Would you do this to land the number one pick?

Hoss

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a different team than some here. Hodgson was one of the few bright spots this season and definitely a guy I want on the team going forward.

I'm with you buddy. Cody is young and had shown good vision and offensive hockey sense. Put him with some wingers who don't constantly miss the net and he'll be a great player. All the haters seem to want guys who bang without acknowledging that some of the best centers in the league are what they'd define as "soft". But there's no stopping the negativity train this time of year. Chugga Chugga.

For example, does Hodgson fit the Sabre's vision of a new, improved, contending roster? I hope not, actually, based on what I've seen. Do they give him another season to see what he develops into? Haven't we been through that enough already to know the wait-and-see strategy doesn't work here...not with the players Regier finds. Stafford, Myers, and Gerbe come to mind pretty quickly.

:huh: What? This is some sort of joke right? You are not seriously suggesting the bright spot that is Cody Hodgson, who led all sophomores in scoring, who actually improved as the season went on unlike many on the team, the kid who combined with Vanek was lethal, that Cody Hodgson you don't want on your team? Why? Because he isn't defensively as good as Chris Drury was? Damn kid why haven't u shown up more in your 68 games as a #1 center!!!!

In all seriousness, Cody Hodgson is right on track to be a solid 1B or 2A Center. He works hard, has a good shot, is a team player, and should do wonders in a full season. I keep Vanek because of CoHo, they have Chemistry and work but that doesn't mean Cody doesn't do just fine on his own.

Hodgson is the shiny new toy, once the newness wears off many will be singing a different tune.

damn you Cody Hodgson! Why can't you do more! Take on the entire opposing team single handed or something!!!

o wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxmW7R3XtU

this argument is getting old and dumb. it ranks right along side lets trade Miller to Tampa... you know the team that just got 2 shiny new young GT. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

:huh: What? This is some sort of joke right? You are not seriously suggesting the bright spot that is Cody Hodgson, who led all sophomores in scoring, who actually improved as the season went on unlike many on the team, the kid who combined with Vanek was lethal, that Cody Hodgson you don't want on your team? Why? Because he isn't defensively as good as Chris Drury was? Damn kid why haven't u shown up more in your 68 games as a #1 center!!!!

In all seriousness, Cody Hodgson is right on track to be a solid 1B or 2A Center. He works hard, has a good shot, is a team player, and should do wonders in a full season. I keep Vanek because of CoHo, they have Chemistry and work but that doesn't mean Cody doesn't do just fine on his own.

I'll just say that if he ends up as that,… on a Cup contender, I would be pleasantly surprised. I see him more as a 2B or 3A center,… on a Cup contender.

I'm with you buddy. Cody is young and had shown good vision and offensive hockey sense. Put him with some wingers who don't constantly miss the net and he'll be a great player. All the haters seem to want guys who bang without acknowledging that some of the best centers in the league are what they'd define as "soft". But there's no stopping the negativity train this time of year. Chugga Chugga.

Which top 6 centers on the remaining four teams in the playoffs are "soft"?

Hodgson had a good season for a skilled center, but who wants to make the argument that these playoffs, and last season's for that matter (prior seasons notwithstanding), are being won solely on skill? Ask Vancouver or Minnesota how that worked out for them.

I love how it's all of sudden "hate" when a team darling is criticized - criticized no differently than the team dog of the month. Hodgson is this off-season's darling by attrition; people have accepted Vanek and Miller will more than likely not be here this season, definitely not after this next season. Who else is there for the numbers guys to point to?

But that IS the issue - this teams has NOTHING going for it right now.

Which top 6 centers on the remaining four teams in the playoffs are "soft"?

Hodgson had a good season for a skilled center, but who wants to make the argument that these playoffs, and last season's for that matter (prior seasons notwithstanding), are being won solely on skill? Ask Vancouver or Minnesota how that worked out for them.

I love how it's all of sudden "hate" when a team darling is criticized - criticized no differently than the team dog of the month. Hodgson is this off-season's darling by attrition; people have accepted Vanek and Miller will more than likely not be here this season, definitely not after this next season. Who else is there for the numbers guys to point to?

But that IS the issue - this teams has NOTHING going for it right now.

Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Krejci, all guys who are not hard hitting gritty forwards but I would argue are more along the lines of Cody Hodgson or more accurately Cody is more along their lines. No one is criticizing CoHo but a few because he hasn't done anything to warrant it. Explain exactly why you believe Cody Hodgson is not good or going to be?

