This Whole "suffering" Comment - It Means Nothing

CallawaySabres

No, not recently given the Cane's roster woes prior to the transition they started in earnest last year. But E. Staal is miles ahead of Vanek in the "ability to be a game changer" category in my opinion. I'd rather have E. Staal then Vanek everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Eric Staal has no eyebrows.

Have to laugh, even Duvall from the Tonawanda News is calling for the firing of Regier now.

The circle is just about complete, TBN, TTN, all that is missing is every sound off in the Community paper saying Fire Regier Already :P

It'll be interesting to see if there's a general backlash against "suffering." It seems like it's been generally accepted around these here parts. Pegula still gets the benefit of the doubt that he's got a smart plan to win a Cup. That disappoints me a bit because I think he still deserves to be grilled, and comments about future owners and "financial viability" can argue that things have changed for a different reason. I've actually shown restraint in my comments of late. If most think this rebuild makes sense and will work, who am I to argue? :)

To the original point. The Sabres feast on "low information" fans. The arena is full because apparently the vast majority really don't know what's going on or care. But my impression is that most also have thought things aren't that bad, give it some time, wait till next year. And the losing has been pretty mild. It hasn't gotten really bad. When it got fairly bad last season, there were empty seats and $5 tix on StubHub, and that's when Rolston rallied them a bit.

I have to stick to my guns and say when Pegula and his bean-counters see the revenues draining away, things will change dramatically. Regier will be gone, and the product on the ice will improve dramatically, in a hurry.

Yeah, we've seen time and again a team hit rock bottom and then be a contender a year or two later. Montreal comes to mind as a recent example. Down here in Nashville, the Preds had one of the worst records last year. So they picked up 5 reasonably priced free agents, drafted Seth Jones, and away they go. Instant playoff contender from a fan perspective. Bringing in new free agents is something you can sell to the fans, regardless of whether they succeed. Free agents represent hope, and fans only want to have a sense of hope before they pump money into watching a team. Telling fans to be prepared for 3-4 years of agony is a total failure in a marketing sense (something that I know more than a little bit about).

At least Carolina has Staal x2, Skinner and Ward. That's a start of a core that can be built from. Buffalo has Miller, Vanek, and Myers and seems keen on running them out of town.

At least Carolina has Staal x2, Skinner and Ward. That's a start of a core that can be built from. Buffalo has Miller, Vanek, and Myers and seems keen on running them out of town.

Miller is going to be 33 this month. He's too old to build around at this point. Vanek doesn't want to re-sign with a team (run by idiots) mired in a (half-assed) rebuild.

Heck, the suffering has already begun. It has been painful to watch as other eastern conference teams improve (or at least take a run at improving) while the Sabres stand pat. I didn't expect the Sabres to go out and sign a Jerome Iginla or even a Danny Briere (provided that either of those two guys would have considered coming here). I did think they may have pulled off a trade or two to bring a "name" player in for a season or so to "mentor" some of the youngsters. Oh, wait - they brought in Tallinder. Wow, let me go raid my bank account to make a down payment on a mini-pack.

I guess the "plan" really is to just populate next year's roster with the young guys and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe in a year or two, they'll try to sprinkle in some free agents and make a playoff run. But in the meantime, the team will have the Lee brothers playing for them : Ug Lee and Home Lee.

One person I really feel badly for in all this is Rick Jeanneret. I think he has delayed retiring for at least a couple of years based on the "promise" that Pegula made about a winning team. Now, with that team apparently several years into the future, it puts RJ in a tough situation. I think he would love to call the game where the Sabres finally win a Stanley Cup, but if that team is still years into the future, does he hang 'em up now or try to soldier on?

Plenty of suffering to go around.... :(

you know i wanted this team to trade vets and tank fir two years now so we could "suffer" but be on our way to contender... instead we have rallied for two years and ###### up 2 drafts... suffering for me has been ongoing.

you know i wanted this team to trade vets and tank fir two years now so we could "suffer" but be on our way to contender... instead we have rallied for two years and ###### up 2 drafts... suffering for me has been ongoing.

Exactly... Hey, do you think Pegula has part ownership of some brewery or distillery? 'Cause what he's done so far has made a lot of us fans want to drink more...LOTS more.

Exactly... Hey, do you think Pegula has part ownership of some brewery or distillery? 'Cause what he's done so far has made a lot of us fans want to drink more...LOTS more.

lol maybe...

I should clarify that by screwed up 2 drafts I mean drafted lower instead of tanking. I like the last 2 drafts personally (Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov)

However if we had tanked those could have looked much different... (Galchenyuk, Girgensons, Barkov, Zadorov)

lol maybe...

I should clarify that by screwed up 2 drafts I mean drafted lower instead of tanking. I like the last 2 drafts personally (Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov)

However if we had tanked those could have looked much different... (Galchenyuk, Girgensons, Barkov, Zadorov)

See, it IS all about booze - you used the words "draft" and "tanked". It would take more than 2 drafts to get me tanked, though... :w00t:

"I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

-Only 231 season ticket holders.

10,000 of those renewing are looking forward to selling their tix to fans of the visiting teams.

That is the ULTIMATE show of support.

Archived