The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

I have yet to figure all of it out. On average, I consume about 600 a day give or take a hundred, which I reigment more depending on how gross I feel, and then do enough physical activity to negate it all. I only seem to gain weight. I'm not lacking in energy, I tend to try to eat protein and fruit more than anything else. I'm just squishy no matter what I do. It's incredibly depressing. I guess my body's just trying to go into 'fat/mature woman' build early. I've been working at dropping the final 10 pounds for about 10 years now.

My body thinks it has to store every goddamn fat molecule just in case I decide to create spawn. It's so incredibly frustrating.

I keep telling you, it's because your caloric intake is too low.

you are right.  If you take in too few calories in a given day, your body goes into storage mode, no matter how much you burn working out.  It's a little counter intuitive, but eating a bit more may help you lose more.  

I'd plug all your data into MyFitnessPal (your weight, your goals, how fast you want to lose, etc.) and eat exactly how many calories it specifies.  Try it for a month or two and see what happens.

I'd plug all your data into MyFitnessPal (your weight, your goals, how fast you want to lose, etc.) and eat exactly how many calories it specifies.  Try it for a month or two and see what happens.

I've been doing that. It always tells me if I keep doing exactly what I"m doing, I'd weigh my low goal amount in a few weeks. 

It's been months. Well, I've been doing that app for years so... Years. 

you are right.  If you take in too few calories in a given day, your body goes into storage mode, no matter how much you burn working out.  It's a little counter intuitive, but eating a bit more may help you lose more.  

I even went and tried that for awhile. Kept the physical activity about the same, even increased it a little. Guess what? Packed on weight and went up 2 sizes. So much for that theory. 

I've been doing that. It always tells me if I keep doing exactly what I"m doing, I'd weigh my low goal amount in a few weeks. 

I even went and tried that for awhile. Kept the physical activity about the same, even increased it a little. Guess what? Packed on weight and went up 2 sizes. So much for that theory. 

well .  nevermind that then  ;)

MyFitnessPal tells you that you can eat no more than 600 calories?  I find that hard to fathom.

MyFitnessPal tells you that you can eat no more than 600 calories?  I find that hard to fathom.

Once I plug in the fitness and hit done for the day, it yells at me (especially if it's too low a number), then tells me "if every day were like today, you'd weigh 131.4 pounds in 3 weeks!" or whatever. 

I have it set to the highest loss amount, 2 pounds a week. I think that's why it allows a lower number. I guess I've just hit a plateau and I'll never get below it, which peeves me off no end. 

Edited by Josie914

Did a 2 hr ride today (not sure how far)... pics are from the reservoir at a large state park and then from the opposite end of the park looking back at the reservoir. Woo doggy. Legs are tired after some decent changes in grade, but I got a new saddle last week and that makes a huge difference in my willingness to ride for longer periods of time.

Edit:  Looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 miles.  Not much by Robin's standards, but considering my previous high was closer to 13 miles, I'm pretty happy about it!

post-1683-0-29696200-1469386687_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-23911400-1469386740_thumb.jpg

Edited by biodork

So much pain in calves since Friday.  Even into today.  That's not normal.  I mean, it would have been normal this time last year, but by now?  No.

I was overworked Friday, I guess.   It is Sunday evening and still I want Aleve.

I see all this hiking and outdoor activity stuff and I'm just over here not knowing a single person who does a lick of any of it ... And it's the type of stuff I've always been into but never able to find others to do it with (so I never do it anymore).

How does one find people that do this type of stuff without running into the woods and screaming "Hello, I'm Hoss, what's your name?" at strangers?

(side note: don't do biking for a personal reason)

Edited by Hoss

I see all this hiking and outdoor activity stuff and I'm just over here not knowing a single person who does a lick of any of it ... And it's the type of stuff I've always been into but never able to find others to do it with (so I never do it anymore).

How does one find people that do this type of stuff without running into the woods and screaming "Hello, I'm Hoss, what's your name?" at strangers?

meetup.com might help if you don't want to go it alone.

I think the kayak launch near Red Jacket rents singles, but if you have not done it before, please do NOT GO ALONE.

I hear ya. I joined an outdoor group a few years ago that does hikes. The people were fine. It was just awkward. People who didn't really know each other walking single file in the woods not talking. At least it was weird to me. There's something to be said for being out there by yourself, communing with nature. Don't let it keep you from doing something you enjoy.

Hope your hemorrhoids go away soon.

I work with a lot of people who hike, and others who are just frisbee chucking cheeba monkeys who think disk golf is a sport. :p

That said, I never go out with any of them, I just go with my wife and kid(you're young, you've got time). But I do ask them for good spots to check out. I've gone twice in the last 2 weeks and now I'm moving on to fishing!

Spent yesterday at the lake pulling out perch and sunnies. Then we went kayaking for an hour. Holy God, that was a workout....for me! Two freeloaders sitting in front of me while I worked my ass off rowing!(I'm mostly kidding, my wife rowed too) It was a lot of fun though. But it was 98 degrees and I'm still paying for it today.

Check out Meetup.com and see if there are any groups that interest you... there are tons of them out here (some better than others) for everything from hiking to snowboarding, and most are free to join! Check out the Sierra Club, too.

Edit: Eleven beat me to it about Meetup.

Edited by biodork

Check for local Facebook groups too.  Our cycling group is organized through Facebook.

I got a couple decent rides in this weekend.  Did the Saturday breakfast ride for 44 miles

Parking at the restaurant
13754143_1026849307363959_87538521472964

Waiting for the food.
13775811_1026849284030628_21614037060780

Then Sunday our usual pub crawl. I got 28 miles in.
13698234_1027770707271819_11287047153355

Sometimes we have to do some field repairs.
13735765_1027770977271792_42820092135459

But the beer and comradeship is worth it.
13725023_1027770993938457_21801959982689

Edited by Robin Egg

I am constantly in awe of you all and your long distance biking/running abilities. As a collegiate athlete in men's volleyball, I was always in pretty good shape, but I made a point early on to choose sports that I could use my athletic ability without all the running and endurance type activities. 

I could never really get into running for "fun". :(

If that's what you have, you may try getting rid of the knobbies and putting on slicks to reduce rolling resistance.

If I were going to buy a new bike and it would be my only bike, I'd probably go with a cyclocross bike.  They have the go-fast philosophy of a road racer, but are a little more rugged for taking urban and light trail abuse.

If that's what you have, you may try getting rid of the knobbies and putting on slicks to reduce rolling resistance.

If I were going to buy a new bike and it would be my only bike, I'd probably go with a cyclocross bike.  They have the go-fast philosophy of a road racer, but are a little more rugged for taking urban and light trail abuse.

I should have emphasized that I had a mountain bike. Don't know where it ended up in my move to four different apartments/live with both parents post-college phase.

Don't know about getting into a new one now, but by the pictures you post it sure looks appealing. It's the time that is the biggest deterrent.

I am constantly in awe of you all and your long distance biking/running abilities. As a collegiate athlete in men's volleyball, I was always in pretty good shape, but I made a point early on to choose sports that I could use my athletic ability without all the running and endurance type activities. 

I could never really get into running for "fun". :(

It's not fun. It's soul sucking. But there seems to be a nice endorphin release when you're done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.