Game Day Thread: 2013 home opener -- Ottawa vs. Buffalo 10/4/13

nfreeman

I was able to see the first period live, and then we watched the second and third at home (we had to leave).

We missed nothing.

I will note that the Arena had some nice chants going in the first four or five minutes. Then the music shut us down. And it really was the music; folks wold start one (for about three seconds) and then the boom-boom-boom-boom kicked in. That's gotta stop.

Also: Why I keep associating 3 with Grant Ledyard? It's not like (a) he was remarkable or (b) no one has worn it since then (eight players have). Pysyk screwed up a couple of times in the first, and I'm muttering "Dammit, Ledyard" under my breath. Weird, especially since if you asked me to name a #3, I'd come up with Richie Dunn every time.

Penultimate also: Miller played out of his mind. 23 shots in the first?!

Final also: What happened to getting guys near or at the net? Anderson had so many fat rebounds. The Sabs used to have a man near the post for that stuff--Briere was the best (and took that skill to Filly), but there were others. What the hell? Why not Ennis or CoHo in that spot to feed on rebounds and/or passes?

Tough loss, entertaining though.

Girgs! Great game. And Flynn was in on two of their best chances.

I like 25 between Ott and Ennis, it takes some pressure off, he had a couple good plays, it will come. You can see the diff between Girgs (Season in AHL, ready to move up) and Grigs (no AHL, still kinda overwhelmed).

I don't see why everyone is hating on Myers seeing as he didn't do that bad. He's not at his Rookie year level but he's 10x better than last year.

Oh, why can't we have 1 guy score! Miller played superb, the D played very solid, and we had a load of chances. I guess the good from this loss would be that we've only given up 3 goals in 6 periods and the D + Miller are playing far better than last year's team.

Grigs seemed good at times, hopefully this is a sign he's getting used to the NHL finally.

Girgs looks like a man possessed 90% of his shifts. He backchecks, forechecks, can pass and shoot. He looks like the 2 way forward we've all been dreaming of for years now.

Hodgson seems to behaving trouble due to the lack of a RW. Vanek + Hodgson do well together but Stafford seems to practically derail that pair's chemistry. Hodgson, albeit pretty bad on D seems to be stuck covering for Stafford's rushes thus limiting Hodgson's actual involvement up front.

Tomorrow I'd actually try Girgs on the RW on the 1st line for a few shifts just to see how his play goes. Stafford is like a less skilled and front of net presence Vanek, Pominville was a complement to Vanek's style while Hodgson was their facilitator. Stafford and Vanek's styles of play clash thus making Hodgson become practically unused for his skill set. Girgs may actually work in theory although he's a LW/C solely based on his play style. Hodgson and Vanek could make magic while Girgs plays the role like Ott did after Pommers departure. He could be their 2-way forward who causes chaos in the offensive zone allowing Vanek and Hodgson to do their thing.

Grigs looks far better between Ott and Ennis. Ott keeps him safe and is more defensively savvy. While Ennis gives him a target.

I'd go

Vanek-Hodgson-Girgs

Ennis-Grigs-Ott

Larsson-Porter-Stafford

Kaleta-McCormick-Flynn

Also #93: How many times did the Sabres have the puck inside of the Ottawa circles? Twice?

Look, I appreciate that with a team of limited talent, the trap is desirable for a coach. He wants to lose as few games as possible. But dammit, can we get some freaking hockey in the offensive zone? Even the great trapping Jersey teams needed to score more than 0.5 per game to win Cups.

I thought Myers had a good game. Not understanding the hate. There was a lot to like from the younguns this game. Some notable no shows. but I was entertained til about 1: 35 of the 3rd. Good game. ###### way to lose but I had a feeling. It was getting too loose there in the 3rd.

Unreal. Just like last year giving up a goal late and can't finish. Miller must b beyond pissed. Can't even get a point. Devastating.

Oh and Myers and hodgson on the ice once again for that goal. ######

Poor Miller - he must be so ready to leave Buffalo when his contract is up. One of the best goalies in the league - and his "defense" lets the opposing team take nearly 50 shots on goal at him. And he stops all but 1, and still loses the game.

Guy has a 1.50 GAA right now - and still hasn't won a game. That can't continue for a season - the goalie will get burned out or injured, et al.

And Tyler Myers is now tied with Stafford for +/- - both already at -2 for the season. Yet for some reason, Ruffton keeps trotting both of them out there for prolonged amounts of ice time. Only a fool keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting the result to differ.

Poor Miller - he must be so ready to leave Buffalo when his contract is up. One of the best goalies in the league - and his "defense" lets the opposing team take nearly 50 shots on goal at him. And he stops all but 1, and still loses the game.

Guy has a 1.50 GAA right now - and still hasn't won a game. That can't continue for a season - the goalie will get burned out or injured, et al.

And Tyler Myers is now tied with Stafford for +/- - both already at -2 for the season. Yet for some reason, Ruffton keeps trotting both of them out there for prolonged amounts of ice time. Only a fool keeps doing the same thing over and over and expecting the result to differ.

Wow. Two games in and minus 2. The sky is falling. Haven't you heard. There will be suffering. Better get used to it.

Myers, Grigo, Grgensons and Miller have played fantastically

I wonder what adjectives will be used when somebody actually scores a goal. Maybe "super duper fantastically!"

It's a rebuild that won't show much fruit for a couple years. This year will be tough, but if they can get some real value for Vanek and/or Miller then the future is much brighter.

