This Whole "suffering" Comment - It Means Nothing

CallawaySabres

To me, it does not mean the Sabres are going to be a bottom dweller. I think it means we have about 2-3 years to contend and it ends all this Pegulamania, sole reason garbage. The fact of the matter is they stated that they want this team (as it stands right now) to be tough to play against. I think the size, toughness and leadership qualities are in the pipeline and at the end of next year (when the cap goes up), FA will be a key ingredient to round out this team.

On the contrary - I think Regier's statement rings very true. I don't see this team making the playoffs at all and to me, that IS another year of suffering. Oh, and I'm sure teams like the Bruins will be shaking in their skate boots when they see Ennis or Gerbe bearing down on them in a forecheck. So much for size...

I believe we will see a hard nosed team this year that will be a hell of a lot more respected than the crap they rolled out last year. I still believe Myers is the lynch pin and IF he can get back on track, the team will be a lot further along than expected. Myers, Risto, Weber, Girgs, Ott and Foligno will hold the fort down until the top offensive prospects reach their potential.

I haven't quite given up on Myers...yet. If he struggles again next season, it may be time to move him on to another team. I don't think he is comfortable in the role of defensive savior. He played much better when he was a rookie and not much was expected of him. Pushing him to be our #1 defenseman may be too much for him to handle...again.

Anyhow, I don't seem to think this team is as far away as many others do. Playoffs this year? Don't really care as long as a team identity is formed. If they say the goal is to be tough to play against, make it so (win or lose.)

Actually, I think you need to make the playoffs TO form a team identity. If your team is truly tough to play against, finishing at least 8th should be very attainable. And if you ARE going to miss the playoffs, you may as well finish at the bottom and improve your draft status.

As for the "sole reason garbage", Pegula brought it on himself. I didn't see anyone twisting his arm when he made those comments. At the time, I thought his estimation of three years to having a Cup contender was way off base. He may have made the statement out of a combination of enthusiasm and naivete. He thought he could build a Cup contender on the exisitng foundation of the team. Two years later, everyone could see that wasn't working, so now they are tearing it all down and starting from scratch. If Pegula was thinking ahead, he could have torn the team down right away and we'd now be going into the third year of the rebuild; maybe such a team could make some playoff noise. But, it seems as though he and Darcy are making this stuff up as they go along. What happens in two years if the team doesn't jell and we are still finishing three points out of a playoff spot? Does he give Darcy another "free pass" and let him try another complete overhaul? It's tough to demand accountability from your players when your GM is never held accountable....

Not great stats? I thought he was the NHL career leader in saves?

He's pretty much Mario...

Everyone talked about him for years before he did his best work....He has his own line of wine....He was at the top of his game and had a horrible setback in health then disappeared for awhile....only to come back and do it again. Then, only when things looked their worst and people had lost faith, he comes back YET AGAIN and saves the community from the antichrist (Bettman).....and leads them to glory from the throne.

Yes, paying for season tickets, year after year to watch mediocre to bad hockey gets old. I know from first hand experience. If I knew it was going to be bad, I'd rather see what the younger players can do and find out what the future looked like.

Yes, paying for season tickets, year after year to watch mediocre to bad hockey gets old. I know from first hand experience. If I knew it was going to be bad, I'd rather see what the younger players can do and find out what the future looked like.

The point of view of an outsider has been interesting. Alot of the convo on this site is whether the rebuild here is thorough enough. It sounds like from an outsiders perspective (well, N=1 anyway) that it is looked at around the league as a very thorough rebuild.

I am not excited about watching a team this season that is probably going to be about as bad as a Sabres team has been historically. But I am really juiced to see a bunch of kids with tons of potential to play.

