The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

Oof. Okay - I get to play judge and legislature. Sorta fun. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it in the meantime, have at it.

Oof. Okay - I get to play judge and legislature. Sorta fun. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it in the meantime, have at it.

Hey, I only did appropriations work, I have no idea how to write this kind language except to say that none of the funds necessary to carry out said Act may be used to fund the salaries or benefits whose duties require them administer or adjudicate said Act.

Edited by North Buffalo

Judge Smell, I respectfully submit that your definition of meddling is too narrow. A general manager's duties extend beyond personnel decisions, to matters of hiring (predominantly the coach), strategic direction of the franchise, allocation of financial and other resources, and more.

Further revised proposal on SabresSpace Aud Club Penal Code Section 39.0:

(a) First Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Decision without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class C Felony.

(b) Second Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Decision concerning and in the course of making such Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class D Felony.

( c ) Third Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the third degree when he or she causes his or her General Manager to alter, change, or modify a Decision. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class C Felony.

(d) Fourth Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the fourth degree when he or she is Substantially Involved in any Personnel Decision concerning a Player. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class A Misdemeanor.

(e) Defenses. It shall not be a violation of any provision in this Section for an Owner to request and/or receive reports from his or her General Manager regarding any Proposed Decisions.

(f) Defined Terms. (1) "Owner" means the majority owner of an NHL franchise and shall include his or her team president and any alternate member of the NHL's board of governors appointed by said Owner. (2) "General Manager" means the person with that title who reports to the Owner in question and shall include all people who report directly or indirectly to the General Manager. (3) "Decision" includes any "Personnel Decision" and further includes any final and publicly-communicated decision concerning any of the following: (i) the hiring, firing, and/or retention of the team's head coach, (ii) nationality, age, style of play, or any physical attributes of Players targeted by team for potential Proposed Personnel Decisions, (iii) management of the team's financial resources relative to the NHL salary cap and/or the team's internal operating budget. (4) "Personnel Decision" means a final and publicly-communicated decision to acquire, trade, sign, release, waive, draft, and/or recruit any Player. (5) "Proposed Decision" means a proposal on a Decision that is not yet final and/or not made public by the General Manager or Owner. (6) "Proposed Personnel Decision" means a proposal on a Personnel Decision that is not yet final and/or not made public by the General Manager or Owner. (7) "Player" means any hockey player who is now rostered in the NHL or AHL, has been rostered in the NHL or AHL within the last 12 months, or is eligible to be rostered to an NHL and/or AHL franchise. (8) "Substantially Involved" means any efforts to investigate, evaluate, and/or deliberate on a Proposed Personnel Decision and/or a Personnel Decision.

Edited by That Aud Smell

In the absence of further objection, we will ask that prosecution present a brief indictment pursuant to the last version of Section 39 above. The prosecution should indicate whether it is also seeking a conviction on a lesser included offense (i.e., if you're charging first degree, will you also charge all the way down to fourth degree).

The charge: meddling. I'm more than happy to lead the prosecution. I'm serious. I think it could be fun. We'll pick jurors, have opening and closing arguments, deliberation, a verdict.

Anyone want to defend him? Throw your name into the jury pool?

P.S. We need a judge. I've never seen chz in a black robe, but if anybody could "clear a courtroom"...

Where were you years ago with Ralph Wilson. You could have started this back in the 1960's with him and every decade since.

• 1 month later...

Terry Pegula says he talks to Darcy Regier more than his own wife.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/06/pegula-backs-regier-as-sabres-gm-owner-concerned-about-status-of-vanek-miller.html

And, with that, I'm probably obliged to recuse myself, since I am now entering evidence for the prosecution.

I've come through to the other side and have something of a morbid fascination with watching this all go down.

And, really. What did I really expect in February 2011 and in the months that followed? That our billionaire fan-owner was going to keep the under-performing incumbent GM on a short leash and, following a failed 2011-2012 campaign, bring in cherry-picked hockey savants from the Detroit, Boston, L.A., and/or Pittsburgh systems, and then stand back at a healthy distance in relative anonymity and allow them to go to work as they saw fit?

So he's a meddlesome owner. So what.

I object!

Just because my wife and i talk a lot does not mean she ever listens or follows my advice. See Rose v. Rose.

Sustained, I agree, even when my wife and I talk, I lose every arguement and she always gets the last word. I think at this point the prosecution should rest. The evidence is in and I think it is a slam dunk... err wrong sport, the biscuit is in the basket, guility as charged.... Edited by North Buffalo

Sustained, I agree, even when my wife and I talk, I lose every arguement and she always gets the last word. I think at this point the prosecution should rest. The evidence is in and I think it is a slam dunk... err wrong sport, the biscuit is in the basket, guility as charged....

The lotion is on the skin?

I find this all very disturbing. Terry Pegula is too involved as far as I'm concerned. Sure its his shiny new toy and his moolah but why can't he just stay out of the day to day hockey decisions ? Its bad enough that we have G.M. for life running the show but to top it off the oil and gas man is ' helping ' our hockey genius make decisions. One name comes to mind, Charles Wang. Lord help us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.