Lindy Ruff at it again....

Derrico

Lack of patience and desire for instant gratification are starting to force teams to put these kids in situations they should't be in. 99% of 1st round picks should go through the proper development. Over the last few years more and more teams have put their early picks into the lineups and I think it's only hurting them. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact this has on future 'would be' superstars down the road.

Lack of patience and desire for instant gratification are starting to force teams to put these kids in situations they should't be in. 99% of 1st round picks should go through the proper development. Over the last few years more and more teams have put their early picks into the lineups and I think it's only hurting them. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact this has on future 'would be' superstars down the road.

I agree that the trend exists, but am not sure that it's for the somewhat capricious reasons you cite. The economics of the league appear to be driving this trend. And, as you note, it's a trend that seems certain to diminish the game's quality in the long-term, both by placing players in the league who shouldn't yet be there (short-term) and depriving the league of properly-developed pro players (long-term).

I agree that the trend exists, but am not sure that it's for the somewhat capricious reasons you cite. The economics of the league appear to be driving this trend. And, as you note, it's a trend that seems certain to diminish the game's quality in the long-term, both by placing players in the league who shouldn't yet be there (short-term) and depriving the league of properly-developed pro players (long-term).

I'm just basing it on sports in general. More and more teams have gone the 'won and done' route whereas in the past teams would build around a core and remain successful long-term. With free agency in sports, it's rare for this to happen any more so teams aren't as willing to hold off on prospects for a couple of years. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I agree, economics also plays a large role and to a point may share a role with the reasons I mentioned.

Nichushkin also has yet to register a single shot at even strength. I remain bullish on him long term, but as an offensive player that's no way to hold a roster spot.

Yep, that and no points and -1 through 4 games had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

A kid sitting out a game doesn't hurt when he hasn't been pulling his weight...

I'm just basing it on sports in general. More and more teams have gone the 'won and done' route whereas in the past teams would build around a core and remain successful long-term. With free agency in sports, it's rare for this to happen any more so teams aren't as willing to hold off on prospects for a couple of years. Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I agree, economics also plays a large role and to a point may share a role with the reasons I mentioned.

I have said this before and will again. Tough ######. The agreements that the NHLPA/NHL and NFLPA? and the NFL have agreed to with salary cap economics dictate that players will be younger. Not better as some vets will (Obama like) necessarily be phased out. LOL. I feel sorry for nobody but me and every fellow fan. Some GM's in all sports know how to navigate. Darcy clearly, does not. Screw you Darcy.

Yep, that and no points and -1 through 4 games had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

A kid sitting out a game doesn't hurt when he hasn't been pulling his weight...

Funny, he actually has gotten more ice time total in less games he has played in then Grigorenko has (4 games to 6 games, 14+ min to 11+ minutes) and the only difference in stats is that Nichushkin is -1 where Grigs is even

Grigs is apparently pulling his weight and shouldn't be benched so he can continue to develop though........ :rolleyes:

(Campy this was not directed at you, just used your post cause it gave Nichushkins stats)

Funny, he actually has gotten more ice time total in less games he has played in then Grigorenko has (4 games to 6 games, 14+ min to 11+ minutes) and the only difference in stats is that Nichushkin is -1 where Grigs is even

Grigs is apparently pulling his weight and shouldn't be benched so he can continue to develop though........ :rolleyes:

(Campy this was not directed at you, just used your post cause it gave Nichushkins stats)

You apparently missed that Nichushkin has yet to generate a single even strength shot. He's a goal scoring prospect who hasn't gotten a shot on goal.

You apparently missed that Nichushkin has yet to generate a single even strength shot. He's a goal scoring prospect who hasn't gotten a shot on goal.

I don't understand. So many posters here knew for a fact that Nichushkin was a guaranteed 40-goal scorer in the NHL, and that the Sabres were fools to pass on him. And some of those posters even watched some Youtube highlights of Nichushkin AND read some draft previews. Those posters couldn't be wrong, could they?

I don't understand. So many posters here knew for a fact that Nichushkin was a guaranteed 40-goal scorer in the NHL, and that the Sabres were fools to pass on him. And some of those posters even watched some Youtube highlights of Nichushkin AND read some draft previews. Those posters couldn't be wrong, could they?

Why don't you lob it even more gently for them?

Well this is a perfectly reasonable post to make after less than 10 games :rolleyes:

Although I think it is too early to tell what Nichushkin would be, I was one of the posters opposed to him not because of lack of talent but because I thought some of his talent was hyped. Ristolainen was the safe pick at 8.

Archived