Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Crosby was great in the playoffs at generating, he just ran into some really bad luck and didn't, which can happen to even the best over a small sample. It's like the inverse of running into a hot goalie who performs well above his talent level.

I think that this is probably right. And is there much you can really say to limit a player like Crosby? You can't just simply say, "keep him to the outside." Things like that are much easier said than done. However, if anyone could find a flaw in his game it would probably be his coach who see's him practice every day and regardless is scared as hell to coach against him. However, coach's get payed big bucks too for noticing things about opponents and developing a strategy to exploit/limit them. All I am saying is that as coach of USA, Bylsma had to at least try to figure how to stop his star player and shared that with his team. Maybe he could explain the likelihood of offensive moves or it could be he notices something as small as he becomes slightly off balance as he goes from forehand to backhand. Whatever strategy he came up with and whether or not it had any impact is debatable but if I were Pittsburg management I would not be happy my coach was at the Olympics.

IMO, the Penguins should give serious consideration to moving either Crosby/Malkin. This is a team that is seriously underachieving and in desperate need of a wake-up call. They can hang on to both and find themselves in a tough situation like the Canucks are in with the Sedin twins.

IMO, the Penguins should give serious consideration to moving either Crosby/Malkin. This is a team that is seriously underachieving and in desperate need of a wake-up call. They can hang on to both and find themselves in a tough situation like the Canucks are in with the Sedin twins.

Interesting. I would take a shot with another coach and retool around Crosby/Malkin, but trading one of them (probably Malkin) would go a long way towards retooling. You'd have to assume the Pens would be able to get a kings ransom of good young talent.

Subban recently turned 25 and apparently his Dad told him something to the effect that it was time to grow up. He seems to have taken the old mans advice. Imo with PK there will still be some growing pains because of the big personality but he's turning into one heck of a hockey player.

I didn't like the guy up until this season when I happened to watch a few Montreal games early in the season. I think I noted here at the time that I could understand the hype, but his maturation really didn't show. This PK, though, I dig.

I just read that his bridge contract ends after this season. Do I have that right? Um, you think Murray is on this?

Edited by sizzlemeister

I didn't like the guy up until this season when I happened to watch a few Montreal games early in the season. I think I noted here at the time that I could understand the hype, but his maturation really didn't show. This PK, though, I dig.

I just read that his bridge contract ends after this season. Do I have that right? Um, you think Murray is on this?

There's no way Montreal lets him go. Unless we convince them to hire Darcy.

Edited by d4rksabre

PK Subban has always been one of my favorite players in the league... I have just always been afraid to admit it around these parts.

Subban is a more mature player this year.

Many of us didn't think he deserved the Norris - and I still don't think he did.

But the Conn Smyth? No doubt he should be in the Conn Smyth discussion.

I gotta admit - PK Subban is a great player! Not just points and scoring - his defensive work, particularly his penalty kill effort is tremendous and effective. Good things generally happen for the Habs when he's on the ice, and that's about the best thing that can be said for any NHL player - to consistently make a positive difference for team.

And who would have ever thought that the Habs would come off as the classy team in that series? Boston and their fans solidified their status as bottom feeders, no matter how many wins they have or may have in the future.

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I'm totally about to watch Ghostbusters at my desk. Well played sir.

At 1:05 he says it is not about money it is about winning. hmmmm we shall see.

Yea I kinda think his next contract will be in the Shea Weber realm, less but in that realm if he has his way.

I gotta admit - PK Subban is a great player! Not just points and scoring - his defensive work, particularly his penalty kill effort is tremendous and effective. Good things generally happen for the Habs when he's on the ice, and that's about the best thing that can be said for any NHL player - to consistently make a positive difference for team.

And who would have ever thought that the Habs would come off as the classy team in that series? Boston and their fans solidified their status as bottom feeders, no matter how many wins they have or may have in the future.

Wait--who didn't think the Habs would come off as the classier team?

Well, I probably should phrase it this way. Boston is SO classless, they actually made the low-class Habs SEEM classy in comparison. That takes some doing, but I have faith in Boston exceeding the bar for scummery. And they'll continue to do so aided by the NHL and that slimy weasel Bettman.

Subban is a more mature player this year.

Many of us didn't think he deserved the Norris - and I still don't think he did.

But the Conn Smyth? No doubt he should be in the Conn Smyth discussion.

The maturity is so glaringly obvious right now. Just look at those interviews. He almost looks psychic with his "we want to win this our way" comments after game 6. Lucic's antics put that one on prime display.

I know I am. And I hated him before this series.

Yep, he definitely seemed to turn a corner in his game. Still physical, cut down on the cheap shots, and remained above the line in terms of handshake-gate with the attitude of a winner. I'm impressed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.