I should add their is a big difference between the concept of "gritty forward" and the reality of "battling forward"

Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Krejci, all guys who are not hard hitting gritty forwards but I would argue are more along the lines of Cody Hodgson or more accurately Cody is more along their lines. No one is criticizing CoHo but a few because he hasn't done anything to warrant it. Explain exactly why you believe Cody Hodgson is not good or going to be?

I should add their is a big difference between the concept of "gritty forward" and the reality of "battling forward"

And yet I see Cody losing the puck battle in the corners to all of these guys.

The play you showed us was Cody going through an "entire team" (one that didn't make the playoffs, btw) in open ice with a bunch of stick checks. There is no open ice in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds. Gaps get smaller or nonexistent and games are won by winning battles in close while getting the ch!t beat out of you.

You're right, though. Up to this point, he's done everything right and maybe he's got it in him. I just am not sure he can be that type of player.

The play you showed us was Cody going through an "entire team" (one that didn't make the playoffs, btw) in open ice with a bunch of stick checks. There is no open ice in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds. Gaps get smaller or nonexistent and games are won by winning battles in close while getting the ch!t beat out of you.

You're right, though. Up to this point, he's done everything right and maybe he's got it in him. I just am not sure he can be that type of player.

3 of those 4 players are all stars and at least 2 will be HoF guys.

So we should give up on Cody because we haven't made the playoffs in really only 1 season he has been there so he won't be able to. We have no idea how CoHo will play in the playoffs but I personally think he has it in him.

Also "What type of player" are you referring too?

I'll just say that if he ends up as that,… on a Cup contender, I would be pleasantly surprised. I see him more as a 2B or 3A center,… on a Cup contender.

Then you seriously overvalue centers on other teams.

So we should give up on Cody because we haven't made the playoffs in really only 1 season he has been there so he won't be able to. We have no idea how CoHo will play in the playoffs but I personally think he has it in him.

I never said we should give up on him and I already said what kind of player. A bunch of fancy moves in open ice is great for the highlight shows and TSN's POTY, but playing a physical game and winning physical battles gets you to the later stages of the playoffs (and I'm not talking about just hitting, which can be a bit overrated,…slightly). He can be a piece of the "new core". I just don't think he should be the centerpiece, as some have suggested.

Some people just hate for the sake of hating. The Sabers could win 40 games in a row and they'd find something to bitch about. It's the Harrington Syndrome.

I never said we should give up on him and I already said what kind of player. A bunch of fancy moves in open ice is great for the highlight shows and TSN's POTY, but playing a physical game and winning physical battles gets you to the later stages of the playoffs (and I'm not talking about just hitting, which can be a bit overrated,…slightly). He can be a piece of the "new core". I just don't think he should be the centerpiece, as some have suggested.

Detroit and Chicago are two of the softest teams in the league. One came within a goal of being in the conference finals, one IS in the conference finals. Pittsburgh isn't the grittiest team in the league either.

If Boston can win a Cup with David Krejci in their top-6, we can win one with Hodgson (assuming his development continues...if he stagnates that's another story). Somebody like Jeff Carter wasn't considered Mr. Playoffs by any stretch (he was a frequent scapegoat in Philly), and then suddenly he matured as a player in LA--at age 27. Hodgson is 23.

I think Cody plays tough along the boards. He works hard and battles, again I don't know how that translates to the playoff grind. None of us do right now. Not to mention he is 23, he won't reach his potential for another couple years. I just have no desire to be negative about him when there are so few positive things we have.

Some people just hate for the sake of hating. The Sabers could win 40 games in a row and they'd find something to bitch about. It's the Harrington Syndrome.

It sure beats the Battered Wife Syndrome that other fans suffer from.

Detroit and Chicago are two of the softest teams in the league. One came within a goal of being in the conference finals, one IS in the conference finals. Pittsburgh isn't the grittiest team in the league either.

I'm not one of those that thinks you need to fight or hit to be a gritty team (although, it obviously helps), so I pretty much disagree with this entire thought.

I would trade up if the price was reasonable, but it will be a ridiculously high price so the answer is definitely NO!

If I was the GM I would keep the 8th and 16th with the possibility of moving up from 16 to something like 11 or 12 if a highly desired prospect is still on the board. Similar to what they did to get Girgensons.

I would shop Vanek and Miller, but everyone in the league knows the Sabres are shopping and the price will be lower than expected unfortunately.

