This Whole "suffering" Comment - It Means Nothing

CallawaySabres

To me, it does not mean the Sabres are going to be a bottom dweller. I think it means we have about 2-3 years to contend and it ends all this Pegulamania, sole reason garbage. The fact of the matter is they stated that they want this team (as it stands right now) to be tough to play against. I think the size, toughness and leadership qualities are in the pipeline and at the end of next year (when the cap goes up), FA will be a key ingredient to round out this team.

I believe we will see a hard nosed team this year that will be a hell of a lot more respected than the crap they rolled out last year. I still believe Myers is the lynch pin and IF he can get back on track, the team will be a lot further along than expected. Myers, Risto, Weber, Girgs, Ott and Foligno will hold the fort down until the top offensive prospects reach their potential.

Anyhow, I don't seem to think this team is as far away as many others do. Playoffs this year? Don't really care as long as a team identity is formed. If they say the goal is to be tough to play against, make it so (win or lose.)

After reviewing the historical actions of the GM (Regier, Darcy, lack of action man due to lack of pressure to perform his job) combined with his choices at the draft today, not the selections themselves, merely the lack of balls. The true ability to sell what is needed to get done what needs getting done, I've come to the conclusion that the "whole suffering comment" was as true as they come......

Prepare to feel the pain my friend.......

After reviewing the historical actions of the GM (Regier, Darcy, lack of action man due to lack of pressure to perform his job) combined with his choices at the draft today, not the selections themselves, merely the lack of balls. The true ability to sell what is needed to get done what needs getting done, I've come to the conclusion that the "whole suffering comment" was as true as they come......

Prepare to feel the pain my friend.......

No way the pain is worse than last year, no way.....

I expect nothing. I take the 'suffering' tag literally. It will be painful watching Gerbe, Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Leino, Grigorenko, Porter and Flynn try to score goals. None of them are true goal scorers. I don't expect Vanek to be here, but if he is, it will simply mean that a trade for him is even more unlikely. Resign him? Are you crazy? He wouldn't be worth the cap hit he'd require. Plus he doesn't want to wait until Darcy's chemistry experiment is concluded.

Meanwhile on D we can watch Risto try to match the NHL speed and rink size, Myers attempt to play like he cares, Ruhwedl and Pysyk attempt to defy the sophomore blues, with only Ehrhoff, Weber, and Sulzer as reliable but average defensemen.

Of course in goal we will have Enroth (If Miller is still there refer to Vanek above). Untried for the long haul with no proven backup.

Oh yeah, I'm real optimistic. Like I said before, Darcy must be aiming at a high draft pick next year. Unfortunately that class won't be as talented and deep as this one.

Prepare for a lot of suffering!!!

If your Vanek its confirmation that you need to move on. If your a FA it means avoid becoming a Sabre. If your a fan it means another mediocre season. If your management it means business as usual. If your Pegula it means throw money at the city in an attempt to distract them. Your right, the comment means nothing.

It is all Miller and Vaneks fault. They are not worth their cap hits, they have consistently underperformed and cannot carry the team offensive or defensively .Bring in the the diaper laden youth. LOL ...............some fans are simply,................................amazing...

To me, it does not mean the Sabres are going to be a bottom dweller. I think it means we have about 2-3 years to contend and it ends all this Pegulamania, sole reason garbage. The fact of the matter is they stated that they want this team (as it stands right now) to be tough to play against. I think the size, toughness and leadership qualities are in the pipeline and at the end of next year (when the cap goes up), FA will be a key ingredient to round out this team.

I believe we will see a hard nosed team this year that will be a hell of a lot more respected than the crap they rolled out last year. I still believe Myers is the lynch pin and IF he can get back on track, the team will be a lot further along than expected. Myers, Risto, Weber, Girgs, Ott and Foligno will hold the fort down until the top offensive prospects reach their potential.

Anyhow, I don't seem to think this team is as far away as many others do. Playoffs this year? Don't really care as long as a team identity is formed. If they say the goal is to be tough to play against, make it so (win or lose.)

Okay I'll play. Just throwing this together quickly, so don't crucify me if everything doesn't make perfect sense, the purpose is to get a picture of what the lineup may look like.

Vanek(?)-Hodgson-Stafford

Ennis-Grigorenko-Leino

Ott-Porter/Larsson-Foligno

Flynn-McCormick/Porter-Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Pysyk

Weber-Myers

McNabb-McBain

Ruhwedel

Miller

Enroth

Convince me that team is close to the playoffs, even remotely coherent, and/or has an identity. And for fun, how about we consider subtracting Vanek and Miller from that? Yikes.

Okay I'll play. Just throwing this together quickly, so don't crucify me if everything doesn't make perfect sense, the purpose is to get a picture of what the lineup may look like.

Vanek(?)-Hodgson-Stafford

Ennis-Grigorenko-Leino

Ott-Porter/Larsson-Foligno

Flynn-McCormick/Porter-Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Pysyk

Weber-Myers

McNabb-McBain

Ruhwedel

Miller

Enroth

Convince me that team is close to the playoffs, even remotely coherent, and/or has an identity. And for fun, how about we consider subtracting Vanek and Miller from that? Yikes.

Take out Miller and Vanek while adding Armia, Girgs and Risto. If they are rebuilding, then you add the young guys. I am not looking for this team to make the playoffs this year, the point was to say they will be a hell of a lot tougher to play against.

