonton NHL 63GP 11G 13A -33 +/-

Alex Galchenyuk 2nd year with Montreal NHL 61GP 12G 16A -14+/-

Filip Forsberg 1st year with Nashville NHL 13GP 1G 4A (spent most of the season in AHL

Radek Fasta Playing in OHL with Sudbury

Zemgus Girgensons we know about him

Tom Wilson 1st year in Washington 74GP 3G 7A +2+/-

Tomas Hertl 1st Year In San Jose 35GP 15G 10A +11+/-

Teuvo Teravainen Just arrived in Chicago 2GP 0G 0A - Played in Sweden

Scott Laughton plays with Oshawa in OHL

Mark Jankowski Plays with Providence in NCAA

None of these guys are tearing up the NHL at this point. Grigorenko is where he should be dominating Juniors and ready to make leap to Sabres or Americans

Didn't the Penguins rebuild start with Fleury at #1 overall in 2003? They took him over two centers #2 Eric Staal and #3 Nathan Horton.

The Pens were in year 1 of their planned tank, picking a good center may have pushed them out of the last spot for the next year. They had to be bad to get Crosby! :devil:

Just a question, why take an excess forward when we need playmaking capable centers. I'm starting to see that Cody Hodgson is more likely suited as a RW. This team really doesn't have a true center at the moment. Unless Grigorenko turns it around.

When shrader logs on he'll tell you why.

That is what Darcy said for years and the Sabres lost talent up the middle. Centers like Hodgson can be converted to wing when need be, but wingers rarely become centers. Draft up the middle, go after centers. I can't stress enough Ecklab now matter how is rated is not the answer in this draft. My only question is which one of these centers is best to draft, not if the Sabres should draft one with the first pick. The Sabres are Deep at D, and maybe some there are some potentially late maturing D later in the draft. So, yes I patently disagree with your thoughts on this... :wacko:

Edited by Icehole

That is what Darcy said for years and the Sabres lost talent up the middle. Centers like Hodgson can be converted to wing when need be, but wingers rarely become centers. Draft up the middle, go after centers. I can't stress enough Ecklab now matter how is rated is not the answer in this draft. My only question is which one of these centers is best to draft, not if the Sabres should draft one with the first pick. The Sabres are Deep at D, and maybe some there are some potentially late maturing D later in the draft. So, yes I patently disagree with your thoughts on this... :wacko:

C and G need to be the Sabres' concerns over the next several drafts.

Does anyone else think Darcy might have known how forward-heavy these next two drafts were, prompting him to draft two d-men over the likes of Nichushkin and Lazar? I'm not saying Risto and Zadorov were poor choices, but he does seem to have set us up very nicely for the upcoming drafts

Does anyone else think Darcy might have known how forward-heavy these next two drafts were, prompting him to draft two d-men over the likes of Nichushkin and Lazar? I'm not saying Risto and Zadorov were poor choices, but he does seem to have set us up very nicely for the upcoming drafts

Darcy having a plan makes me skeptical, but on the other hand, Darcy thinking about making the team good 3+ years in the future rather than now sounds like him.

Regier having a plan with respect to the draft and building makes me skeptical. It was he who left this team bereft of centers. He was a great trader, a halfway decent drafter, and a pretty bad architect.

Edited by Eleven

Darcy having a plan makes me skeptical, but on the other hand, Darcy thinking about making the team good 3+ years in the future rather than now sounds like him.

:lol:

Regier having a plan with respect to the draft and building makes me skeptical. It was he who left this team bereft of centers. He was a great trader, a halfway decent drafter, and a pretty bad architect.

All valid points, but it just seems too coincidental that here we are in a draft almost entirely void of defensive prospects (besides Ekblad) which is conveniently exactly what we already have in spades. Maybe he was just taking the philosophy of building from your blue line out, or maybe he was taking into account the old saying that it takes longer for d-men to develop than forwards. I'm really not sure, but the bold makes me lean towards one of the latter

Edited by WildCard

So I am not sure if anyone has posted this video, but TSN's Craig Button has the Sabres drafting Bennett 1st and getting this year's pick from the Islanders and drafting Draisaitl in the fourth spot with Reinhart going 5th to Calgary. I gotta think if the Sabres have an opportunity to get Reinhart 4th they take him over Draisaitl, though who knows. My question is who has the bigger motor with all that skill.

Granted he assumed Buff would win the lottery and the current top 5 would draft accordingly.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=49649

This can never happen, if only because it would be too wonderful. That's just science.

Reinhart seems like the right guy for all the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to stop from leaning towards Bennett

My big problem with Bennett is that I keep seeing him projected as a LW and we need centers. That's not really the end of the world, but it'd be just about perfect if we were getting Draisaitl at center too.

Give me Reinhart. I haven't wavered from it and there's absolutely no reason for me to. He's the best player in this draft. Take him.

Either way, I do see us taking a Sam that plays on a team who has a giant K on their jerseys either way if we get the first pick.

Edited by Tankalicious

My big problem with Bennett is that I keep seeing him projected as a LW and we need centers. That's not really the end of the world, but it'd be just about perfect if we were getting Draisaitl at center too.

I didn't see that he was projected as LW, which in that case would make me lean back towards Reinhart. It keeps being said here but it's a great point: you can't win without having a solid core of centers, and any natural center you have can be converted into a winger far more easily than vice-versa.

Draisaitl has me worried for a 1st overall (not that that's what you're saying) but at #4 I would love to steal him. Big body and resembles his game to Malkin which sounds great by me. My only problems with him are his display at the WJC, but that can be rationalized, and his skating ability, which he describes as one of his worst areas. He has play making ability for sure, but I'm not sure I'm ready to draft another center who'd be better off walking on the ice rather than skating

well, why not both? if reinhart were there id take him over draisaitl with our 2nd pick

Because we're Sabres fans and there is no God :nana:

Give me Reinhart. I haven't wavered from it and there's absolutely no reason for me to. He's the best player in this draft. Take him.

The ceiling just seems higher on Bennett, it's hard not to be drawn towards a player whose been hailed the modern day Doug Gilmour. I think you might have said it earlier in that the allure of Reinhart may have faded because he's been on the radar so long; there's just something about the potential/unknown in Bennett that makes you think

in my opinion we are getting to the point where we have enough big bodied guys with some skill but lacking in the skating department. I think we need another explosive player or two that can really move up and down the ice. The only decent skater on this team right now is ennis and conacher?… maybe baptiste in the prospect pool. I'm sure I'm missing a few but it seems we have a lot of guys that have some skill/size but aren't the greatest skaters. Im all for drafting reinhart but would not be disappointed one bit with bennett. draisaitl scares me a little.

in my opinion we are getting to the point where we have enough big bodied guys with some skill but lacking in the skating department. I think we need another explosive player or two that can really move up and down the ice. The only decent skater on this team right now is ennis and conacher?… maybe baptiste in the prospect pool. I'm sure I'm missing a few but it seems we have a lot of guys that have some skill/size but aren't the greatest skaters. Im all for drafting reinhart but would not be disappointed one bit with bennett. draisaitl scares me a little.

IIRC Bennett has consistently been labeled the best skater in this draft.

IIRC Bennett has consistently been labeled the best skater in this draft.

I'm not married to the notion of drafting any one player. And I'm even trying to brace myself for them going defense with Ekblad.

A few of these guys look great and I don't want to be disappointed if they don't take the one guy I decide I really like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.