Game thoughts:

* Ryan Miller...! Anderson, the same. Maybe they should award the US the gold right now.

* Zemgus Girgensons is a man. Can't see him going back to Rochester. Ever.

* Grigorenko has gone from "completely lost" to "starting to get it, but still a step behind." You can see the kid has talent.

* Cody Hodgson may not be a number one centre, but Rolston sure plays him like one.

* it's been a long time since the fourth line, and to a lesser extent the third were such an afterthought.

* Brian Flynn may actually be an NHL player. His speed and hustle were noticeable.

* Myers is starting to look confident in the defensive zone again, defending and with the puck. Can't wait to see him start lugging it again.

* What's up with Ehrhoff's shaky play on the point? That's usually one of his strengths.

* That was a factor in a power play that still very much sucked.

* Larsson looked tentative and Roston didn't seem to have much confidence in him. He may be in Rochester soon.

* I'm starting to wonder if Ennis has a place on this team moving forward. He can't seem to find chemistry with anyone.

* when he replaced Stafford (who had a solid, if not quite good enough game) on the Hodgson line, I said "mistake." 30 seconds later the puck was in our net.

* Maybe when Foligno's back, we gave the Ennis, Stafford Foligno line another try and put Girgensons with Hodgson and Vanek.

* I've already steeled myself for a long year. If we keep putting in those kinds of efforts and the kids improve, it will still be worth watching. That was hell of an exciting hockey game.

* I was having flashbacks to the Ted Nolan/Dominik Hasek team.

i didnt think myers was that bad. i actually thought he was way better than last game.

flynn needs to be with porter and porter with flynn. they have solid chemistry and girgs seemed to really connect when placed with them.

pysyk is great. kid is going to be a solid player.

miller....wow.

girgs looked better on his skates. but still not really clicking with anyone. hopefully armia will be the perfect fit for him.

larrson...did he get injured? i didnt notice him the last half of the 3rd.

hank was pretty solid as well.

the goal is obviously get it to vanek. if the guy gets that many shots a game, he needs to score.

everyone else....eh. nothing amazing.

go sabres. definitely a fun game to watch. i will take that over any game from last year.

Game thoughts:

* Ryan Miller...! Anderson, the same. Maybe they should award the US the gold right now.

* Zemgus Girgensons is a man. Can't see him going back to Rochester. Ever.

* Grigorenko has gone from "completely lost" to "starting to get it, but still a step behind." You can see the kid has talent.

* Cody Hodgson may not be a number one centre, but Rolston sure plays him like one.

* it's been a long time since the fourth line, and to a lesser extent the third were such an afterthought.

* Brian Flynn may actually be an NHL player. His speed and hustle were noticeable.

* Myers is starting to look confident in the defensive zone again, defending and with the puck. Can't wait to see him start lugging it again.

* What's up with Ehrhoff's shaky play on the point? That's usually one of his strengths.

* That was a factor in a power play that still very much sucked.

* Larsson looked tentative and Roston didn't seem to have much confidence in him. He may be in Rochester soon.

* I'm starting to wonder if Ennis has a place on this team moving forward. He can't seem to find chemistry with anyone.

* when he replaced Stafford (who had a solid, if not quite good enough game) on the Hodgson line, I said "mistake." 30 seconds later the puck was in our net.

* Maybe when Foligno's back, we gave the Ennis, Stafford Foligno line another try and put Girgensons with Hodgson and Vanek.

* I've already steeled myself for a long year. If we keep putting in those kinds of efforts and the kids improve, it will still be worth watching. That was hell of an exciting hockey game.

* I was having flashbacks to the Ted Nolan/Dominik Hasek team.

i hate to say it, or think it, but i kind of wonder the same thing at this point. he is very talented, but just doesnt mesh at all. maybe we keep him in hopes that the rebuild/new players that come in mesh...but i am almost to the point where we swap him out with another player via trade. who? unsure. work your magic darcy.

i didnt think myers was that bad. i actually thought he was way better than last game.

flynn needs to be with porter and porter with flynn. they have solid chemistry and girgs seemed to really connect when placed with them.

pysyk is great. kid is going to be a solid player.

miller....wow.

girgs looked better on his skates. but still not really clicking with anyone. hopefully armia will be the perfect fit for him.

larrson...did he get injured? i didnt notice him the last half of the 3rd.

hank was pretty solid as well.

the goal is obviously get it to vanek. if the guy gets that many shots a game, he needs to score.

everyone else....eh. nothing amazing.

go sabres. definitely a fun game to watch. i will take that over any game from last year.

i hate to say it, or think it, but i kind of wonder the same thing at this point. he is very talented, but just doesnt mesh at all. maybe we keep him in hopes that the rebuild/new players that come in mesh...but i am almost to the point where we swap him out with another player via trade. who? unsure. work your magic darcy.

Game thoughts:

1. It's all he can do. There's no one else to take that spot.

2. John Scott actually had one of the better Sabre scoring opportunities of the game, back in the first period. Of course, with hands of granite, well.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but I think you folks have nailed the Ennis enigma. He just doesn't seem to fit in. His passes have been garbage these past two games, and he can't find anyone to help him complete a play.

K, so I just finished watching the game, came here to smile at the hatred and what do I find? Good game? Exciting?!!! Horse ######!!!!! Score ###### goals ######!!!!

I'm pretty sure this board is going to go through the 5 stages of grief this year starting with denial. Next comes anger, see when you can spot it.

I'm with inkman, this team has very little ability.

Archived