Sabres pick #35 JT Compher

spndnchz

Enroth is not a prospect, but no he isn't that promising. I see him as an alright NHL starter at best. If we trade Miller I think we will really see Enroth's inconsistency - some games he will be very good, others he will simply cost them the game.

Hackett 2 years ago would have got be excited. He was traded because he became an AHL back-up goalie because his game had gone to ###### ever since he had his first stint in the NHL. If Miller isn't traded, which he probably won't be now, Hackett is back to being an AHL back-up goalie for the season

Makarov is the most promising prospect we have, i almost excluded him from my generalisation, but he is still nowhere near as sure a thing as Fucale. Scouts said they have never seen a guy his age dominate the crease like he does. For a team that for 20+ years has built from the net out we are now in a situation where there is nothing in front of us. No replacement

Now people will say well it hasn't worked so far. Well that is true. However, we have two scoring prospects, Armia and Grigorenko. That is it. Our cupboard is bare.

No, really its not. You couldn't be more incorrect.

No, really its not. You couldn't be more incorrect.

He's not far off.

The Sabres have two prospects with a ton of potential for offense. One is a moody weirdo who dropped to us in the draft because teams didn't like his attitude (Grigorenko) and the other is a scoring winger who suffered TWO concussions in one season last year (Armia). It's not looking awesome.

He's not far off.

The Sabres have two prospects with a ton of potential for offense. One is a moody weirdo who dropped to us in the draft because teams didn't like his attitude (Grigorenko) and the other is a scoring winger who suffered TWO concussions in one season last year (Armia). It's not looking awesome.

Moody weirdo? Do you all just make this stuff up as you go?

Edited by Numark

Fucale was of great value in the position that he fell to. Sabres would have been wise to have grabbed him there.

If you can get an "almost sure thing" in the 2nd round, you take him. Idc how many goaltending prospects the Sabres already have. It's an important position.

Great goaltending can win cups. Moreoften recently than a team full of Crosbys, Malkins, Iginlas, Neals, etc.

Freak.

Aberration, abortion, anomaly, chimera, curiosity, geek, grotesque, malformation, miscreation, misshape, monster, monstrosity, mutant, mutation, oddity, ######, rarity, sport, weirdo.

Choose one. Choose them all!

Fucale was of great value in the position that he fell to. Sabres would have been wise to have grabbed him there.

If you can get an "almost sure thing" in the 2nd round, you take him. Idc how many goaltending prospects the Sabres already have. It's an important position.

Great goaltending can win cups. Moreoften recently than a team full of Crosbys, Malkins, Iginlas, Neals, etc.

Goaltenders may he the least sure thing in the draft, regardless of talent level. I was on board with Fucale in the second, but he's still a huge question mark.

I am sick about this pick.

I will admit that I know nothing about this Compher kid, but I will tell what I do know.

Firstly, I want to thank the board for indulging me on my Fucale kick. Most of you probably viewed it as amusing, funny, stupid ...

When we got to the second round I knew Fucale would go early. We knew that Montreal was very interested. Then when Montreal took someone else just before the Carolina pick I thought wow here is a golden opportunity for Darcy to be a real GM. Then the trade was announced. Darcy actually did it. He traded a good player to a conference rival to get the next pick and beat Montreal to Fucale. Like a real GM. I was absolutely beside myself. Then in a split second Darcy went back to being Darcy. I hope this kid is the real deal. I have watched Fucale for two years ... he is the real deal. Good for Montreal. They have Price who is a good goalie, but now they have their replacement for Roy. I am that confident in Fucale. At least I will probably get to enjoy Fucale play in Halifax for the next two, or three, years. And I won't have to hate him in Montreal, as they are the only other team that I like. At least he is not in Boston, or Philly.

I am very confident when I say that Montreal, with Fucale, will win their 25th Cup before the Sabres win their first. 25 Cups in 100 years vs. 0 cups in 40+ years.

Way to go Darcy. Why did I expect anything else.

I love the absolute over-reaction to players whom we don't know and other guys we 'think' will work out in 5 years. I am absolutely fine taking this kid over Fucale.

So basically what you're saying is we should be emotionless about this draft because we have no flippin' clue how good the players taken will be. You seem pretty excited about Zadorov :P ;)

I've read his height anywhere from 5-10 to 6-1. Anyone know the truth?

I pretty sure it was 5'11 175 at the combine.

check that 177....

He really reminds me of Ryan Callahan - which is a guy I think anyone wants on your team.

Edited by X. Benedict

So basically what you're saying is we should be emotionless about this draft because we have no flippin' clue how good the players taken will be. You seem pretty excited about Zadorov :P ;)

I think when it comes to the entry draft in general the attitude towards draftees should be optimism since there is really no reason to be down on a player before they've had their shot.

But to counter that, I think optimism needs to be restricted to something modest and reasonable. These kids aren't anything to get excited about yet either. Their careers up to this point are meaningless to us as Sabres fans until they actually play for us.

Kevin Devine press conference, verbatim "Once we had our two defensemen, obviously we were looking for forwards. We had JT at the end of the first round. He's a guy that Ron Rolston was very familiar with, playing in the (National Team) Development Program. A real high-character guy, kind of a real Chris Drury/Ryan Callahan combination guy. Once we thought he was sliding a little bit, we didn't think he was going to get to 38 (th overall), so we did target him (in the trade with Carolina), yeah."

While I'm really not familiar with Compher, it is puzzling that the pick wouldn't have been the best goalie in the draft, who had slipped a few spots and was available. I really thought that was what the trade was for at the time. With the reports of Miller being shopped, it kind of makes sense, from the outside looking in.

There was speculation among some Canes fans that Fucale would be scooped up if available at that pick, and nobody thought he'd still be on the board.

Edited by superdave

While I'm really not familiar with Compher, it is puzzling that the pick wouldn't have been the best goalie in the draft, who had slipped a few spots and was available. I really thought that was what the trade was for at the time. With the reports of Miller being shopped, it kind of makes sense, from the outside looking in.

Right but between, Hackett, Enroth, Ullmark, Makarov, Lieuwen, and the guy we took in this draft Petersen, I would guess the thought in management is that one of these guys will be our new starter at some point. The first 4 have a good shot at becoming solid NHL GT's.

Right but between, Hackett, Enroth, Ullmark, Makarov, Lieuwen, and the guy we took in this draft Petersen, I would guess the thought in management is that one of these guys will be our new starter at some point. The first 4 have a good shot at becoming solid NHL GT's.

That's why I said "from the outside looking in". I didn't know your organization's depth at goalie. Canes have no depth at any position in the system, especially in goal. Justin Peters was supposed to be the guy, but he keeps crapping the bed every time he gets a chance.

I guess you only need one goalie at any one time, but 12 forwards.

Edited by superdave

That's why I said "from the outside looking in". I didn't know your organization's depth at goalie. Canes have no depth at any position in the system, especially in goal. Justin Peters was supposed to be the guy, but he keeps crapping the bed every time he gets a chance.

I guess you only need one goalie at the time, but 12 forwards.

No no you are good. I mean outside of Enroth we don't know what any of the other guys can do at the NHL level. Those that I listed look promising so we shall see. Ullmark really impressed me at the prospect game last year with how he moved and followed the play but that is just against Sabres prospects. Time will tell. As for Carolina, I just looked at your defense... dear god wtf? I think Sekera may be your best defender now. Your GM should have been drafting defense instead of more forwards. the good news is Lindholm is a really good 2way player so maybe Jordan and Elias can be defensive forwards.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.