Sabres pick #35 JT Compher

spndnchz

While I'm really not familiar with Compher, it is puzzling that the pick wouldn't have been the best goalie in the draft, who had slipped a few spots and was available. I really thought that was what the trade was for at the time. With the reports of Miller being shopped, it kind of makes sense, from the outside looking in.

There was speculation among some Canes fans that Fucale would be scooped up if available at that pick, and nobody thought he'd still be on the board.

:wub:

As for Carolina, I just looked at your defense... dear god wtf? I think Sekera may be your best defender now. Your GM should have been drafting defense instead of more forwards.

Ya think?

JR has made it known in the past that he doesn't like to draft defensemen with high picks because they take a long time to develop and by the time they do, they are ready to go to free agency. He would rather take forwards because they are a more immediate impact. That still leaves a need to find those defensemen somewhere. It is too costly to sign a good defenseman in free agency. That only leaves the trade route. What team wants to trade away a good defenseman unless he is on a bad contract?

He did take Ryan Murphy high last year, but at his size, he isn't going to be a crease clearer or an attention getter from a physical point of view. He is another "puck mover" and the Canes need a "puck stopping" defenseman occasionally. Murphy will hopefully eventually be in the top 6, but he was in juniors still last year because he wasn't old enough for AHL duty. He came up to the big club for a few games on an emergency call up, and didn't look bad.

JR also has a habit of trading 2nd round draft choices for other players who were drafted a few years earlier but who haven't exactly lit the world on fire, like Riley Nash (drafted 21st overall by the Oilers in 2007) and Bobby Sanguinetti (drafted 21st overall by the Rangers in 2006). Nash ended up with the Canes as an overslotted 3rd line center last year and Sangs can't make the squad with our pitiful defense. In my opinion, JR likes to find too many band aids and not a cure. Sekera is another nice pickup, and yet, another band aid in my opinion.

Ehrhoff and a 2nd for Jeff Skinner. Would JR ever do that?

My opinion of Ehrhoff is that he is a good #1/great #2 defenseman. He was a +6 logging the hardest minutes on a horrible Sabres squad last year. He's solid as a rock in his own end and would be awesome QBing Staal, Staal, Semin, and (whoever the Canes 5th PP player would be?).

He's on a great contract with most of the money already paid up front. 4 mil cap hit.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/121

My opinion of Ehrhoff is that he is a good #1/great #2 defenseman. He was a +6 logging the hardest minutes on a horrible Sabres squad last year. He's solid as a rock in his own end and would be awesome QBing Staal, Staal, Semin, and (whoever the Canes 5th PP player would be?).

He's on a great contract with most of the money already paid up front. 4 mil cap hit.

I guess the better question would be why would Buffalo do that?

I don't know about JR, but it would have to be tempting. Getting Ehrhoff fixes the defense for a few years. Put him with the rest of the current Canes D, and you get a respectable squad. Losing Skinner is tough, but I really don't like his contract and JR needs some flexibility. No offense, but if Buffalo is rebuilding, that 2nd is going to be closer to a 1st than a 3rd.

It would give Buffalo a young forward going forward. It may be a good hockey deal both ways, but each fanbase would bitch that both sides got robbed.

I don't know about JR, but it would have to be tempting. Getting Ehrhoff fixes the defense for a few years. Put him with the rest of the current Canes D, and you get a respectable squad. Losing Skinner is tough, but I really don't like his contract and JR needs some flexibility. No offense, but if Buffalo is rebuilding, that 2nd is going to be closer to a 1st than a 3rd.

It would give Buffalo a young forward going forward. It may be a good hockey deal both ways, but each fanbase would bitch that both sides got robbed.

Buffalo has like eight 2nds next year.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

JT Compher will be returning to college this fall for at least 1 more season at UoM. The fact he wants to understand what the coaching staff expects is interesting to me. Seems like a pretty bright kid. I hope he does well in camp.

WGR 550@WGR550

Compher says he will return to UofM next year, but likes getting an idea what the NHL coaching staff expects

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.