The problem is, this is the exact same plan that Darcy instituted in 2007 and it failed horribly. We had guys who had already shown results, and they were expected to grow together and leadership gel from within. Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Connolly, Stafford, Gaustad.........the only difference this time is that we are supposedly going to get something for our 2 FA to be stars instead of letting Briere and Drury walk for nothing. Now here we are 7 seasons later, and the new owner is letting the same person who failed....institute the exact same plan....the same buzzwords are being used, "leadership from within", "new, young core". The only thing that has changed are the names. Myers, Ennis, Hodgson........you can't even count guys like Grigerenko, etc. because they have shown zero to date. The original core were all 20-30 goal scorers by the time the torch was handed off, and they couldn't even manage to win 1 playoff series all these years......and that was with what 70% here would claim was "An Elite Coach". It's a very depressing scenario for a logical fan who isn't in denial....and unfortunately, that doesn't seem to include the owner.

I feel your pain about being frustrated with your GM. Many Canes fans have been ready to take up the torches and pitchforks and storm the PNC Arena offices to run off JR. Of course, our GM is a minority owner of the team, so, ain't happening.

I think in the new NHL (post lockout 3.0), the secret to building long term success comes from building a strong pipeline of young players that work their way into the lineup and sprinkle in the occasional free agent. This is going to require a Detroit Redwings approach to scouting and development. Some of these younger players would get traded just before UFA status to bring in additional picks to keep the pipeline flowing. It seems like your organization is now going this route. Even after this lockout, many GMs are continuing to hand out the same insanely big dollar deals that got them in trouble to begin with. I don't care what rules they put in place, GMs can't be saved from themselves.

I feel your pain about being frustrated with your GM. Many Canes fans have been ready to take up the torches and pitchforks and storm the PNC Arena offices to run off JR. Of course, our GM is a minority owner of the team, so, ain't happening.

I think in the new NHL (post lockout 3.0), the secret to building long term success comes from building a strong pipeline of young players that work their way into the lineup and sprinkle in the occasional free agent. This is going to require a Detroit Redwings approach to scouting and development. Some of these younger players would get traded just before UFA status to bring in additional picks to keep the pipeline flowing. It seems like your organization is now going this route. Even after this lockout, many GMs are continuing to hand out the same insanely big dollar deals that got them in trouble to begin with. I don't care what rules they put in place, GMs can't be saved from themselves.

2 of the best league execs recently said they see the Cap going close to the $75 million range after next season. If you sit back and wait 4 years, and you hit homeruns....it can work. If the best GM can draft at a 50% clip of contributors, and you start from scratch....you need to hit closer to 60-70% to build a contender. If it's 30%, you are a bottom dweller for the next decade. That's what scares me. We are entrusting a GM who has not developed 1 single forward who can score 15-20 goals and play a physical game, over the course of going on 17 years. He is sprinkling some guys in now who may have that potential, but again, you can have 10 of these 18-21 year olds in the pipeline, and if you hit at 70% you are the Bruins. If you hit at the average rate you are the Coyotes or Jets.....if you come in less than average you are the.......Sabres still.

2 of the best league execs recently said they see the Cap going close to the $75 million range after next season. If you sit back and wait 4 years, and you hit homeruns....it can work. If the best GM can draft at a 50% clip of contributors, and you start from scratch....you need to hit closer to 60-70% to build a contender. If it's 30%, you are a bottom dweller for the next decade. That's what scares me. We are entrusting a GM who has not developed 1 single forward who can score 15-20 goals and play a physical game, over the course of going on 17 years. He is sprinkling some guys in now who may have that potential, but again, you can have 10 of these 18-21 year olds in the pipeline, and if you hit at 70% you are the Bruins. If you hit at the average rate you are the Coyotes or Jets.....if you come in less than average you are the.......Sabres still.

I just posted this on the main Canes board in a thread about player development.

"Just look at the Canes roster for significant players drafted and "developed" by the Canes. EStaal, Skinner, Ward, Faulk, and...crickets. Now, look at farm system and think of who is ready (maybe) to make the leap. Rask and...crickets. We are hoping that Murphy and Lindholm can bypass Charlotte and jump in, but that's a big jump. Of all the guys mentioned, the lowest draft selection is Rask taken at 42nd overall. That speaks volumes to me about the quality of scouting and development the Canes have."

