Would you do this to land the number one pick?

Hoss

So we can all agree that it's going to take an arm, a leg and your favorite pet to get the first overall pick (or into the top three for that matter). I think there's a way to do it, though.

The teams picking in the top five are going to want players in order to move their picks. To get to the first pick, you're going to have to first trade up into the top five so Colorado doesn't fall too far. So how about this:

BUF trades Thomas Vanek to Nashville for the number four overall pick.

Nashville really needs offense. They may desire a young piece to be included in the deal or another pick (midlevel prospect or a second rounder).

Then we turn around and deal the fourth pick and Tyler Myers to the Avs for the first overall pick.

To get this done and land Nathan MacKinnon, we'd likely have to assume a small bit of Myers' contract (but we'll have so much cap space that this part is completely irrelevant). To sweeten the deal, we could add a second rounder and/or take back a bad contract from the Avs.

Would you do this?

(Essentially giving up Myers, Vanek and maybe a mid-round pick and/or prospect to land Nathan MacKinnon).

Obviously I would considering I'm posting this.

So we can all agree that it's going to take an arm, a leg and your favorite pet to get the first overall pick (or into the top three for that matter). I think there's a way to do it, though.

The teams picking in the top five are going to want players in order to move their picks. To get to the first pick, you're going to have to first trade up into the top five so Colorado doesn't fall too far. So how about this:

BUF trades Thomas Vanek to Nashville for the number four overall pick.

Nashville really needs offense. They may desire a young piece to be included in the deal or another pick (midlevel prospect or a second rounder).

Then we turn around and deal the fourth pick and Tyler Myers to the Avs for the first overall pick.

To get this done and land Nathan MacKinnon, we'd likely have to assume a small bit of Myers' contract (but we'll have so much cap space that this part is completely irrelevant). To sweeten the deal, we could add a second rounder and/or take back a bad contract from the Avs.

Would you do this?

(Essentially giving up Myers, Vanek and maybe a mid-round pick and/or prospect to land Nathan MacKinnon).

Obviously I would considering I'm posting this.

Can teams trade players and still assume part of their contracts?

If Nashville is willing to give up the #4 pick for Vanek I would make that deal. I would then pick 4th, 8th and 16th.

If Colorado is interested in Myers? I would look for their 2nd rounder this season #32 and their 1st next year in return.

Looking to pick up the #1 overall pick is exciting and would make for some great conversations. I just don't think it is the right move for this franchise considering where they are.

No way in hell I lose Vanek, Myers AND take part of Myers contract just to get the #1 pick. No way! Putting all your eggs in one basket is a stupid move, not to mention taking a risk on somebody who's never played in the league. No #1 pick is worth that much.

No way in hell I lose Vanek, Myers AND take part of Myers contract just to get the #1 pick. No way! Putting all your eggs in one basket is a stupid move, not to mention taking a risk on somebody who's never played in the league. No #1 pick is worth that much.

It's still way too much to give up for an unproven rookie.

I just don't follow this reasoning, at least if we assume Vanek won't re-sign (not guaranteed, but I think this is the safe money). We'd be trading 1 year of Vanek, in which we're unlikely to be a contending team, Myers, and a few million dollars for somebody who has a favorable chance of being a perennial all-star and will be on a cheap contract for years. Myers is no more guaranteed to be the guy he's capable of than the #1 pick. I just don't see how that's an unreasonable trade. IMO every rebuilding team needs a foundational, cornerstone piece to build around--MacKinnon is that guy.

The first trade with Vanek yes, but only with a 4th rounder coming to Buffalo too. :P

The 2nd trade I disagree with its price

Myers, the 8th pick and a 2nd next year should be enough seeing as although Myers has been lessening in value; he still has a lot.

Miller for the 11th is weak and it would be stupid to trade Miller to a rival franchise who Buffalonians despise.

I just don't follow this reasoning, at least if we assume Vanek won't re-sign (not guaranteed, but I think this is the safe money). We'd be trading 1 year of Vanek, in which we're unlikely to be a contending team, Myers, and a few million dollars for somebody who has a favorable chance of being a perennial all-star and will be on a cheap contract for years. Myers is no more guaranteed to be the guy he's capable of than the #1 pick. I just don't see how that's an unreasonable trade. IMO every rebuilding team needs a foundational, cornerstone piece to build around--MacKinnon is that guy.

Sorry, I just don't see any of the top 3 being worthy of that much. I don't see any draft pick period being worth that much. Of course that is dependent on whether or not Vanek wants to stay and an extension is in the works. Vanek is worth much more than people are giving him credit for.

Vanek, hell yah, give the Sabres the fourth for that. If they can get seven or higher for Myers, ship his lazy ass out of town for that, too. This team has NOTHING going for it the next few seasons as it is, may as well stock up on real talent.

I don't know why people are subscribing to this notion that it's going to take a few years to rebuild.

Seems obvious to me. I do not see anything indicating the Sabres can be a contender within a few seasons.

I would move Miller, Vanek, Myers, Sekera, #8 and #16, and three future 2nd round picks to pick #1 & #2 and select Drouin and MacKinnon. Make it happen. Lol.

Edit: Good chance this is the biggest overpayment ever. But i don't care really. That would be exciting.

I don't know why people are subscribing to this notion that it's going to take a few years to rebuild.

Seems obvious to me. I do not see anything indicating the Sabres can be a contender within a few seasons.

The Sabres said as much themselves. We have "suffering" to look forward to in the near future. That was Regier's word. This franchise hasn't hit rock bottom yet. The next couple of seasons will be rock bottom.

The first trade with Vanek yes, but only with a 4th rounder coming to Buffalo too. :P

Myers, the 8th pick and a 2nd next year should be enough seeing as although Myers has been lessening in value; he still has a lot.

Miller for the 11th is weak and it would be stupid to trade Miller to a rival franchise who Buffalonians despise.

I would do whatever it takes to land the number 1 pick. Then take MacKinnon. He would be the cornerstone.

I would also like to do whatever it takes to pick Drouin.

Pipe dream, though.

Technically you could:

#1 pick + next years 3rd rounder for Myers and the 8th (Potential #1 D-Man + Former Calder Trophy winner and the 8th overall)

#3 pick for Miller (Tampa needs a goalie in order to make the playoffs)

#4 pick for Stafford, McNabb/Sekera and the #16 (Nashville is looking for scoring and a top 4 D man)

Suddenly we draft 1,3,4 without touching Vanek who may want to stay with that much skill arriving albeit young.

1. MacKinnon

2. Jones

3. Drouin

4. ????

If Florida take Drouin, we take Jones with 3 or 4

As discussed numerous times in other threads Miller to Philly would involve more than just the 11 pick. I also don't think we have anything to fear about the divisional rival thing.

The Sabres said as much themselves. We have "suffering" to look forward to in the near future. That was Regier's word. This franchise hasn't hit rock bottom yet. The next couple of seasons will be rock bottom.

Since when did we start trusting Darcy?

Archived