Take out Miller and Vanek while adding Armia, Girgs and Risto. If they are rebuilding, then you add the young guys. I am not looking for this team to make the playoffs this year, the point was to say they will be a hell of a lot tougher to play against.

The youngest team in the NHL with 3 rookie defenders, a bunch of young one-dimensional forwards, and a "rookie" starting goaltender sounds pretty easy to play against to me :P

On a serious note, I'm apparently in the minority, but I want Girgs to spend the entire year in Rochester being the man and playing center in all situations, rather than wing in sheltered minutes like this year (I think Larsson is much more likely to get NHL time than Girgs). I also want Armia to at least start in Rochester to adapt to the NA game, although I'd still expect him in the NHL at some point next year. Even adding Ristolainen, that's another rookie on the blue line, although I suppose a Brodin-like rookie year if he's paired with Ehrhoff isn't impossible.

The youngest team in the NHL with 3 rookie defenders, a bunch of young one-dimensional forwards, and a "rookie" starting goaltender sounds pretty easy to play against to me :P

On a serious note, I'm apparently in the minority, but I want Girgs to spend the entire year in Rochester being the man and playing center in all situations, rather than wing in sheltered minutes like this year (I think Larsson is much more likely to get NHL time than Girgs). I also want Armia to at least start in Rochester to adapt to the NA game, although I'd still expect him in the NHL at some point next year. Even adding Ristolainen, that's another rookie on the blue line, although I suppose a Brodin-like rookie year if he's paired with Ehrhoff isn't impossible.

Well I suppose I am in the minority as I think that while this team will struggle, it is going to be a lot more fun to watch and and really get behind (effort wise).

I agree about Girgs. Larsson will play in the NHL next season. Armia has a big enough body that i think that will allow him to adapt fairly quickly - also he is a skilled player, so that should help. Ristolainen, Armia, Grigo, Larsson, Pysyk - that is a lot of rookies to integrate into a team.

Ron Rolston is the right coach for this team. I think he could be a gem and i think he will be holding this team together. Either way, we are not making the playoffs

Well I suppose I am in the minority as I think that while this team will struggle, it is going to be a lot more fun to watch and and really get behind (effort wise).

I'm not looking forward to paying my season ticket bill for this team in this kind of long rebuild.

And that's where we differ. I don't find a terrible team that tries really hard any more entertaining than a terrible team that has talent but doesn't try hard. At this point I'm pretty on board with a full rebuild, but I have no delusions about enjoying the product before the rebuild is near complete.

I'm not looking forward to paying my season ticket bill for this team in this kind of long rebuild.

Look on the bright side. In the past 15 years, your seasons have given you access to a really entertaining team for what, a third of those years? If the rebuild works (I know it's an if, but bear with me), then the majority, rather than the minority, of the next 15 years it should be pretty awesome to have season tickets.

And that's where we differ. I don't find a terrible team that tries really hard any more entertaining than a terrible team that has talent but doesn't try hard. At this point I'm pretty on board with a full rebuild, but I have no delusions about enjoying the product before the rebuild is near complete.

Look on the bright side. In the past 15 years, your seasons have given you access to a really entertaining team for what, a third of those years? If the rebuild works (I know it's an if, but bear with me), then the majority, rather than the minority, of the next 15 years it should be pretty awesome to have season tickets.

I've only had them since 2009, so half of those years. Regardless, just to keep my seats, I'm looking at spending a huge amount of money to watch terrible hockey for the next three years.

Look at the roster. I don't think Rolston can even dream of being the slightest bit competitive without trapping. It's going to happen, best to accept it now :)

So boring.

So what happens to these players this year - Hodgson, Myers, Grigorenko and Foligno? Who makes the team out of Grigs, Armia, Gergs, Risto, Larsson and McNabb? Does anybody know what this team will REALLY look like? Why do we have to assume last year is going to be the permanent label on players? Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that could have gone wrong last year did. Vanek and Miller will NOT be traded for draft picks, there will be NHLers coming back to us. They will not replace the production of those two but they will contribute and be a part of this team moving forward.

Look at the roster. I don't think Rolston can even dream of being the slightest bit competitive without trapping. It's going to happen, best to accept it now :)

I grew up watching the mighty ducks films. I have hope we pick the flying V over the trap :P

So what happens to these players this year - Hodgson, Myers, Grigorenko and Foligno? Who makes the team out of Grigs, Armia, Gergs, Risto, Larsson and McNabb? Does anybody know what this team will REALLY look like? Why do we have to assume last year is going to be the permanent label on players? Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that could have gone wrong last year did. Vanek and Miller will NOT be traded for draft picks, there will be NHLers coming back to us. They will not replace the production of those two but they will contribute and be a part of this team moving forward.

They should be traded for players 23-25 age range, who will be 'vets' (25-28) by the time some of the younger guys slot in

While we don't know for sure what the team will look like, we can make a pretty good educated guess that what we have today will be what we have on opening night aside from maybe a couple of players different. Regier isn't going to suddenly turn over 35% of the roster. I'm not nearly as convinced as you that Vanek and MIller return legitimate NHL players. Vanek will probably net 1-2 depth players, a pick and a prospect (in the vicinity of the Gaborik and Nash trades), and the reported asking price for Miller was a pick, high end prospect and mid-level prospect. If we trade them both, I think we get a max of 2 depth players, and the rest more futures.

Archived