OT: East coast Road Trip

Trettioåtta

In NYC, I'd disagree with GoDD on Chinatown and Little Italy. Chinatown is gross, especially in the summer, and there is plenty of good Italian food (and Chinese, for that matter) all over. For food, I would highly recommend Katz's deli (the famous fake ###### scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there) for pastrami and sour pickles

I disagree with this heavily. Carnegie Deli is far more superior to Katz's.

Katz's is the more well known name, but Carnegie is better.

Serendipity III is great too.

Every word of this is as wrong as wrong can be.

Having said that, the road trip crew will certainly get a great meal at Carnegie.

Serendipity III is great too.

Every word of this is as wrong as wrong can be.

Having said that, the road trip crew will certainly get a great meal at Carnegie.

:D I am tempted to try and go to both and determine the winner of this argument

That would be a strong move indeed. I would not do both in the same day though.

Do halves with a buddy. I did this a couple times with cheesesteaks. At Pat's and Geno's, we ordered one sandwich at one place, split it, then go to the other place. I did a cheesesteak ride some years ago. 10 people, 5 places, 2 cheesesteaks total at each place, so over the course of 4-5 hours I ate 2 cheesesteaks. Not that bad.

FWIW, the ride included scoring, and Tony Luke's in South Philly was the best in Philly, and a little place out here in King of Prussia won overall (although it was the first place we went, so that might skew the results).

Do halves with a buddy. I did this a couple times with cheesesteaks. At Pat's and Geno's, we ordered one sandwich at one place, split it, then go to the other place. I did a cheesesteak ride some years ago. 10 people, 5 places, 2 cheesesteaks total at each place, so over the course of 4-5 hours I ate 2 cheesesteaks. Not that bad.

FWIW, the ride included scoring, and Tony Luke's in South Philly was the best in Philly, and a little place out here in King of Prussia won overall (although it was the first place we went, so that might skew the results).

That sounds like a plan.

BTW, for anyone road-tripping to Philly for a game, Tony Luke's is pretty close to the football stadium and the hockey arena (still a drive, but only a few minutes).

No kidding. If you're there, you better be ordering the interesting stuff, like hard salami or (one of my favorites) beef tongue.

Pastrami is the thing to order at Katz's. It's their specialty and is fantastic (and is unlike any other pastrami I've had anywhere else.)

Pretty much anything will be very good at Carnegie -- but not transformative like Katz's pastrami.

Red coat would be awesome, BTW. :)

I'm a little confused as to your route there, but I think I have the gist. What might be fun is if you're going to Boston for the "Start", Yorktown, VA is between VA beach and Richmond, and where it effectively "ended". Jamestown VA is nearby, and that's the first permanent settlement in the US, another start (if I remember right).

Interesting that you're hitting Skyline drive (if we're talking about the same one, between Wanyeboro, VA at the South end and North end at Front Royal, VA). I've never done Skyline, but it turns into the Blue Ridge Parkway at the south end. I've done the BRP end to end (but not all at once), and it's a nice drive (similar to Skyline, from what I hear). I'd be really tempted to run from VA Beach to Asheville NC (1 day drive, stop in Greensboro NC for lunch). Then, Asheville to Skyline via the BRP (another day or so). Skyline can take awhile, since the speed limit is 35 and the rangers are strict. BRP is 35 and 45, but a little less strict. I love Asheville NC as well. I spent a couple days there last summer, and I'm heading down this February.

Oh, and if you do go VA Beach to Skyline directly, US17 and VA3 are nicer roads than the interstates (M-roads). They're generally 4 lanes (Dual Carriageway?), but hilly and a little windy and run thru towns. You can still make time on them, but they're more interesting. There's some great twisty backroads around there too, if you like that sort of thing I'll recommend a few.

I love that area. Once you get there, there doesn't even need to be any set destinations. Just drive, the beauty presents itself.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I happen to be a fan of turkey and bacon. What of it?

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just not the right criterion to evaluate places like Katz's and Carnegie with. It would be like going to a Sabres game and evaluating the team based on how crispy the nachos are as opposed to how the players played.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just not the right criterion to evaluate places like Katz's and Carnegie with. It would be like going to a Sabres game and evaluating the team based on how crispy the nachos are as opposed to how the players played.

Or going to the Anchor Bar, Duff's, Bar Bill, and Gabriel's Gate (to name a few) and ordering just French fries. (although my wife reports the fries at Bar Bill are pretty good)

If it'll make you feel better, I can post pics of pastrami sandwiches from both places. Results will still be the same.

I don't have a dog in the deli fight, just be prepared for two things if you go. First, a ridiculous amount of food and second, a steep price to go with it. But then hey, it's NYC afterall.

No visit to NYC should bypass McSorley's Pub.

• 5 months later...

So this is now in motion. Flights are booked (and rebooked due to my friend making a huge error about when his interviews are...)

I will be in NA from 27th July - 27th August (sadly missing independence day). The route we are planning is (the days are a rough guide):

Toronto (buddies gf lives here - personally i'd happily skip it) - 3 days

Buffalo - 1 day

Boston - 3 days

New York - 4 days

Philly - 2 days

Washington - 3 days

Asheville (via BPR) - 2 days

Charlestown - 2 days

Savannah - 2 days

St Augustine - 1.5 days

Orlando - 1 day

Obviously this is quite a tight schedule and whilst distance isn't too bad (about 2500 miles) adding in smaller places (e.g. Gettysburg) makes it a squeeze. So if anyone has any tips about cutting time down/out of cities that would be great :)

Edited by ThirtyEight

So this is now in motion. Flights are booked (and rebooked due to my friend making a huge error about when his interviews are...)

I will be in NA from 27th July - 27th August (sadly missing independence day). The route we are planning is (the days are a rough guide):

Toronto (buddies gf lives here - personally i'd happily skip it) - 3 days

Buffalo - 1 day

Boston - 3 days

New York - 4 days

Philly - 2 days

Washington - 3 days

Asheville (via BPR) - 2 days

Charlestown - 2 days

Savannah - 2 days

St Augustine - 1.5 days

Orlando - 1 day

Obviously this is quite a tight schedule and whilst distance isn't too bad (about 2500 miles) adding in smaller places (e.g. Gettysburg) makes it a squeeze. So if anyone has any tips about cutting time down/out of cities that would be great :)

Do you mean Charlestown or Charleston? I assume the latter.

Cut a day out of NYC or Charleston (or cut out St. Augustine or Orlando entirely) and add it to Buffalo. You won't be disappointed. And two days in Asheville--you're going to have an awesome time there, but you'll see most of it the first day. Try to have breakfast at Tupelo Honey. The biscuits with bacon gravy are incredible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.