I think you and I feel the same about the direction of our teams.

I just posted this on the main Canes board in a thread about player development.

"Just look at the Canes roster for significant players drafted and "developed" by the Canes. EStaal, Skinner, Ward, Faulk, and...crickets. Now, look at farm system and think of who is ready (maybe) to make the leap. Rask and...crickets. We are hoping that Murphy and Lindholm can bypass Charlotte and jump in, but that's a big jump. Of all the guys mentioned, the lowest draft selection is Rask taken at 42nd overall. That speaks volumes to me about the quality of scouting and development the Canes have."

I think you and I feel the same about the direction of our teams.

. I agree both our GMs seem to be bottom of the heap what amazes is me is that's JR was able to build a cup,winning team once at least. Maybe Darcy can get that lucky as well someday.

. I agree both our GMs seem to be bottom of the heap what amazes is me is that's JR was able to build a cup,winning team once at least. Maybe Darcy can get that lucky as well someday.

And we are grateful for that Cup, but he hasn't been able to build any momentum since. That has hurt the franchise from a fanbase development angle. I'll never buy that that Cup was a fluke. You don't win the toughest "tournament" in sports by winning 16 games against the top competition a "fluke". I do however think he caught lightning in a bottle coming out of the lockout when the games were being officiated differently. Hockey has gradually gotten back to the way it was before in what the officials are doing and JR hasn't been as successful. It's really odd though to be complaining about a GM that has seen his team go to 2 SCF's, 3 ECF's, and hoist the Cup on home ice over a 12 year period. I do think that the miracle run in 09 to the ECF set this team back. Karmanos and Rutherford thought the team was close and kept it together and added a couple of pieces that following summer trying to get over the top. That ended up being a major disaster.

My issue is that Raleigh is a small market and is never going to have the following or money that the so called traditional markets enjoy. It is so important for the Canes to draft smart and develop players, or else you end up with the band aid approach to building a team. Yes, Darcy sold the rebuild to you once before, but at least he is trying something different, and is addressing the need to bring in young talent. You don't know how often that I have sat in the arena thinking "Damn JR, just blow this up and let's see what the kids can do". Of course, there were no kids ready to come to Raleigh. If I am going to watch my team lose, I want to see what the future is going to look like, not just useless losses.

Buffalo has done that, it did appear to work in the post 2.0 lockout as the "clutch and grab" style of hockey went away, but then, a hybrid combo of both open and C&G hockey has surfaced. But in the end, regardless of the style of hockey, pipeline talent has to have some elite status characters in it or your team ends up looking like the Sabres circa 08 - 13, that's not a recipe for success as has been proven.

At least the Cane's have E. Staal, a player that can change the fortunes of a game, Vanek, albeit good, is no E. Staal.

Buffalo has done that, it did appear to work in the post 2.0 lockout as the "clutch and grab" style of hockey went away, but then, a hybrid combo of both open and C&G hockey has surfaced. But in the end, regardless of the style of hockey, pipeline talent has to have some elite status characters in it or your team ends up looking like the Sabres circa 08 - 13, that's not a recipe for success as has been proven.

At least the Cane's have E. Staal, a player that can change the fortunes of a game, Vanek, albeit good, is no E. Staal.

I think Vanek is just as good as Staal, he just plays a less important position. Vanek is, or damn close to, a top-5 LW in the league. I don't think Stall sniffs the top-5 center list. Maybe it's semantics, but it's not like Staal has gotten the Canes any farther than Vanek recently.

I think Vanek is just as good as Staal, he just plays a less important position. Vanek is, or damn close to, a top-5 LW in the league. I don't think Stall sniffs the top-5 center list. Maybe it's semantics, but it's not like Staal has gotten the Canes any farther than Vanek recently.

No, not recently given the Cane's roster woes prior to the transition they started in earnest last year. But E. Staal is miles ahead of Vanek in the "ability to be a game changer" category in my opinion. I'd rather have E. Staal then Vanek everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

Archived