Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Louis Jean@LouisJean_TVA7m

The #Habs turn down a trade. Details at 6:30 on @TVASports

Pretty interesting. Don't normally get to hear the details of these things. Wonder if it's Parenteau related.

Brian Burke, the Calgary Flames not GM, "Phone activity has picked up drastically. I am working the phones hard and have tried to make a few trades but no luck. We will look to move O'Brien and obtain some salary to make it work. Any free agents that don't sign by March 5th will be on their way to the airport."

I'm hoping that's what that three lane driveway is there: massive underground parking ramp that goes 10 stories down below the water table.

I saw that after I posted.

The rink I play in in Hackensack has four sheets and is busy all the time. I could easily see Brooklyn (and L.I.) supporting nine. In fact, I could see it stealing business from my rink. A couple of guys on my old team used to drive almost 2 hours from L.I. to play here.

Just realized Vanek has been a PPG player in his 38 games on the Island. His career high in points is 84. He's only on pace for 73, though, due to him missing some games which would tie his second-best output.

Not to mention, the league was a little different when he got his 84. Amazing how he goes to a better team (not even good, just better!) and produces like an elite forward. Playing with Tavares is the one reason I wouldn't be shocked to see him re-sign there.

I bet 4 of those rinks get turned into parking. Riding the subway with a hockey bag and sticks sucks.

Pretty excited about this. It's going to do a lot for hockey in NY.

It was pretty controversial during the planning phase (it's being built in a decommissioned armory). Local residents wanted retail and basketball facilities. People from greater NY saw the potential of a National Ice Center.

I spoke with a couple of City Council members about this project, and reminded them of the success of the Ice Hockey in Harlem program has had in exposing kids to hockey who would never have had the chance to play, or even been introduced to the game.

Hopefully this works out on an even larger scale. I'd love to see kids from the Bronx playing in the NHL in 20 years.

It was pretty controversial during the planning phase (it's being built in a decommissioned armory). Local residents wanted retail and basketball facilities. People from greater NY saw the potential of a National Ice Center.

I spoke with a couple of City Council members about this project, and reminded them of the success of the Ice Hockey in Harlem program has had in exposing kids to hockey who would never have had the chance to play, or even been introduced to the game.

Hopefully this works out on an even larger scale. I'd love to see kids from the Bronx playing in the NHL in 20 years.

I'm surprised they didn't cut out a couple of rinks and make them Basketball courts. Its not like they don't have the space to remove a rink or 2 and put some courts in there instead and appeal to everyone

I'm surprised they didn't cut out a couple of rinks and make them Basketball courts. Its not like they don't have the space to remove a rink or 2 and put some courts in there instead and appeal to everyone

There are not enough basketball courts in New York City? (My mind just exploded!)

Everywhere I have been, you do not have to walk far to find a park with a basketball court...not to mention, they're cheap to construct.

As for the article itself...so much for "Hockey Heaven" being in Buffalo, eh?

Another question is, will it effect the HarborCenter?

Another question is, will it effect the HarborCenter?

I think it's more likely to compete directly with the Schwan's Super Rink in Minnesota rather than the Harbor Center.  Schwan's is currently the largest in North America with 8 rinks.

As far as basketball courts and making everyone happy the development group is contributing $8 million toward a 50,000-square-foot space within the armory for the community to build out any way it wishes.  So if they want a basketball facility they can have that too.

Edited by Tom Backyard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.