2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Last summer Collier was saying he wouldn't trade Girgensons for the 1st overall pick (MacKinnon). He gets a little nuts watching these guys in Rochester.

He was also begging for Leggio to get an NHL shot. I like Coller a lot, but you're spot on with this--he gets carried away with Rochester players. I wonder how much of that is intentional so he gets good interviews/answers with them.

Another goal and an assist for Baptiste last night, he's up to 40 goals and 79 points on the season as of this morning through 59 GP.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nick-baptiste/

I wonder how often this is updated. It seems that Baptiste has made strides. And no player should be considered a "long shot to make the Sabres."

http://www.hockeysfu.../nick-baptiste/

I wonder how often this is updated. It seems that Baptiste has made strides. And no player should be considered a "long shot to make the Sabres."

This came up in another thread recently, but I take HockeysFuture's stuff with a serious grain of salt at this point. Their ratings still say Catenacci and Ruhwedel both have higher ceilings than Girgensons. I don't think they update enough and I'm not sure how they decide on their ratings.

I don't want to criticize them too much either, since figuring out what 18 year olds are going to be even a year from now seems wildly difficult.

FWIW, if Carrier had the same numbers in the OHL this season that Baptiste does, I'd be over the moon about getting him. Baptiste is just having a monster year and hopefully it's the real deal.

Well, hopefully the Wolves crap out of the playoffs, the Rangers don't make it, etc., and we can get some of these prospects some time in Rochester. (I know, every Amerks fan now wants me dead.)

The Wolves are good but the Rangers are just about the worst team in the OHL. I wouldn't mind adding Baptiste to the Amerks but Bailey is much more likely. But would we sign him this early?

The Wolves are good but the Rangers are just about the worst team in the OHL. I wouldn't mind adding Baptiste to the Amerks but Bailey is much more likely. But would we sign him this early?

Good point; forgot that they'd have to burn that year of an entry level contract. Oh well. I'll go back to hating the rule that will keep Baptiste in juniors longer than necessary. (I don't really think Bailey is ready.)

Good point; forgot that they'd have to burn that year of an entry level contract. Oh well. I'll go back to hating the rule that will keep Baptiste in juniors longer than necessary. (I don't really think Bailey is ready.)

They wouldn't have to burn a year. These guys can sign an amateur tryout contract with the Amerks. That doesn't burn any time.

I'd like to see what Bailey could do on an OHL team that isn't completely terrible. But, yeah, he's not ready anyway.

We drafted him as a *very* raw prospect and he'll need extra time. He's still not even close to growing into his 6'3" frame. Figure he's another guy who gets at least a couple seasons in Rochester before we think of putting him in for the Sabres.

I'd like to see what Bailey could do on an OHL team that isn't completely terrible. But, yeah, he's not ready anyway.

We drafted him as a *very* raw prospect and he'll need extra time. He's still not even close to growing into his 6'3" frame. Figure he's another guy who gets at least a couple seasons in Rochester before we think of putting him in for the Sabres.

And thankfully we now have a GM who appears more than willing to give prospects the time they need to develop.

And thankfully we now have a GM who appears more than willing to give prospects the time they need to develop.

Other than Grigorenko, did we rush anyone else? Pominville got over 200 AHL games (and put up points pretty quickly after arriving, so the temptation would have been there to bring him up early). Miller played most of three seasons in the AHL. This is skewed by the 2004-2005 lockout but we definitely didn't rush those guys.

I think the Grigorenko thing took on a life of its own and we ended up treating him more like a PR gimmick than a young player. It was egregious but not the norm.

Other than Grigorenko, did we rush anyone else? Pominville got over 200 AHL games (and put up points pretty quickly after arriving, so the temptation would have been there to bring him up early). Miller played most of three seasons in the AHL. This is skewed by the 2004-2005 lockout but we definitely didn't rush those guys.

I think the Grigorenko thing took on a life of its own and we ended up treating him more like a PR gimmick than a young player. It was egregious but not the norm.

It certainly wasn't a problem historically, so maybe it was an artifact of this debacle of a roster, but it could have trended that way. I don't think Ristolainen and Zadorov were handled particularly well before Regier got canned. Even Larsson, who I advocated for on the team, is probably benefiting more from playing in the AHL than being on the Sabres. Regier had even said in several interviews that the game is changing and young players contribute sooner. Grigorenko is obviously the only egregious example, but there were some other things pointing to Regier changing how he did things.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Seeing how stacked Florida now is at Center, and how they don't have much on the back-end as far as prospects go...

Would you trade one of Pysyk or McCabe and one of Zadorov or Ristolainen, and a 1st round pick...for Alexander Barkov or Nick Bjugstad?

Or any combination of 2 high quality, young defenders (Myers?) and draft picks...to get a high quality center prospect from Florida?

(Far-fetched? Sure...But, humor me here, I am bored out of my mind, lying in a hospital bed...with no end in sight to this bull**it...I need some entertainment.)

Seeing how stacked Florida now is at Center, and how they don't have much on the back-end as far as prospects go...

Would you trade one of Pysyk or McCabe and one of Zadorov or Ristolainen, and a 1st round pick...for Alexander Barkov or Nick Bjugstad?

Or any combination of 2 high quality, young defenders (Myers?) and draft picks...to get a high quality center prospect from Florida?

(Far-fetched? Sure...But, humor me here, I am bored out of my mind, lying in a hospital bed...with no end in sight to this bull**it...I need some entertainment.)

Get well soon... isn't the front office saga enough for you?

Article from HF, about our Top 20 Prospects: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104413/buffalo-sabres-feature-a-strong-collection-of-talent-in-spring-top-20/#more-104413

This note on Carrier is actually good news if you're wondering about his numbers from this year:

16. (NR) William Carrier, LW, 7.0D

Trade with St. Louis Blues, February, 28th, 2014

Carrier's season-ending ankle injury limited him to 34 games last year, but still managed to score 16 goals. A year later, the injury still seems to be affecting his play, with just 17 goals in 60 games so far. A talented forward, Carrier does not shy away from physical play and was in-demand at the QMJHL trade deadline, before landing in Drummondville. The Sabres have a lot of prospects, and Carrier finds himself on a lower rung in Buffalo's system. He has not broken out offensively yet, but the Sabres will be patient with him.

Hopefully he's still not quite 100% and will be able to take it up a notch next year.

I'm not really sure I agree with how they ranked everyone, but it's worth a look.

@bcostellothn

Prospects 6-10 in Future Watch 2014: 6. Kuznetsov, Wsh, 7. Ristolainen, Buf, 8. Zadorov, Buf, 9. Wennberg, Clb, 10. Mantha, Det.

How nice is it to see our future #1 pair and co-first round draft picks in that top 10?

Thanks 26. I look for your handle every time and I'm never disappointed.

GO SABRES!!!