If I was the GM I would not panic. Trust the scouts and use the draft picks wisely. Do not over pay for a desperation move up the draft board.

It's too bad they won so many games at the end of the season that only achieved worsening their draft position.

If Cody Hodgson stays exactly where he is right now, he'd be a rock solid 2nd line center on almost any team in the league. If he takes another step like he did last year he'll be a great center and a huge asset for the Sabres. Anyone who thinks there's no room on the roster for a player like this have extremely unrealistic expectations.

I would trade up if the price was reasonable, but it will be a ridiculously high price so the answer is definitely NO!

If I was the GM I would keep the 8th and 16th with the possibility of moving up from 16 to something like 11 or 12 if a highly desired prospect is still on the board. Similar to what they did to get Girgensons.

I would shop Vanek and Miller, but everyone in the league knows the Sabres are shopping and the price will be lower than expected unfortunately.

If I was the GM I would not panic. Trust the scouts and use the draft picks wisely. Do not over pay for a desperation move up the draft board.

It's too bad they won so many games at the end of the season that only achieved worsening their draft position.

I agree with most of that. If Vanek wants to stay I think Darcy needs to do what's necessary to keep him long term. If he wants out, use Miller and Vanek wisely in trades. But like you said, if the price to move up is too high, don't do it. I don't like selling everything for one player, especially one that's not proven. I'd rather build one solid all around team than sell everything to rely on one player.

I never said Hodgson wasn't good or won't pan out to be a skilled forward. I asked "does Hodgson fit the Sabre's vision of a new, improved, contending roster?" and followed it with "I hope not, actually, based on what I've seen." Which is to say I haven't seen anything yet that indicates he will be a "battling forward" worthy of a top 6 slot on a contending team. Stanley Cup contending team to be exact.

As part of the point, I have tried to remind people that the Sabres famously like to give players time to develop. Perhaps others here are more patient, but I have tired of waiting for potential to develop. What about getting players on the roster who are more than just potential?

Or, what about building a team with a plan? Who are they going to put on Hodgson's wings to bring the best out of him, and he them best out of them? This point is old here, now: we can't simply look at players' stats in a vacuum, which is what seems to be Darcy's M.O. It doesn't work. Grrr....

I'm angry...I wish the damn complaint thread were open today.

I never said Hodgson wasn't good or won't pan out to be a skilled forward. I asked "does Hodgson fit the Sabre's vision of a new, improved, contending roster?" and followed it with "I hope not, actually, based on what I've seen." Which is to say I haven't seen anything yet that indicates he will be a "battling forward" worthy of a top 6 slot on a contending team. Stanley Cup contending team to be exact.

As part of the point, I have tried to remind people that the Sabres famously like to give players time to develop. Perhaps others here are more patient, but I have tired of waiting for potential to develop. What about getting players on the roster who are more than just potential?

Or, what about building a team with a plan? Who are they going to put on Hodgson's wings to bring the best out of him, and he them best out of them? This point is old here, now: we can't simply look at players' stats in a vacuum, which is what seems to be Darcy's M.O. It doesn't work. Grrr....

Methinks you should stop being a Sabres fan for the next couple of seasons, for your own sanity :lol:

Not everybody needs to be a 6'4" 230# battling gritty forward who scores goals by going to the boards and battling for rebounds. One dimensional teams usually go nowhere.

It sure beats the Battered Wife Syndrome that other fans suffer from.

I'm not one of those that thinks you need to fight or hit to be a gritty team (although, it obviously helps), so I pretty much disagree with this entire thought.

Being "gritty" or "tough" is so so much more than just hitting. In fact, some would argue the toughest players are the ones who are able to take a hit, goes to the dirty areas, and keeps coming back for more.

Want an example? I think Vanek has matured into a really tough player. He's always been able to take a beating, however he seemed to lose the desire to play hard in games where his teammates obviously didn't feel like playing.

This changed this season, though too many times the Sabres were the Vanek line, and Ryan Miller - That's the mark of a truly tough player, you ask me, and we need more guys with this exact mindset.

Guys who by their entire appearance on the ice send the message "Hit me with all you got, I ain't going nowhere, and all I need is one good look".

They don't need to be hitters, they just need to not be pushovers, and they don't need to be 40 goal guys either, as long as they're not 5 goal guys or AHL'ers either.

Unfortunately, something like 80% of the current Sabres are either pushovers, 5 goal guys, or AHL'ers :flirt:

Archived